EVEL - The perfect acronym for an act of political stupidity

Could there be a better acronym than 'EVEL' for the ludicrous and self-serving Tory plans to turn the House of Commons into a de facto English Parliament purely because it serves their short term interests to do so.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-threatens-second-independence-referendum-over-english-votes-for-english-laws-10363476.html

Won't stop English MPs voting on items specific to Scotland, Wales or NI though.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

When you have a century of the main parties avoiding federalism and then parcelling up differing and conflicting levels of devolution this is what happens.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

When you have a century of the main parties avoiding federalism and then parcelling up differing and conflicting levels of devolution this is what happens.

Now is the time to look at federalism any NI issues should be NI only MPs , etc. As devolution becomes stronger and more powers are passed over to the respective assemblies then stronger the lines of federalism should be.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

It is the time to look at it but it's not going to happen.  Instead we have different models and strengths of devolution all over the UK.  London has an incredibly powerful mayor and a powerless assembly, Scotland has a parliament.  The north has a promise of a powerhouse.  Wales has a comedy Senedd.  Northern Ireland has an Assembly that seems very effective at stopping a return to violence but I'm not sure it does much else.  It's all bonkers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We had a referendum to devolve power to the regions a few years ago. Nobody wanted it by a factor of about 8:2. It was a landslide to keep the status quo.

One referendum, over a decade ago, on a vague idea with no cohesion.

Archived