Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Leigh (H)

Recommended Posts

Think the previous chairman Bob McDermott needs to shoulder a lot of the blame. NK did come back two seasons ago and save us from relegation turning round a team which was underperforming and seemingly unable to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think the previous chairman Bob McDermott needs to shoulder a lot of the blame. NK did come back two seasons ago and save us from relegation turning round a team which was underperforming and seemingly unable to win.

Should he return again as seemingly we are unable to win now?


Legs, Dews, Legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Your lack of knowledge of what went on is dismaying, particularly if it is shared by everyone else.

You'll be telling me next that the last 17 years of struggling times at Dewsbury are all down to NK. You may be correct. Your knowledge of what actually occurred would be very interesting to hear . Maybe one day you will share it for all of us out here who maybe not as informed as you were. We all know we overspent and the club was financially mismanaged. What else is there to convince me it was NK's doing. I'm all ears convince me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, youngun said:

You'll be telling me next that the last 17 years of struggling times at Dewsbury are all down to NK. You may be correct. Your knowledge of what actually occurred would be very interesting to hear . Maybe one day you will share it for all of us out here who maybe not as informed as you were. We all know we overspent and the club was financially mismanaged. What else is there to convince me it was NK's doing. I'm all ears convince me.

And I love the prospect of a writ for slander!

As I said if you have passed the previous 18 years without gaining any insight into what went on at the club in those years then you must be happy to pile all of the blame onto those who stepped in at the last minute, saving the club from oblivion in the process.

Anybody who couldn't see that we were living vastly beyond our means at that time is happily innocent, in my view. If you were a season ticket holder at the time you could also have been held liable for a share of the club's debts - did you know that?

It wasn't just Bob Mc's doing by a long chalk.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2019 at 23:19, Blind side johnny said:

And I love the prospect of a writ for slander!

As I said if you have passed the previous 18 years without gaining any insight into what went on at the club in those years then you must be happy to pile all of the blame onto those who stepped in at the last minute, saving the club from oblivion in the process.

Anybody who couldn't see that we were living vastly beyond our means at that time is happily innocent, in my view. If you were a season ticket holder at the time you could also have been held liable for a share of the club's debts - did you know that?

It wasn't just Bob Mc's doing by a long chalk.

As we know Bob Mac served from 1996 to 2003 or so as a Director of the club, forming the limited company that oversaw operations and transitioning the club away from being a members club. 

His official title was Accountant and he was responsible, along with 2 other directors for the insolvency of the holding company, going down for over £200k and being held personally responsible for the VAT arrears. 

I'm not sure how, as the club accountant and chairman, as well as Director and spokesperson, he could not be held responsible.

As for Ned, he was a very convincing and influential coach who signed a lot of players including many promising youngsters. I can't believe he had an open cheque book but if he did, how was that possible without the say so from the money men in the business?

This next bit is speculation on my part but if I recall it correctly NTL a fledgling internet/TV company who were big at the time, were sponsoring the club and the talk was that the future of the club in Super League was built on their continued support. When the club were denied/or sidestepped promotion then NTL pulled out, I assume leaving the club with a big hole to fill. The problem for Bob, according to the BBC article I read at the time,  was that he knew the club was in a pickle but let the club continue trading insolvent racking up the debt, I assume to honour players contracts etc.

I don't recall Bob being a charlatan, I simply remember what a mess the club ended up in chasing rainbows. It was however a very enjoyable ride.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met Bob McDermott once. If you remember, they tried to establish an overnight truck stop at the Rams. He told me they had the places booked up for months in advance. Thought that was a bit strange for a new venture. It was completely untrue, not sure why he said it. But a quick Google shows he's been director of a number of companies. Don't know what his motivation was, but he ended up being disqualified as a director for trading when the club was insolvent, the club ended up owing £200k. Walter Mitty or Billy Liar? Who knows.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2019 at 11:26, Ackroman said:

As we know Bob Mac served from 1996 to 2003 or so as a Director of the club, forming the limited company that oversaw operations and transitioning the club away from being a members club. 

His official title was Accountant and he was responsible, along with 2 other directors for the insolvency of the holding company, going down for over £200k and being held personally responsible for the VAT arrears. 

I'm not sure how, as the club accountant and chairman, as well as Director and spokesperson, he could not be held responsible.

As for Ned, he was a very convincing and influential coach who signed a lot of players including many promising youngsters. I can't believe he had an open cheque book but if he did, how was that possible without the say so from the money men in the business?

This next bit is speculation on my part but if I recall it correctly NTL a fledgling internet/TV company who were big at the time, were sponsoring the club and the talk was that the future of the club in Super League was built on their continued support. When the club were denied/or sidestepped promotion then NTL pulled out, I assume leaving the club with a big hole to fill. The problem for Bob, according to the BBC article I read at the time,  was that he knew the club was in a pickle but let the club continue trading insolvent racking up the debt, I assume to honour players contracts etc.

I don't recall Bob being a charlatan, I simply remember what a mess the club ended up in chasing rainbows. It was however a very enjoyable ride.

A holding company wholly owned by the member's club, I believe.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...