Who's peter lewis?

If he was a union player you would have thought he would be named as A N Other.  The fact he is named and given a heritage number may indicate it's not the pontypool player. However the fact that he played in the first team twice and scored a try shows he must have had something about him. But then he disappears.  I don't know of a Peter Lewis playing for another RL team. Apart from a new Zealander, who was  way too young at that time. 

My recollection, hazy though it may be, is that he played a blinder against us when we beat Bramley heavily away before Christmas and that we paid reasonably good money for him in the New Year. £30000 springs to mind. The impression was that he was not the most dedicated of athletes and had what might be termed lifestyle issues. Bramley were able to drag him out of wherever he was and get him to training sometimes and games, but that didn't work when getting from Leeds to Oldham. Expensive gamble that didn't come off.

Also from same paper The interesting thing is our league position at the time. Also look at the number of teams in the division. How many like Bramley, Runcorn, Carlisle, Nottingham, trafford and Chorley are no longer in existence? Also look at where Huddersfield and Fulham are. Now 2 long term super league teams!!!!

Screenshot_20200529-114242_Gallery.jpg

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2020 at 11:43, Jim Knox said:

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim

Hey Jim, any other interesting nuggets from your time with the club? Obviously nothing too contentious. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Jim Knox said:

We had some wonderful times between 87 & 90 , beating everyone along the way. The squad was being strengthened each season with experience & exciting young talented players for the future. Tony Barrow’s vision which I agreed with, was to mould a top team within 2-3years around Tommy Martyn , Chris Joynt , Barrie McDermott, Tim Street , Fordy, Roundy, Fieldhouse , Richard Russell, Platty etc. Also we were totally committed to keeping the top youngsters coming through in Oldham, stopping the exodus to Wigan, Warrington etc. Imagine then seeing Paul Sculthorpe, Iestyn Harris, Kevin Sinfield in a Oldham jersey. Plus many others we would pursue from Lancashire, Yorkshire Humberside & Cumbria. I firmly believe we were on the right path to establishing Oldham as a real force again. Unfortunately, Tony was sacked in January 91. Myself & Gregg Pache had resigned in December 90 due to certain disagreements. So our plans never materialised. 

It still hurts like hell to this day the demise of our great club. 
They had a real chance to spend the super league money wisely. Partly on the team& partly on refurbing Watersheddings over a few years. 
Then maybe thousands of loyal fans who love Oldham rugby league with all their heart could still be enjoying the unique atmosphere of Watersheddings.

Jim.

They were heady times indeed Jim.  I remember the meeting with fans to push the selling of shares. The speech given by Tony Barrow was inspirational, almost churchillian. Caused me to put my hand in my pocket and buy 500 pounds worth. Do I regret it? No. 

Things happen , decisions are made and they don't always work out.

But yes, the thought of Iestin Harris, Paul Sculthorpe and Kevin Sinfield playing for their hometown at sheddings is mouth watering.

If only john holdsworth had given that Paul Lord try against Warrington. 

But we live in hope.

18 hours ago, Jim Knox said:

It still hurts like hell to this day the demise of our great club. 

They do say that "Time heals all" but, no matter how many years pass, the heartache never gets any less. 

What happened to our great club was unforgivable and, like you Jim, I shall NEVER forget.

Archived