• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the 1980's Australia racial ignorance was very high and the population was 98% white of UK/European origin. Olsen is a legend of the game from an era when i fist got into the game he played his best games for the Kiwis against Australia in 1980's. 

4 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Back in the 1980's Australia racial ignorance was very high and the population was 98% white of UK/European origin. Olsen is a legend of the game from an era when i fist got into the game he played his best games for the Kiwis against Australia in 1980's. 

The book highlights some of the social issues happening at the time, not just in Australia but also New Zealand as well as Olsen’s career. Well worth a read.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

The book highlights some of the social issues happening at the time, not just in Australia but also New Zealand as well as Olsen’s career. Well worth a read.

I'll definitely get around to giving it a read at some stage. Was the NZ Social issue mentioned an early 80's policy called "Dawn Raids" where Pacific Island Immigrants who had overstayed there work VISA and were illegally in the NZ were subject to early morning immigration official raids? The Raids profiled Samoans and Tongans, other groups of illegal VISA over stayers were not targeted in the same way.

4 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I'll definitely get around to giving it a read at some stage. Was the NZ Social issue mentioned an early 80's policy called "Dawn Raids" where Pacific Island Immigrants who had overstayed there work VISA and were illegally in the NZ were subject to early morning immigration official raids? The Raids profiled Samoans and Tongans, other groups of illegal VISA over stayers were not targeted in the same way.

Yes, they mention the fact that whites overstaying their welcome weren’t bothered with.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes, they mention the fact that whites overstaying their welcome weren’t bothered with.

Well in those less enlightened times in NZ most of those white people who overstayed were from the UK were called "Poms"... as you know is a derivative from the french word for potato, Pacific Islanders got called after pacific island plant based food "Coconuts"  Both White & Maori NZ'ers have been known to call pacific Islanders that.

2 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Well in those less enlightened times in NZ most of those white people who overstayed were from the UK were called "Poms"... as you know is a derivative from the french word for potato, Pacific Islanders got called after pacific island plant based food "Coconuts"  Both White & Maori NZ'ers have been known to call pacific Islanders that.

I thought Pom came from the clothing worn by the early prisoners which had POME on them. Prisoner of Mother England. Coconuts is a term used here for people of Asian origin who are perceived to act more white than Asian. Brown on the outside but white on the inside. But, I digress.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I thought Pom came from the clothing worn by the early prisoners which had POME on them. Prisoner of Mother England. Coconuts is a term used here for people of Asian origin who are perceived to act more white than Asian. Brown on the outside but white on the inside. But, I digress.

I heard Pom came from French La pomme de terre but have heard Prisoner of Mother England. This is a bit off topic but as its your user name my question is do you find it derogatory if someone from Australia, NZ or Pacific called you a pom or pommy?  

The name Olsen Filipaina, along with the likes of Clayton Friend, Mark Graham etc reminds me of Back in the day when i was a kid and 1st heard of rugby league. Labour party seemed like the good guys to me at the time, 1st of all the chance of National party politician being at a Rugby League game were basically zero, Labour had just beaten National in 1984 election and ended Dawn Raids that profiled Samoans & Tongans, were against French Pacific Nuclear testing & US nuclear ships entering NZ. Little did I know that Labour government would be economically right wing pro Reaganomics and neoliberal. Which later allowed conservative National party to be more extremely right wing economically... leading to unions no longer existing in most industries, overtime pay rates for weekends and nights disappearing, state assets being sold off to private enterprise leading to higher living costs for the public, foundation of most working class rugby league areas in the country being destroyed by sale of State Housing. I was hoping the current NZ Labour government could restore some balance but Covid looks to have stuffed any chance of that. Politics is a dirty game at least theirs positive memories of sporting nostalgia. At 10.44 in Link is MP for Mangere & NZ PM David Lange shaking hands with Olsen Filipaina who lived in and played for Mangere East before moving to Australia.

I’d feel insulted if they didn’t call me a Pom. I’ve seen pictures of Jacinda Ardern at a Te Atatu v Mt Albert game. Is that just for show or anything in it?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/labour-party-leader-jacinda-ardern-attends-rugby-league-match?mediatype=photography&phrase=labour party leader jacinda ardern attends rugby league match&sort=best#

rldfsignature.jpg

23 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I’d feel insulted if they didn’t call me a Pom. I’ve seen pictures of Jacinda Ardern at a Te Atatu v Mt Albert game. Is that just for show or anything in it?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/labour-party-leader-jacinda-ardern-attends-rugby-league-match?mediatype=photography&phrase=labour party leader jacinda ardern attends rugby league match&sort=best#

Mt Albert is her electorate, rugby league people traditionally vote labour.

Regarding calling people a Pom question,  few years back I was working with some English guys in Melbourne they asked me is it offensive to call New Zealanders a Kiwi? I was like no not generally why? they were like we dont like the Ozzie supervisor calling us Poms... the fact the Supervisor was Rick with a silent P! and tone and attitude he used Pom in wasnt pleasant so it got me thinking is it derogatory? Guess its allgood with you so no worries 🙂 

57 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Mt Albert is her electorate, rugby league people traditionally vote labour.

Regarding calling people a Pom question,  few years back I was working with some English guys in Melbourne they asked me is it offensive to call New Zealanders a Kiwi? I was like no not generally why? they were like we dont like the Ozzie supervisor calling us Poms... the fact the Supervisor was Rick with a silent P! and tone and attitude he used Pom in wasnt pleasant so it got me thinking is it derogatory? Guess its allgood with you so no worries 🙂 

I suppose you could call anybody anything in the wrong tone of voice and it could come across as derogatory. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if it’s delivered in the right manner. The reason I use this username is because I used it on an Australian forum first and carried it over to here. There’s another English lad who also posts on the Australian forum who calls himself Pommy so it can’t be that much of an insult. I could think of being called far worse things.

rldfsignature.jpg

16 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

16 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Richmond and Ponsonby had some connections to the Polynesian Panthers who campaigned against the dawn raids.

On 25/07/2020 at 01:54, kiwis 13 6 said:

The name Olsen Filipaina, along with the likes of Clayton Friend, Mark Graham

How good was Mark Graham. I reckon he was the SBW of his day. Recently voted in the top two backrowers of all time.

Let`s not forget Henry Tatana, great Kiwi prop who played in the N.S.W.R.F.L. in the 70`s. Top point scorer for St. George in 1976.

On the Pom question. I suspect Aussies traditionally wanted their Poms to tick certain boxes. The archetype would be someone like Douglas Jardine. Any insults would be insouciantly brushed off. The RL Poms on the GB tours when we were a force to be reckoned with were cut from very different cloth. Hard to say whether in this arena it would be mutually seen as a pejorative. Benny Elias once said Poms in an interview, then quickly corrected himself.

On the Coconut question. There is a YouTube channel called CoconutTV, so it can`t be regarded as inherently toxic. Rather not hear it in any RL context though.

It will be good if Patrick Skene`s book sells well. He has said he was persuaded to write it after a Guardian website article about Olsen got 250k reads.

A cursory glance of a bookshop or library`s sport sections has always revealed RL books to be heavily outnumbered by those covering RU. This isn`t just the relative sizes of the two games. Social, cultural, political factors are at play too. Ironic, since it`s these that provide far more piquant material in RL for any objective journalist or author.

On 27/07/2020 at 20:19, unapologetic pedant said:

On the Pom question. I suspect Aussies traditionally wanted their Poms to tick certain boxes. The archetype would be someone like Douglas Jardine

With all due respect U.P. just as we probably like to fantasize that those that reside beyond our shores imagine all Australians to be tall, athletic ,bronzed ,rugged types the reality may be somewhat different.

Just as we in Australia imagine most Englishmen to be either pompous, aristocratic buffoonish types or the sort of loud belligerent types that we see in the `Barmy Army `who likely voted for Brexit.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

With all due respect U.P. just as we probably like to fantasize that those that reside beyond our shores imagine all Australians to be tall, athletic ,bronzed ,rugged types the reality may be somewhat different.

Just as we in Australia imagine most Englishmen to be either pompous, aristocratic buffoonish types or the sort of loud belligerent types that we see in the `Barmy Army `who likely voted for Brexit.

Please keep the politics out Rocket. There’s a dedicated thread for that or you can always use the General forum as many others do. 

rldfsignature.jpg

25 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I have no problem with people calling me a Pom.   Beats being called Scottish, Welsh or Lancastrian which I sometimes get.

I was in a bar in Brisbane, City Rowers, and this Aussie thought I was Irish! 

rldfsignature.jpg

16 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Please keep the politics out Rocket. There’s a dedicated thread for that or you can always use the General forum as many others do. 

Sure mate, I wasn`t meaning to be.🙂

43 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

If the UK government declares war on Australia, they should do it on the general forum.

The dedicated politics thread has been hijacked by general forum activists.

40 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

36 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Any reference to Brexit, especially from someone who doesn’t live in the U.K. is blatantly political.

That was quite bizarre. I backed off straight away, as you can see by the above post and thought I was very conciliatory and then he came after me.

When I analysed my initial post and my actual thoughts on the topic I realized that, you know, he was probably right. I let it go.

15 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That was quite bizarre. I backed off straight away, as you can see by the above post and thought I was very conciliatory and then he came after me.

When I analysed my initial post and my actual thoughts on the topic I realized that, you know, he was probably right. I let it go.

There’s a reason I no longer post in the General Forum. It’s the world politics that get dragged Into too many threads when it’s just not necessary. 

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived