Programme Watch: Which clubs are issuing them in 2019?

24/2/19, Betfred Championship

Swinton Lions v Toulouse Olympique: £3 (36 pages, 19 of them ads - that's what allows, I guess, Lions to continue with a printed programme despite small attendances at Heywood Road. Reasonable content, on unusually thick paper, though Rhodri Lloyd's Captain's Log filled a page, even though it extended only to 75 words!)

Swinton_Lions_RLFC_Match_programme_cover_scan,_36pp_(£3)_versus_Toulouse_Olympique_Rugby_League_Championship,_24-26,_601_24-02-19.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Swinton .v. Toulouse and picked up the Bradford programme while I was there as well. I would expect programmes to be full of adverts. That's what makes them worth printing. As long as the other info is in them I don't care how many adverts. Messages from chairman/ coach & captain are usually predictable wherever you go. Only Kevin Nicholas at Batley wrote stuff that would surprise you. There is a quiz, player profile, results and fixtures and article about opponents. All the usual stuff is there but in the first  2 editions Swinton have included really interesting articles on programmes from the past.

This, then, is where we are after the latest round of games (updates welcome):

Still in print (programme for individual matches): Barrow (£2.50), Coventry (£2), Dewsbury (£2.50, 24pp), Huddersfield (£3), London Broncos (£3, 40pp), London Skolars (£2.50), North Wales (price/pp nk, 2019 'matchday magazine' advertised on club website), Oldham (£3, 24pp), St Helens (£3), Salford (£3), Sheffield (£3, 40pp), Swinton (£3, 36pp), Toulouse (price/pp n/k), Warrington (£3), Whitehaven (£2.50), Wigan (price/pp nk), Workington (price/pp n/k), York (£3, 26pp)

Still in print (monthly magazine): Castleford (Roar, £1), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Hunslet (South of the River, price n/k)

Still in print (matchday information sheet): Doncaster (two sides of A4, 50p)

Still in print (local newspaper insert): Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield

Digital only: Batley (free to download), Hull KR (register for free download), Leigh (free to download), West Wales (free to download)

No programme of any description: Featherstone, Newcastle (though Thunder issued what appears to be a one-off 'physical' programme for the 25/3 Toronto double-header), Widnes

To be confirmed: Catalans, Keighley, Leeds (Rhinos claim to sell 3,500 'physical' programmes every home game therefore I can't see why they won't continue 'in print'), Rochdale, Toronto

I was approached yesterday by somebody I know from Swinton to see if I would be interested in contributing to the content of their programme because they want to make it more interesting. I used to have a page covering all the local amateur clubs and I did that from 1989-90 season to 1994-95 season. I only stopped because semi-pro moved to Summer and amateur remained winter so I had nothing to write about.

2 hours ago, neutralfan said:

Good because  I will go to Keighley versus Coventry on Sunday.Only £10  admission.I got a programme at Leigh East versus Drig last Saturday btw.

Yes, 'proper' programmes shouldn't be a problem in the NCL (still mandatory, as far as I know). Apparently, Woolston Rovers sold their programme for a quid (on top of £2 admission) at Saturday's opener against Hensingham. Hoping to be at Keighley myself on Sunday, with a trip over to Hensingham lined up the day before.

The only amateur ground I didn't get a programme last season was Waterhead. I will be at Oldham St. Annes .v. Salford City Roosters and Halifax .v. Swinton this weekend. I am getting too old to travel as much as I used to but I have programmes from amateur games from all over the Country, including Adlington, Atherton, Heysham Atoms, Staff of Life ARLFC, Bath, Ipswich Rhinos, Irlam Hornets, Birkenshaw, Pendlebury Cromwell, Langworthy, Folly Lane, Milton Keynes, Valley Cougars, Bridgend Blue Bulls, South Norfolk Saints, Blackwood Bulldogs and many, many more that I can't bring to mind right now.

51 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Hello Hopping Mad. I have just received a message from Ian Golden to say that West Wales Raiders WILL be producing a traditional programme to buy at the game this season.

Well done, Ian Golden. Might well tempt me down there. I've seen Llanelli FC at Stebonheath but not the Raiders.

As expected, Leeds are continuing with a 'physical' (printed) programme (£3, pp nk) throughout 2019. Rhinos have tweeted about this season's "new look" first issue of Blue & Amber, available at this evening's game against Wakefield. Leeds say: Issue 1 includes an exclusive chat with Trent Merrin, Brett Ferres and Ben Jones-Bishop plus the return of the centre spread poster featuring Adam Cuthbertson.

Latest update (we almost have the full picture now - nowhere near as bad as I feared, though 2020 might be a different story):

Still in print (programme for individual matches): Barrow (£2.50), Coventry (£2), Dewsbury (£2.50, 24pp), Huddersfield (£3), Keighley (price/pp nk), Leeds (£3, pp nk) London Broncos (£3, 40pp), London Skolars (£2.50), North Wales (price/pp nk, 2019 'matchday magazine' advertised on club website), Oldham (£3, 24pp), St Helens (£3), Salford (£3), Sheffield (£3, 40pp), Swinton (£3, 36pp), Toulouse (price/pp nk), Warrington (£3), West Wales (price/pp nk), Whitehaven (£2.50), Wigan (price/pp nk), Workington (price/pp nk), York (£3, 26pp)

Still in print (monthly magazine): Castleford (Roar, £1), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Hunslet (South of the River, price n/k)

Still in print (local newspaper insert): Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield

Digital only: Batley (free to download), Hull KR (register for free download), Leigh (free to download)

No programme of any description: Featherstone, Newcastle (though Thunder issued what appears to be a one-off 'physical' programme for the 25/3 Toronto double-header), Widnes

To be confirmed: Catalans, Rochdale, Toronto

19 minutes ago, neutralfan said:

Publishing costs?If ncl clubs can print a matchday programme then why cant richer Pro clubs?

You do wonder, don't you. Maybe amateur clubs find it easier to attract volunteers (and, let's face it, selling ads for then editing a match programme week after week is usually a labour of love for somebody) than others higher up the food chain.

3/3/19, Betfred League One

Keighley Cougars v Coventry Bears: £3 (56 pages, a very good issue, with plenty of reading and great photography - clearly edited by a person - or persons - who cares). Sold from the club shop (at the Royd Ings Avenue end of Cougar Park's main stand), where free teamsheets are also available. Looks as though a different action picture will feature on the cover of each issue. Good ad for the Whitehaven News!

Keighley_Cougars_RLFC_Match_programme_cover_scan,_56pp_(£3)_versus_Coventry_Bears_League_One,_40-9,_915_03-03-19.jpg

Update after the March 2/3 round of games:

Still in print (programme for individual matches): Barrow (£2.50), Coventry (£2), Dewsbury (£2.50, 24pp), Huddersfield (£3), Keighley (£3, 56pp), Leeds (£3) London Broncos (£3, 40pp), London Skolars (£2.50), North Wales (£2), Oldham (£3, 24pp), St Helens (£3), Salford (£3), Sheffield (£3, 40pp), Swinton (£3, 36pp), Toulouse (8pp, price nk), Warrington (£3), West Wales (£2), Whitehaven (£2.50), Wigan (price/pp nk), Workington (price/pp nk), York (£3, 26pp)

Still in print (monthly magazine): Castleford (Roar, £1), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Hunslet (South of the River, £3)

Still in print (newspaper style, done by the local newspaper): Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield

Digital only: Batley (free to download), Hull KR (register for free download), Leigh (free to download)

No programme of any description: Featherstone, Newcastle (though Thunder issued what appears to be a one-off 'physical' programme for the 25/3 Toronto double-header), Rochdale, Widnes

To be confirmed: Catalans, Toronto

9/2/19, Betfred Championship

Toulouse Olympique v Widnes Vikings: price nk, could be free (eight glossy pages containing virtually no reading matter other than two pages on the visitors (including the squad), the Toulouse squad, the league table and the round's Championship fixtures)

Toulouse_Olympique_RLFC_Match_programme_cover_scan,_8pp_versus_Widnes_Vikings_Rugby_League_Championship,_24-36_09-02-19.jpg

South of the River, the monthly magazine issued by Hunslet, costs £3. It's from the same design stable - @AllDesignPrint - as the programmes issued by Dewsbury, Heworth and York. The March edition of South of the River covers the home games against West Wales, West Bowling and Coventry. Looks smart!

Heworth's 2019 programme - which looks the best I've seen from the York-based National Conference League amateurs - costs a quid.

D0l8JaBWsAIEG7H.jpg

D0l8JaCW0AEVejS.jpg

Archived