Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Art of Hand and Foot

Who's peter lewis?

Recommended Posts

I noticed on the heritage site that peter Lewis played for us in 89-90. According to my copy of Turner he played twice and scored a try. Can't say I remember him. The only peter lewis knocking about at that time was a Welsh RU player. Does anyone know if it was him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I noticed on the heritage site that peter Lewis played for us in 89-90. According to my copy of Turner he played twice and scored a try. Can't say I remember him. The only peter lewis knocking about at that time was a Welsh RU player. Does anyone know if it was him?

Not that I have a definite answer but it does appear at that time Oldham were switching their team around a bit due to several matches within a few days.

The two matches Peter Lewis played in were on Sunday 4 March (Huddersfield at home) and Sunday 11 March (Batley at home) while in between those they had a Wednesday night game away at Keighley in which he didn't play. Lewis had replaced Richard Irving in the two Sunday games yet Irving played in the midweek game at Keighley.

Furthermore, Oldham's usual full-back Duncan Platt played centre in the away game at Keighley instead of John Henderson while regular hooker Richard Russell went to full-back.  Usual centre Des Foy missed the Huddersfield and Keighley games, being replaced by Gary Hyde, who then went to full-back for the Batley match with Duncan Platt taking a rest.

A fortnight later (24 March) Steve Robinson, who started only one other match for Oldham that season (back in October) played on the wing instead of Paul Lord and didn't begin another competitive match for the club until 27 January the following season.

I know that Steve Robinson came from Saddleworth Rangers but, like yourself, I can't remember who Peter Lewis was. As there is no photo of him on the heritage site it could well be that he was just a trialist and - although again only a thought but without any proof - might be that RU player from Wales, especially as he didn't play in the midweek night match at Keighley.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was a union player you would have thought he would be named as A N Other.  The fact he is named and given a heritage number may indicate it's not the pontypool player. However the fact that he played in the first team twice and scored a try shows he must have had something about him. But then he disappears.  I don't know of a Peter Lewis playing for another RL team. Apart from a new Zealander, who was  way too young at that time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

If he was a union player you would have thought he would be named as A N Other.  The fact he is named and given a heritage number may indicate it's not the pontypool player. However the fact that he played in the first team twice and scored a try shows he must have had something about him. But then he disappears.  I don't know of a Peter Lewis playing for another RL team. Apart from a new Zealander, who was  way too young at that time. 

Yes, it could also be that he was a trialist from amateur RL side somewhere and scoring a try isn't always just the best indicator of a player's overall ability.  Steve Robinson was a decent winger with Saddleworth and actually appeared 55 times for Oldham, scoring 15 tries, so if he was struggling to get into the Oldham team at that time when the regulars were Richard Irving and Paul Lord, it would have to take someone really special to take their place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I noticed on the heritage site that peter Lewis played for us in 89-90. According to my copy of Turner he played twice and scored a try. Can't say I remember him. The only peter lewis knocking about at that time was a Welsh RU player. Does anyone know if it was him?

Just found this ....

https://bramleybuffs.com/bramley-hat-trick-heroes/

About 3/4 down the piece it states .....

"The first seven matches of the 1988-89 season resulted in two hat-tricks being scored for the black and ambers, first loose-forward Lister bagged three as fancied Doncaster were battered out of the Yorkshire Cup at McClaren Field 39-12 while former BARLA international winger Peter Lewis scored three long-range tries in the 22-38 home defeat to Featherstone."

And in another article about Bramley player Peter Lister, it says about him for the 1988-89 season .... https://westleedsdispatch.com/bramley-rlfc-legends-peter-lister/

"He finished with 28 tries in the season just in front of Peter Lewis who crossed for 25."

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recollection, hazy though it may be, is that he played a blinder against us when we beat Bramley heavily away before Christmas and that we paid reasonably good money for him in the New Year. £30000 springs to mind. The impression was that he was not the most dedicated of athletes and had what might be termed lifestyle issues. Bramley were able to drag him out of wherever he was and get him to training sometimes and games, but that didn't work when getting from Leeds to Oldham. Expensive gamble that didn't come off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I previously mentioned that I had every home and away programme, Along with a full copy of the chron for every game in 89-90. Found peter lewis in the chron. He was injured.

received_1175080129521343.jpeg

So that was his debut and he then missed the midweek game at Keighlkey before coming back the following Sunday for the home game against Batley.  As it says in the other news item you posted, he was signed on-loan from Bramley, so it appears he then must have just gone back there afterwards.

It's excellent when we can research and find bits of new like this ... brings back lots of memories of times gone by to chat about. I also remember that queue outside 'Sheddings. There had been just over 3,000 at the previous home game yet after beating Widnes there were well over 5,000 for the Huddersfield game as people were wanting to get a voucher to show they had come to the match and would have helped them get priority for tickets if we got to Wemb .... oh well ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also from same paper The interesting thing is our league position at the time. Also look at the number of teams in the division. How many like Bramley, Runcorn, Carlisle, Nottingham, trafford and Chorley are no longer in existence? Also look at where Huddersfield and Fulham are. Now 2 long term super league teams!!!!

Screenshot_20200529-114242_Gallery.jpg

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

The interesting thing is our league position at the time. Also look at the number of teams in the division. How many like Bramley, Runcorn, Carlisle, Nottingham, trafford and Chorley are no longer in existence? Also look at where Huddersfield and Fulham are. Now 2 long term super league teams!!!!

Yes, I have been saying in another thread on the general forum how Oldham (and others) have been ignored by the RFL in favour of teams with names more known to non-RL enthusiasts. As you may know Oldham should have played at Paris in the first-ever Super League game until Gary Hetherington and Maurice Lindsay decided that more people would know of Sheffield. At the end of 1998 when Paris folded, the RFL then suddenly decided to change the rule and let two teams be promoted instead of one and just so Huddersfield (as the birthplace of RL) could get in the top division, thus relegating Oldham. And they had previously promoted London into Super League for it's first season although they had only finished fourth in the lower division and below Keighlkey, Batley and Huddersfield.

It's 40 years since Fulham/London were formed and so far this season they have an average attendance which is 300+ less than we have had at Oldham, so where's the progress been made down there in all that time ?  Similarly with many other teams from non-trational areas - Nottingham, Cardiff, Carlisle, Scarborough, Mansfield, Bridgend, Kent Ivicta and even Paris - who have all come and gone. Yet when Fulham began in 1980 there were already 30 teams in the RL of which 27 still exist with the only ones now missing being Blackpool, Bramley and Huyton.

Therefore, surely if 27 teams in the traditional RL districts have existed in the same time that many from out of those areas have not then it shows where the support for the game really is. Yet the RFL are more bothered about always trying to attract new followers instead of looking after those they already have.

I have no doubt that the RFL were hoping Newcastle would beat Oldham in last season's play-off final.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim
 

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 11:43, Jim Knox said:

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim

Great times then Jim ... fancy your job back ??? ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 11:43, Jim Knox said:

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim
 

 

 

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Great times then Jim ... fancy your job back ??? ?

It's tales like this that really make it more interesting than just stats. Love it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 11:43, Jim Knox said:

Peter Lewis was brought to Oldham on a loan deal from Bramley .Neil Clawson went to Bramley in exchange. 
After his 2nd appearance away at Batley, we decided to sign him permanently. 
Unfortunatley, he failed a medical examination, so we had to send him back to Bramley. He subsequently signed for Sheffield Eagles but as far as I am aware he didn’t make many appearances for them. 
Tony Barrow & myself were really disappointed Peter couldn’t join Oldham as we felt he would have soon become a firm favourite with the Oldham fans. He had extreme pace & was a big lad who was a proven finisher. 

Jim
 

 

Hey Jim, any other interesting nuggets from your time with the club? Obviously nothing too contentious. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 18:54, RL does what Sky says said:

No !!!!!!!!!   Give us the dirt ! ?

We had some wonderful times between 87 & 90 , beating everyone along the way. The squad was being strengthened each season with experience & exciting young talented players for the future. Tony Barrow’s vision which I agreed with, was to mould a top team within 2-3years around Tommy Martyn , Chris Joynt , Barrie McDermott, Tim Street , Fordy, Roundy, Fieldhouse , Richard Russell, Platty etc. Also we were totally committed to keeping the top youngsters coming through in Oldham, stopping the exodus to Wigan, Warrington etc. Imagine then seeing Paul Sculthorpe, Iestyn Harris, Kevin Sinfield in a Oldham jersey. Plus many others we would pursue from Lancashire, Yorkshire Humberside & Cumbria. I firmly believe we were on the right path to establishing Oldham as a real force again. Unfortunately, Tony was sacked in January 91. Myself & Gregg Pache had resigned in December 90 due to certain disagreements. So our plans never materialised. 

It still hurts like hell to this day the demise of our great club. 
They had a real chance to spend the super league money wisely. Partly on the team& partly on refurbing Watersheddings over a few years. 
Then maybe thousands of loyal fans who love Oldham rugby league with all their heart could still be enjoying the unique atmosphere of Watersheddings.

 Jim.

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jim Knox said:

We had some wonderful times between 87 & 90 , beating everyone along the way. The squad was being strengthened each season with experience & exciting young talented players for the future. Tony Barrow’s vision which I agreed with, was to mould a top team within 2-3years around Tommy Martyn , Chris Joynt , Barrie McDermott, Tim Street , Fordy, Roundy, Fieldhouse , Richard Russell, Platty etc. Also we were totally committed to keeping the top youngsters coming through in Oldham, stopping the exodus to Wigan, Warrington etc. Imagine then seeing Paul Sculthorpe, Iestyn Harris, Kevin Sinfield in a Oldham jersey. Plus many others we would pursue from Lancashire, Yorkshire Humberside & Cumbria. I firmly believe we were on the right path to establishing Oldham as a real force again. Unfortunately, Tony was sacked in January 91. Myself & Gregg Pache had resigned in December 90 due to certain disagreements. So our plans never materialised. 

It still hurts like hell to this day the demise of our great club. 
They had a real chance to spend the super league money wisely. Partly on the team& partly on refurbing Watersheddings over a few years. 
Then maybe thousands of loyal fans who love Oldham rugby league with all their heart could still be enjoying the unique atmosphere of Watersheddings.

 Jim.

 

 

 

 

They were heady times indeed Jim.  I remember the meeting with fans to push the selling of shares. The speech given by Tony Barrow was inspirational, almost churchillian. Caused me to put my hand in my pocket and buy 500 pounds worth. Do I regret it? No. 

Things happen , decisions are made and they don't always work out.

But yes, the thought of Iestin Harris, Paul Sculthorpe and Kevin Sinfield playing for their hometown at sheddings is mouth watering.

If only john holdsworth had given that Paul Lord try against Warrington. 

But we live in hope.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jim Knox said:

It still hurts like hell to this day the demise of our great club. 

They do say that "Time heals all" but, no matter how many years pass, the heartache never gets any less. 

What happened to our great club was unforgivable and, like you Jim, I shall NEVER forget.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...