Rochdale hornet recongised

For those historians amongst the group I today received a British Lions cap from the RFU in recognition of my great, great grandfather John Nolan who went on the first ever lions tour in 1888. John played for Rochdale Hornets and is the first ever hatrick tryscorer for the lions as well as the top tryscorer from the tour. The majority of the side who went was from clubs that less then 10 years later become the northern union. Represented on the tour was Rochdale, Swinton, Bramley, Halifax, Batley, and Salford. 

It goes to show that even though some of the sides are not Super powers in the game today they still have a rich valuable history and we need to make sure that is never lost. I am so pleased that 130 years on the British lions still recongise these men despite being from the breakaway clubs. If you are bored tonight have a search about the 1888 lions, its a cracking read. 

IMG_20181120_142009_681.jpg

In sharp contrast to the great britain rl, my grear uncle played for G B, in the 20s and I emailed the organisers of the heritage numbers and asked for his certificate, as the last member of the family left, I was told to prove it, and I asked how do I do that and they then ignored me. 

If any of the powers of  be here can assist I would be grateful. I don't want a meal I just wanted his number 

7 minutes ago, clifford said:

In sharp contrast to the great britain rl, my grear uncle played for G B, in the 20s and I emailed the organisers of the heritage numbers and asked for his certificate, as the last member of the family left, I was told to prove it, and I asked how do I do that and they then ignored me. 

If any of the powers of  be here can assist I would be grateful. I don't want a meal I just wanted his number 

We was asked to prove it as it was 130 years ago but luckily a family member had all the birth certs from jonnys son up to me. We then had to get a solicitor to sign off the proof. I'd imagine there is some value in the cap especially being from the first tour and a heritage number as low as 10 put of 800+ (not that I would ever sell) 

I remember reading a book about that tour, it was not supported by the RFU and was a private business venture,and the players did get a cut of the gate receipts.

Nearly all the players came from the north of England and southern Scotland and the tour also included games of Australian Rules and even some cricket, anything the tour operators thought might make money.What an adventure it must have been for those young men.

Archived