Sign in to follow this  
POR

golden point

15 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I see the sense in this, but it does create an unlikely, but possible, perverse incentive for two sides to settle for a draw in normal time. Only time will tell.

Agreed.

OK, this might be unlikely but it could happen ......

The last match of the season and two teams are playing each other with one team needing one point to avoid relegation and the other needing two points to win the title.

So they agree to having a draw after 80 minutes and then the title-chasing team to win by golden point. They are both happy !

What do you say - it would never happen ?

Wouldn't it ???

My personal opinion is that a draw after 80 minutes should be the final result and not have any golden point extra time. Match times are already overrunning due to the number of stoppages now during a game and extra time will just add more to that.

It may be mildly interesting to know if this was the idea of the RFL attempting to add to the idea taken by Super League from the NRL,or of the club owners,of championship/League 1 clubs, wanted it implemented.

I shouldn't think the coaches and/or players were consulted.

Or maybe the idea was drawn from a hat.

We sometimes get informed as to how a decision was reached...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I always ask, like the bonus point system, if its such a good idea then why do us poor championship clubs have to be the ones to try it out? I do like the idea of golden point but also think there is nothing wrong with a draw when neither team deserves to lose. I would have made it next try wins though rather than any point.

I'd like to see a win ( in regulation time) worth 3 points, a golden point win worth 2 points and a golden point loss worth 1 point. That way three points are awarded for every game. Just an idea.

It’s not golden point! It’s extra time 5 mins each way to win the game. One team gains 2 points by winning in 10 mins the losing team gets 1. If both fail in extra time they get 1 point each. 

I think that would work very well in SL,

• Like 1