Super League 9s

The only way you can have this mid season and get teams to really take it seriously is if it has an impact on the SL.

Is it too "out there" to have the tournaments be worth SL points? Say 4 groups of 3. The 4 group winners go to the semis and then a final. If you don't make it through the group you get nothing. Losing semi finalists get a point. Losing finalist gets 2. Winners get 3 (and a trophy). That's 15 games spread over a weekend. The teams will send their strongest sides because there are league points to be had. Do it twice a season (say May and August). I think it could work.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MZH said:

The only way you can have this mid season and get teams to really take it seriously is if it has an impact on the SL.

Is it too "out there" to have the tournaments be worth SL points? Say 4 groups of 3. The 4 group winners go to the semis and then a final. If you don't make it through the group you get nothing. Losing semi finalists get a point. Losing finalist gets 2. Winners get 3 (and a trophy). That's 15 games spread over a weekend. The teams will send their strongest sides because there are league points to be had. Do it twice a season (say May and August). I think it could work.

I think it’s probably “too out there”, if I’m honest. 

The change of format of the game, e.g the loss of four players and various rule differences, while still offering league points is not really fair. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The change of format of the game, e.g the loss of four players and various rule differences, while still offering league points is not really fair. 

You are maybe right. I just don't see how else you are going to be able to play this mid season and get sides to really buy in.

If it's just a stand alone event it needs to be a pre season comp, otherwise it's just going to be the reserves that turn up.

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

You are maybe right. I just don't see how else you are going to be able to play this mid season and get sides to really buy in.

If it's just a stand alone event it needs to be a pre season comp, otherwise it's just going to be the reserves that turn up.

Prize money, but are we going to get a blue chip sponsor likely to offer up such a sum that it becomes worth it for clubs? Unlikely. 

39 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Instead of awarding points, how about using a teams placement in the tournament as a tie breaker if they have the same number of points as another team in SL.

Archived