33rd Time Around

When I'm trawling though my music ( more or less always on laptop now) I'm aware of how much old stuff I've put together. Now some of this is memories, and a bit of nostalgia for a disappearing world that David Attenborough won't make a Planet series about. But a lot of it is from well before my dad was a twinkle in his dad's eye and I was just wondering how many others among the music lovers on here if you have older stuff that wasn't part of your lifetime but you still think is magic? It was me Mam who introduced me to Billie Holliday and a mate who gave me Fred Astaire and Ella Fitzgerald and a few of radio presenters who took me down roads I never thought I'd go! So now my collection is like the V&A or Hermitage of music.

So it's thanks to the ancestors on this one.

(I don't know about you but I also think avoiding politics which bring out everything that's pants  in people and talking music is far better!)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The CD era (with the re-issue boom that came with it), followed by the age of the internet, has really made so much music from the whole of recording history more available than ever. It is a truly great time to be a music lover.

Using the 'by year' view on my media player, I have recordings on my hard drive from 1926 (Alfred Cortot playing Chopin) right up to the present day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The CD era (with the re-issue boom that came with it), followed by the age of the internet, has really made so much music from the whole of recording history more available than ever. It is a truly great time to be a music lover.

Using the 'by year' view on my media player, I have recordings on my hard drive from 1926 (Alfred Cortot playing Chopin) right up to the present day.

It's great now with the availability and as you say "It is a truly great time to be a music lover." My friends introduced to so much and I thank them for the help, I thank the inventors of t'interweb, but I think this is sounding like an Oscar Speech!

Step away from the Tixylix and locate your designated driver.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Oh dear God, don't we have enough of this ###### nostalgia music ###### on other web sites, and dreadful threads on here. Bog off to the 1950's:laugh:

Does nostalgia depend on you being there in the first place or just wishful thinking about the past? You must know the answer to this you're a TGG fan.

And the question/OP was really about who gave you the music and what music was it?

And anyway bog off back to the chuffin' politics threads with your pants head banger attitudes!;)

And films and TV dramas are responsible for me discovering just how good the stuff Grandad liked actually was!

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

4Qwin awful music

Ask the Mods for help and they'll put this on the cross code nonsense for you!;)

And if you weren't so biased you could have put your Mum (or whoever) and the music you think is wonderful.

And do you know that, unless it was Adolf Hitler introduced me to drunken, out of  tune, tone deaf karaoke singers,  no one would've objected in the slightest!:biggrin:

And before some one jumps to the devil's advocate defence for Karaoke singers if I want to hear people who can't sing I go to TV singing contests.

In one of those odd coincidences at the dentist today in Q magazine ( which is the literate equivalent of yawnion and paint drying) there was an article on the final passing to the next life of the Rock/Pop era. R I P It was mourned slightly and casually and pretty brutally consigned to the bin of history. But then the article seemed to take a left turn out of nowhere and he decided to try and collect as much of it as possible.

Out of Time, another era and there he was willing to give it a go even though he started off the whole thing by say he didn't like Lou Reed! Weirdo!

Archived