Conversions

What are the rules...linesman gave one today which looked to have missed and ref gives it. He said in club after game he wasn't 100% but had to give it cos both linesman did. Can they overrule????? Surely.

My understanding is that it is the referees decision, as in all aspects of the game, the linesmen are there to assist, that said it would take a referee to be 100% sure before he overruled both linesmen I would think. The only times I've seen a referee go against the linesmen was once when there was only 1 and he was standing at the other post to where it potentially missed and a couple of times when one linesman gave it and the other didn't, basically forcing the ref to make a decision. From memory both were low level amateur games with clubmen running the line.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

If both Touch Judges give it, then the referee awards it. If one TJ gives it and the other doesnt, the referee has the casting vote.

This may be of use: http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/official_laws/16_match_officials

If both Touch Judges give it, then the referee awards it. If one TJ gives it and the other doesnt, the referee has the casting vote.

This may be of use: http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rules/official_laws/16_match_officials

St.Pats played at Skirlaugh a couple of seasons back both OFFICIAL touchjudges gave a goal to Pats that had clearly missed the match referee Paul Stockdale didn't give the goal, speaking to him after the game he agreed that to the letter of the law he should have awarded the goal but decided to use common sense as it clearly missed even the Pats kicker Brad Smith agreeing he missed, the other side of the coin about 5-6 years back Pats played at Lock Lane both CLUB tjs gave a goal that missed match referee Robert Hicks gave the goal even though he said afterwards it was wide, Pats lost by 1 point,

I presume the op was at yesterdays East Leeds V Pats game, i thought 2 goals that were given were wide but one of them was a mile wide.

Dinosore has just said that he saw a referee over rule both touch judges and I know him to be an honest man. I have seen it myself as well about two or three years ago. Both appointed touch judges signalled a goal for Eccles and the referee ruled a miss. If I can remember the game I will look through my records and name the ref. From where I was I couldn't say if it was a goal or not. Maybe the ref is not supposed to overrule the touch judges but they have done on at least two occasions. 

I'm not disputing the comments made by either yourself or Dinosore. I'm simply saying that the laws don't allow this to happen.

Under Section 16 of the laws of the game: 
The Referee shall accept the decision of an official Touch Judge relating to touch and touch in-goal play and to kicks at goal.

I'd be inclined to say though that if I was refereeing the game and I'd seen that the ball had blatantly missed (blatant being the key word) then there must be mitigation for the referee to over rule both TJ's.

St.Pats played at Skirlaugh a couple of seasons back both OFFICIAL touchjudges gave a goal to Pats that had clearly missed the match referee Paul Stockdale didn't give the goal, speaking to him after the game he agreed that to the letter of the law he should have awarded the goal but decided to use common sense as it clearly missed even the Pats kicker Brad Smith agreeing he missed, the other side of the coin about 5-6 years back Pats played at Lock Lane both CLUB tjs gave a goal that missed match referee Robert Hicks gave the goal even though he said afterwards it was wide, Pats lost by 1 point,

I presume the op was at yesterdays East Leeds V Pats game, i thought 2 goals that were given were wide but one of them was a mile wide.

No, this was at Shaw X. Interesting to learn that the laws give refs no room for manoeuvre but some choose to ignore that rule. I suppose refs and touchies are in the best position to call on these things, just like Danny Brough drop goal last year which was given as a miss. Without ridiculously high goal posts it is difficult to judge. 

Archived