London in Superleague

10 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Nailed it.

Yet London Broncos are idiots for not being able to fill a 60,000 seater stadium in London that is full of people who watch RL on TV, Aussies, Kiwis and Northerners who love RL.

It is a second sport at best for people in London. often 3rd behind their Soccer Club and Union Club.

London Broncos have done exactly the right thing targeting local Schools, Residents and QPR and it's fans to try and make Broncos their second Club for when Rangers are away that weekend or the season is finished. 

Slow organic growth.

Haven’t they tried the “second club” thing with Football Clubs before and failed? They started off called after a Football team, even playing in their colours and they’ve played at Brentford, Barnet and Charlton in the past and that has never really swollen their attendances. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Slow organic growth.

Absolutely, but don't forget the community game completely. Towards the end of the season Brixton Bulls had loads of minis along to games and seemed really engaged. Whether that results in bums on seats when Brixton aren’t organising, who knows. Similarly St Albans u14s played pre games on pitch 2, versus Bromley (second successive year) and Eastern Rhinos. Again, did it subsequently result in bums on seats, not sure. Did it raise awareness of Broncos to a new audience, yes. Did the Broncos maximise the opportunity to sell themselves, definitely not.

The mere fact that a child is playing rugby league, suggests they’re at the very least aware of the game, which is a starting point. If Broncos feel there is mileage in developing that embryo, then look at an acceptable radius and crack on.

I have always believed that Broncos need to kick off an associate community club, say Ealing Excitement or whatever and get involved in the London League and inevitably that will mean more kids and parents aware of the Broncos and as part of the London League format, have community clubs visit, increasing exposure. This would contribute to slow organic growth.

12 hours ago, Leonard said:

I travel over 2 hours each way from Tunbridge Wells and don't mind.

The whinging on here is unbelievable.

Not quite as far for me (Bromley - 90ish minutes) but I'll happily travel to watch RL

2 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Not quite as far for me (Bromley - 90ish minutes) but I'll happily travel to watch RL

I live about thirty minutes from Trailfinders and I love RL but I have no affinity with Broncos. I ll go when they play Wigan,Salford or even St Helens .

2 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

Absolutely and last year the club launched a community club partnership scheme in which the amatuer club gets several season tickets, a signed shirt, a private bbq with first team players, coaching from the first team staff and an allocated player for their club to do presentations and encourage the kids.

It will take time but the club is trying everything it can to develop the junior players into fans as well as tap into nearby football fan markets and schools/businesses. 

That is both interesting and new to me !!

Out of interest, which club were engaged and at what age groups ?

And was it well received by those involved ?

3 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I live about thirty minutes from Trailfinders and I love RL but I have no affinity with Broncos. I ll go when they play Wigan,Salford or even St Helens .

Well, I have no affinity either in truth. I'm not a Londoner. But I like watching quality league and that is what they have been providing recently.

4 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

I think from memory 2 or 3 replied and London Chargers were one that were dead keen but not many bothered to my knowledge. 

You need to be aware of it to be bothered. So, I am involved at St Albans, I am a season ticket holder at Broncos, I have every reason to make it work and yet had no idea this was a possibility.

If the focus is on the likes of Chargers with no junior section but a healthy, social open age then fair enough. Frankly that is so wrong. Back in the day we had Garside and Lovegrove come up and run a session in St Albans. Top blokes, top session, but no 'sell' of the Broncos product.

Broncos need to sharpen up their act. Use a network in the community game and speak to them / get ideas / plan, its no use relying on Rob Powell turning up to the monthly London JL Board meetings as a demonstration of being proactive. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Archived