Expanding the game in England

I’m a big fan of what Thunder have done and enjoy my trips there to watch Skolars. It’s clear that the foundations are in place and the fans. They just need to get promoted! I think the amateur gave is in a good way up there too. 

We now need to think about how we expand in the rest of the country!? Because frankly at best we’re treading water. 

33 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m a big fan of what Thunder have done and enjoy my trips there to watch Skolars. It’s clear that the foundations are in place and the fans. They just need to get promoted! I think the amateur gave is in a good way up there too. 

We now need to think about how we expand in the rest of the country!? Because frankly at best we’re treading water. 

We need to do, what Newcastle are doing.

A fully integrated approach to embedding the game in the local community from bottom to top.

Mick Hogan began the process 30 odd years ago and to their credit, they've kept the grass roots development effort going ever since.

Not in an ad-hoc (do nothing and hope they turn up) way but systematically introducing new young children to the sport (in increasing numbers) every year.

They monitor participation and set goals for increasing numbers of participants year on year. Open and honest and real.

That's why they are worth backing with high profile events like Magic and World Cup matches.

Most of the spectators (from the Newcastle area) will be people introduced to the game at school and the more of them there are the more likely it is we'll get a good turnout at these major events.

That's when the investment effort (in schools and junior club development) begins to pay back hard cash.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

We need to do, what Newcastle are doing.

A fully integrated approach to embedding the game in the local community from bottom to top.

Mick Hogan began the process 30 odd years ago and to their credit, they've kept the grass roots development effort going ever since.

Not in an ad-hoc (do nothing and hope they turn up) way but systematically introducing new young children to the sport (in increasing numbers) every year.

They monitor participation and set goals for increasing numbers of participants year on year. Open and honest and real.

That's why they are worth backing with high profile events like Magic and World Cup matches.

Most of the spectators (from the Newcastle area) will be people introduced to the game at school and the more of them there are the more likely it is we'll get a good turnout at these major events.

That's when the investment effort (in schools and junior club development) begins to pay back hard cash.

top down expansion can work too if they have a serious money backer behind it.

53 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

top down expansion can work too if they have a serious money backer behind it.

The ''fully integrated approach'' I spoke of includes the top-down activities as well as the bottom up. Doing it right means doing it all.

Archived