world brands

5 hours ago, SuperMario said:

For rugby league outside of rugby league circles, its really just Wigan. 

True. Just goes to show that a bit of biff at a grand final plastered on the BBC evening news doesn’t go unnoticed and raises brand awareness.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

5 hours ago, SuperMario said:

For rugby league outside of rugby league circles, its really just Wigan. 

Disagree. That’s unless you’re asking someone 40+. Most people in their 20’s-30’s would be more likely to associate Wigan with Football these days and most people that age group probably wouldn’t be able to name you a side.

As someone in my mid 20s from down south I associate Wigan far more with the football side and their spell in the Premier League, and so would (almost?) all of my mates. St. Helens, Rhinos, Cas, Bronocs are the clubs that come to mind when I think of RL.

On 01/08/2019 at 07:48, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It depends on the age of who you asked but I guarantee plenty more would be more likely to say Football than Rugby League given Wigan Athletic’s spell in the Premier League, FA Cup run and their association with Will Grigg. 

Think when you say Wigan more would say rugby (football is my first sport and that’s a general vibe I get). St Helens i would say would come next. Those would be the two stand outs. Not many would name Warrington or Hull. Leeds (while probably the biggest RL club in terms of support/finances) doesn’t have the “RL town” label that a Wigan or St Helens does...even being out of the PL for over a decade Leeds United are still one of the biggest clubs in the country (easily top 10 right now, and being in the PL  they’d move back into the top 7).

Wigan vs St Helens might not be the biggest fixture inside RL circles (Leeds would argue that one), but it’s the fixture most identified among the wider public.

5 hours ago, DC77 said:

Think when you say Wigan more would say rugby (football is my first sport and that’s a general vibe I get). St Helens i would say would come next. Those would be the two stand outs. Not many would name Warrington or Hull. Leeds (while probably the biggest RL club in terms of support/finances) doesn’t have the “RL town” label that a Wigan or St Helens does...even being out of the PL for over a decade Leeds United are still one of the biggest clubs in the country (easily top 10 right now, and being in the PL  they’d move back into the top 7).

Wigan vs St Helens might not be the biggest fixture inside RL circles (Leeds would argue that one), but it’s the fixture most identified among the wider public.

I really don’t agree. As someone in my late 20’s, most my age or around that would be more likely to say Football because of Wigan’s approx ten year spell in the Premier League and FA Cup win. 

Archived