Rugby League and politics

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It will end up in the same place as the previous thread on this

Ah, I didn't think to check the politics section as i though it was more about RL tbh Everything involves politics in one way or another and RL evolved from a political issue as described in the graun.

One of the main reasons that Football became the dominant sport in England was its lack of a political bias.

In my opinion, being both a League geek and a staunch Tory, the commentary on this is inaccurate and stinks of a stir up. Im a generation of people who were slaughtered by the Blair and his cronies successive governments like many in these 'League Northern towns'. The generation before may have fallen victim to Thatchers breaking of the Unions, but many of these same people are the ones wanting out of Europe.

Regardless of the Article, the fact that our sport is being recognised by those down south as a political tool is both interesting and actually encouraging. There is opportunity for us in that.

8 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Ah, I didn't think to check the politics section as i though it was more about RL tbh Everything involves politics in one way or another and RL evolved from a political issue as described in the graun.

We took a decision earlier this year to keep all political discussion away from other areas of the forum in its own sub-forum, due to the high numbers of fake/multiple registrations taking place from those who just wanted to push their own political views on others and generally cause trouble. Since we did that, the number of reported posts from such threads has decreased for 3-5 per day to almost zero, although participation in those threads hasn't reduced at all.

On that basis, we feel our decision has been vindicated and will not be changed.

For that reason alone, this thread is now being locked, as the subject of the thread is already under discussion in the political sub-forum.

Those who want to enjoy using the forum without having other people's political views involuntarily shoved in their face can do so, and those who are interested in politics can also continue their discussions in (relative) peace.

Archived