Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

The Self-isolation Chronicles: Huddersfield Giants

Recommended Posts

Self-isolation and social distancing is in full swing and boredom are beginning to emerge. At Total Rugby League, we hopefully have an antidote to prevent...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huddersfield broke their own world record score in 1994, beating Blackpool 142-4 and beating the previous record of 119-2 set against Swinton Park in 1919.

Unbelievably, the world record margin of 138 was equalled the very next day when Barrow beat Nottingham by 138-0.

The record stood for almost a quarter of a century before York took it by beating West Wales 144-0

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

What about Huddersfield being the only ever winners of the Rugby League "Bottom 14" Championship ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_14_Championship

... and let's not mention when Huddersfield's Graham Swales pinched Geoff Fletcher;s wig !

Graham Swale last seen driving a taxi for a living. 😑

He is said to have calmed down a bit. 😶

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah Swalezy can remember him running down Dunford road one training night in his boots and kit dressing room had been done over while  training was on  by local tea leaves chasing them !!!! Salt of the earth Graham😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beating a team 144-0 is quite ridiculous and suggests the other team just didn’t even bother at all, LITERALLY!!

Lets say it was 72 points in each half and let’s say every try was converted that’s 12 converted tries per 40 minutes. That’s a try, conversion and restart approx every 3min 20s. It is virtually impossible to achieve that if the opposition is trying to defend even as a token gesture. 
 

IMO that score line is absurd and the match is a failure of the RFL to vet and place teams within the League structures. Someone should have been grilled over why this was allowed to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Beating a team 144-0 is quite ridiculous and suggests the other team just didn’t even bother at all, LITERALLY!!

Lets say it was 72 points in each half and let’s say every try was converted that’s 12 converted tries per 40 minutes. That’s a try, conversion and restart approx every 3min 20s. It is virtually impossible to achieve that if the opposition is trying to defend even as a token gesture. 
 

IMO that score line is absurd and the match is a failure of the RFL to vet and place teams within the League structures. Someone should have been grilled over why this was allowed to happen. 

West Wales, were, and still are to a point are a development/ expansion club.

Back in the 90s, Blackpool and Nottingham were also seen by some as development/ expansion clubs, even though both clubs had been around in various guises.

Imagine if people had scrambled to have the likes of Blackpool, Nottingham and West Wales replacing Huddersfield, Barrow and York 😌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Beating a team 144-0 is quite ridiculous and suggests the other team just didn’t even bother at all, LITERALLY!!

Lets say it was 72 points in each half and let’s say every try was converted that’s 12 converted tries per 40 minutes. That’s a try, conversion and restart approx every 3min 20s. It is virtually impossible to achieve that if the opposition is trying to defend even as a token gesture. 
 

IMO that score line is absurd and the match is a failure of the RFL to vet and place teams within the League structures. Someone should have been grilled over why this was allowed to happen. 

The two biggest winning margins in Australian Rugby League history were in 1935 when St.George beat Canterbury 91-6 while just seven days later Canterbury were again on the receiving end of an 87-7 defeat against Eastern Suburbs. In their 16 matches that season Canterbury conceded 140 tries at an average of 8.75 per match.

So, suppose people then said Canterbury were not fit to be in the league and it had been a failure of the Australian RL not to have vetted the team before allowing them to enter ?

Yet just three years later in 1938 Canterbury won the Australian Premiership having lost just one game throughout the entire season and defeating Eastern Suburbs 19-6 in the final.

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2020 at 21:31, meast said:

Huddersfield broke their own world record score in 1994, beating Blackpool 142-4 and beating the previous record of 119-2 set against Swinton Park in 1919.

Unbelievably, the world record margin of 138 was equalled the very next day when Barrow beat Nottingham by 138-0.

The record stood for almost a quarter of a century before York took it by beating West Wales 144-0

IIRC Greg Pearce, Fartown's goal kicker, was dropped for the game vs Blackpool, as the club feared having to pay him a big wedge as his deal included pay for points scored......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The two biggest winning margins in Australian Rugby League history were in 1935 when St.George beat Canterbury 91-6 while just seven days later Canterbury were again on the receiving end of an 87-7 defeat against Eastern Suburbs. In their 16 matches that season Canterbury conceded 140 tries at an average of 8.75 per match.

So, suppose people then said Canterbury were not fit to be in the league and it had been a failure of the Australian RL not to have vetted the team before allowing them to enter ?

Yet just three years later in 1938 Canterbury won the Australian Premiership having lost just one game throughout the entire season and defeating Eastern Suburbs 19-6 in the final.

 

My point is that at the time of these beatings, the clubs on the receiving end might have been better served in a less elite level league. Who knows maybe their development would have been helped by being more competitive at a lower level.

Im not suggesting for a second that these clubs should not have the backing of the governing body just better judgement in terms of which competition they play in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The two biggest winning margins in Australian Rugby League history were in 1935 when St.George beat Canterbury 91-6 while just seven days later Canterbury were again on the receiving end of an 87-7 defeat against Eastern Suburbs. In their 16 matches that season Canterbury conceded 140 tries at an average of 8.75 per match.

So, suppose people then said Canterbury were not fit to be in the league and it had been a failure of the Australian RL not to have vetted the team before allowing them to enter ?

Yet just three years later in 1938 Canterbury won the Australian Premiership having lost just one game throughout the entire season and defeating Eastern Suburbs 19-6 in the final.

 

Back in 1935 Australia probably needed new clubs to form the basis of what we now have. We’re not in 1935 anymore and there is no need to throw a fledgling club and players to the wolves. Their development is better served by coming through a structured pyramid system, learning lessons on and off the field as they go.

Who would have blamed W Wales if their players and owners had said sod this and walked away. That would have been sad and wholly avoidable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

My point is that at the time of these beatings, the clubs on the receiving end might have been better served in a less elite level league. Who knows maybe their development would have been helped by being more competitive at a lower level.

Im not suggesting for a second that these clubs should not have the backing of the governing body just better judgement in terms of which competition they play in.

I do understand your point and my quote about Canterbury was not me trying to say you were wrong. I was just showing an instance where a team appearing to be cannon-fodder eventually proved otherwise.

The same (although not as dramatic as Canterbury's turnaround) could be said of Doncaster.  From 1956–1961, Doncaster finished every season as the bottom side in the league and remained consistently in the bottom three between 1963 and 1968. The 1970s, and early 1980s proved to be no easier, with Doncaster only avoiding a bottom three finish on two occasions between 1970 and 1985.

In a way Doncaster's consistent poor form over that period could be seen as even worse than the one of West Wales who had previously finished as high as sixth in what is now known as League 1 and had therefore qualified for the promotion play-offs.

Unfortunately some team has always got to be bottom but if such teams are disbanded then another team will be bottom and so on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

My point is that at the time of these beatings, the clubs on the receiving end might have been better served in a less elite level league. Who knows maybe their development would have been helped by being more competitive at a lower level.

Im not suggesting for a second that these clubs should not have the backing of the governing body just better judgement in terms of which competition they play in.

Meast's post referred to cup games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...