Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

Championship clubs still in deadlock

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good point but Steve's suggestion is also very relevant, all the 'easing' of lockdown measures is just a calculated risk to kickstart the economy,  if the country was rich enough it would still have us in an isolation situation but it ain't, Steve it seems to me is trading of a cost of testing against the much more expensive route of furlough money, which as you say should apply to the vulnerable.

Besides all that Harry, I was trying to put the argument across from the point of view of a tax paying RL fan, and also a RL journalist who isn't paying tax at the moment. It seems that some clubs just want to carry on taking the furlough money out of the taxpayer's pocket right up until the end of October while not giving anything back in return, either in terms of providing much needed entertainment or getting the economy moving again?

2 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Besides all that Harry, I was trying to put the argument across from the point of view of a tax paying RL fan, and also a RL journalist who isn't paying tax at the moment. It seems that some clubs just want to carry on taking the furlough money out of the taxpayer's pocket right up until the end of October while not giving anything back in return, either in terms of providing much needed entertainment or getting the economy moving again?

You’ll get comments back. Such as we can’t play without crowds.! The clubs that want to play are selfish, ignorant bastions.

Be prepared...

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You’ll get comments back. Such as we can’t play without crowds.! The clubs that want to play are selfish, ignorant bastions.

Be prepared...

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Be prepared...

Hopefully reduced capacity crowds will be allowed back soon? Some folk who are vulnerable may stay away, but maybe that could be partially supplemented by pay-per-view live streaming? Maybe live streaming could also be used to provide a service for away fans who can't travel and an alternative for those who can, hence reducing footfall on public transport and other forms of travel? I know we would need permission from Sky, who hold the rights, but surely at extraordinary times like this?????

25 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Hopefully reduced capacity crowds will be allowed back soon? Some folk who are vulnerable may stay away, but maybe that could be partially supplemented by pay-per-view live streaming? Maybe live streaming could also be used to provide a service for away fans who can't travel and an alternative for those who can, hence reducing footfall on public transport and other forms of travel? I know we would need permission from Sky, who hold the rights, but surely at extraordinary times like this?????

Well the RFL have live streaming in the form of “OurLeague” which seems to get around Sky’s control.
Not sure Sky would agree if profits where being made without a cut.

Although if you don’t try, you’ll never know.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Well the RFL have live streaming in the form of “OurLeague” which seems to get around Sky’s control.
Not sure Sky would agree if profits where being made without a cut.

Although if you don’t try, you’ll never know.

With the Sky contract about to end it would be great to trial pay-per-view by live streaming, in case the Championship don't get anything out of the next contract? With advancing technology it would be unwise to sign all rights away to Sky anyhow, especially if away fans and those living abroad or on holiday could watch live games on pay-per-view? Mark Las Palmas would be in his element!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Unusually for you Steve to take a leap from the testing element to accusing "some clubs" of something for which you have no evidence, or do you?

If the government won't allow spactators back then the technical issues are all moot.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Unusually for you Steve to take a leap from the testing element to accusing "some clubs" of something for which you have no evidence, or do you?

If the government won't allow spactators back then the technical issues are all moot.

The sentence ended with a question mark, Johnny.

5 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

That stikes me as an unfair representation of what the furlough scheme is supposed to be and how clubs are using it. 

The furlough scheme was created to protect jobs that weren't viable during an enforced period of commercial inactivity. For all intents and purposes, lower-league RL is still commercially inactive and unviable. The business model relies on physical crowds and government regulations don't allow that. This is the very definition of what the furlough scheme is there for and to suggest that clubs are simply "taking money and offering nothing in return" is grossly unfair (and I say that as someone who has no dog in this particular hunt). It isn't viable for the clubs to offer anything in return because it isn't viable to reassume those costs. 

Should the business plan change? Absolutely, but that was the case well before COVID and the simple fact is that the sport in general, not just at the lower end of the pyramid, has failed to diversify its revenue streams for over 125 years, so let's not pretend that the game can do it in three months.  

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Be prepared...

Why can't both be true? Clubs on both sides of debate are acting out of self-interest.

My personal view (and it is just that) is that ensuring that clubs are only taking on costs and salaries when they are viable (the very thing the furlough scheme was designed to do) is a greater interest than letting a decking salesman play with his toys. The sport has greater obligations than simply appeasing the problem child at the back of the class. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

So is your opinion that some clubs are doing that?

32 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

What was the question then, Steve?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

My personal view (and it is just that) is that ensuring that clubs are only taking on costs and salaries when they are viable (the very thing the furlough scheme was designed to do) is a greater interest than letting a decking salesman play with his toys. The sport has greater obligations than simply appeasing the problem child at the back of the class. 

I can’t decide if being clueless allows you to be stupid or vice versa

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I can’t decide if being clueless allows you to be stupid or vice versa

Come on then genius, what's the solution? A solution that doesn't throw clubs under the financial bus to appease the whims of others? 

And let me remind you, stamping your feet and calling other clubs "pub teams" for not having a 'fan-done-good' as owner hasn't been that successful for you thus far..... 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Results in the assassination of one guy from 14 owners, all of whom will look at their own particular circumstances and put forward what is best in the interests of their own clubs.

That child at the back of the class has not (as far as I have been informed) suggested any club should be submitted to anything that will compromise their financial viability in the long run, what is suggested is that THOSE CLUBS who wish to re-enter a competition to compefe for promotion should be allowed to do so, whilst those who prefer to sit it out can also take that course of action, if at such a stage paying spectator's are allowed back into the stadia, then those clubs who declined to play on could arrange fixtures between themselves as friendlies or for some 'emergency' trophy, win win all round for everyone.

14 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Come on then genius, what's the solution? A solution that doesn't throw clubs under the financial bus to appease the whims of others? 

And let me remind you, stamping your feet and calling other clubs "pub teams" for not having a 'fan-done-good' as owner hasn't been that successful for you thus far..... 

You really do have a bee in your bonnet Micheal.

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

You wouldn’t realise it, probably does the raffle for a pub team

He's a fan of that pub team that just spent £40 million redeveloping their own stadium, have won back to back challenge cups, world club challenges and 8 Super League titles...

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

He's a fan of that pub team that just spent £40 million redeveloping their own stadium, have won back to back challenge cups, world club challenges and 8 Super League titles...

Should be a decent raffle then

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You really do have a bee in your bonnet Micheal.

Maybe he does'nt like being called clueless and stupid.Or do you find those replies acceptable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What was the question then, Steve?

Sorry for the late reply Johnny, been out for the afternoon.

When I wrote "It seems" it was meant to be more of a speculative inference or question rather than a downright accusation. 

• Thanks 1