Toulouse

rooster2003

I think having a go at ref's is a tradition at all levels in all sports, and we always notice the other teams faults, but some ref's are not good enough, some don't even signal why they have made a decision, or let things go for a long period then suddenly out of the blue produce a yellow card, but having said that, I could not do it.

Absolutely it's a tradition, for donkeys we sang in unison who's the basket in the black ( I think that was the words) but recently with the multi-coloured kit nobody has come up with the appropriate adjective.

​On a more serious note, players in our league are semi-pro and in most cases are paid under the winning/losing formula, it can make a big difference to their pay packet each week, and therefore it seems only reasonable to have the best standard of officials the RFL can employ, these people can make the difference in the final outcome of a game. 

Absolutely it's a tradition, for donkeys we sang in unison who's the basket in the black ( I think that was the words) but recently with the multi-coloured kit nobody has come up with the appropriate adjective.

​On a more serious note, players in our league are semi-pro and in most cases are paid under the winning/losing formula, it can make a big difference to their pay packet each week, and therefore it seems only reasonable to have the best standard of officials the RFL can employ, these people can make the difference in the final outcome of a game.

We do get the best they can employ relative to the level we play at.

I bet the RFL realise that the standard isn't that good but it is the best they have. The problem is there are too few referees on the panel.

Every time a referee walks away from the game because of abuse the standard drops just a little.

Our favourite ref GH from up the coast is now getting Superleague games and you know what? He's doing alright.

I often go to games as a neutral and listening to the home supporters I'm watching a different ref to them.

It takes a strong character to be able to drive a hundred miles to officiate in a game, get roundly abused by both sets of fans, drive home with that ringing in their ears and then do it again the following week.

I cannot believe that any referee sets out for the day and thinks to himself " I think I'll have a stinker today and today I'll support the team in red"

It doesn't happen.

Without referees we haven't got a game. Yes, they make mistakes and when it's in our favour we smile and say " about time we had a bit of luck" but those fans on the other side of the ground don't see it like that.

We realy do have to remember the 2 rules

1) The Referee is always right

2) When the referee is wrong, see rule 1.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived