Are They Right: The Bunker is Flawed?

Trent Barret blowing up about the decision to award Penrith a go ahead try and getting support from Freddy this morning on the footy show.

as far as I am concerned, the system works and works well. The referee has made the decision that it is a try. Unless there is anything in the video replay that tells you it is not a try, then we will award it. What is wrong with that system? It seems like the best process to me. 

Had the referee just sent it up, there is no conclusive evidence anyway that the ball touched his finger, so benefit of the doubt, try.

whats your thoughts?

Given the circumstances where the ref referred it having called try himself, the outcome was right. Not enough evidence to over rule.

You can understand Barrett being upset, as it was a key moment in the game.

He has been quoted as saying the (bunker) system is massively wrong.

The system for me is much better for having this review process and getting a considered outcome.

99% of decisions (my own statistic based on gut feeling nothing else) will be right as opposed to the chance element of the past.

What this shows is that even with the latest technology and various camera angles there will be 'touch and go' decisions or 'not touch and go' ones . 

How could the system be made better?

Problem is, coaches are never upset when the wrong calls go their way. Can't have it both ways. Manly lost because there was a better team on the park. Cronulla lost for the same reason.

The guys in the bunker are far from perfect (see the Radradra howler a couple of weeks back) but the current system is fine. I'd love to see a captain's challenge instead of the automatic video referral we see nowadays though (think field hockey or cricket). That's the only change I'd make.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Found this just now:

While captain’s challenges would seem most useful in resolving decisions regarding tries, the challenges have also been used to review 50-50 calls, such as strips.

Under the trial rules, each captain will be allowed to challenge the referee’s decision in relation to tries only.

In the Dragons v Knights trial, the bunker will continue to be used for 40/20 rulings, goal line drop outs and 20 metre restarts, reportable foul play, double knock-on rulings and to determine which team touched the ball last before going over the touchline.

And this:

HOW THE TRIAL WILL WORK

- Can only be used to challenge a try or no-try ruling

- Captains will have 20 seconds following a try/no-try decision to challenge the decision.

- No replays either at normal speed or in slow motion, will be shown on a big screen at the ground until the time allowed for requesting of a captain’s challenge has elapsed.

- A captain may request a review of any try/point-scoring decision made by an on-field official in relation to: groundings, knock-ons, obstruction, double movement, offside, touchline/touch-in-goal/dead-in-goal, tackle in the air, steals involving two or more defenders, foul play, as well as goals and field goals.

- Captains will get one incorrect challenge per half - allowing for multiple challenges as long as the review overturns the on-field call.

I think it was trialed for 1 game and binned faster than James Maloney. The bunker was deemed the perfect solution. I suppose they don't want to burden the players with too much responsibilities. Imagine having to catch the ball and think on occasion?

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Archived