Grand Final Ring

Watching Rugby AM tonight. Jesse Sene-Lefao was the guest. Jesse was a member of the Cronulla Sharks squad the year they won the trophy. Jesse never got a ring you had to play in the final to get a ring. Personally I find that harsh, even JJB was shocked.

There are lot of Soccer players with winners medals having never kicked a ball in the final be it World,  European or even FA Cup.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:42 AM, Irish Saint said:

Watching Rugby AM tonight. Jesse Sene-Lefao was the guest. Jesse was a member of the Cronulla Sharks squad the year they won the trophy. Jesse never got a ring you had to play in the final to get a ring. Personally I find that harsh, even JJB was shocked.

There are lot of Soccer players with winners medals having never kicked a ball in the final be it World,  European or even FA Cup.

It’s a little different, not completely though I will concede.

Correct me if I am wrong... the WC and Euro cup medals are awarded to all squad members selected for that short tournament. An FA cup winner medal is only awarded to players selected in the game day squad, similar to the 17 selected for the NRL GF.

Can’t hand out NRL GF rings for non participating squad members in my opinion. I’m comfortable with this.

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a little different, not completely though I will concede.

Correct me if I am wrong... the WC and Euro cup medals are awarded to all squad members selected for that short tournament. An FA cup winner medal is only awarded to players selected in the game day squad, similar to the 17 selected for the NRL GF.

Can’t hand out NRL GF rings for non participating squad members in my opinion. I’m comfortable with this.

Regarding the FA Cup the winning team receive 30 winners medals.

Regarding the European trophies that totally rises to 40  In both cases more can be requested.

Naturally then those unable to participate in the final due to suspension or injury will receive a medal.

However in the case of the NRL a team's player of the year who never missed a game apart from the final does not.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

7 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Regarding the FA Cup the winning team receive 30 winners medals.

Regarding the European trophies that totally rises to 40  In both cases more can be requested.

Naturally then those unable to participate in the final due to suspension or injury will receive a medal.

However in the case of the NRL a team's player of the year who never missed a game apart from the final does not.

Taught me something there about soccer medals. Sounds like the physio gets one.

Yep, it’s a tough gig. AFL is the same. I prefer it the way it is. You don’t win a medal for finishing minor premier. So despite doing whatever you did in the season, you can only win a GF by playing in the GF.

I understand not everyone will agree with my sentiment.

I think the Premier League has it right,a player who plays a certain amount of games,I think it's around 12 gets a winners medal,yes there is no GF but the NRL regular season plays a huge part in how a team goes in the play offs and a player who misses out on Grand Final selection for any reason should get rewarded if he's played his part in getoting his team there.

Yes, I tend to agree with Diehard.

I always felt sorry for Jimmy Greaves in 66 who was probably England’s most prolific goalscorer but who missed out on World Cup glory due to injury and Alf Ramsey sticking by with a successful line up minus JG.

As a non-playing squad member in 1966, Greaves didn’t receive a World Cup winner’s medal but in 2009 he was presented with a medal after the Football Association led a campaign to persuade FIFA to award medals to all the winners’ squad members.”

Archived