Jump to content

Gale and Nu


plug
 Share

Recommended Posts


Perhaps we will be at a higher level and they will stay. In the old days we used to sell good players for the money to survive. It is unfortunately the way things go. But SL here we come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the biggest mood-dampener about our unbeaten run. Harrison has reportedly already signed for Warrington for next season, another rumour suggests Leeds are talking to Gale, and Halton is supposedly attracting attention too.

If we make it to SL, how many of our current squad are going to be realistic options? We could easily lose our four most obvious up-and-coming stars, we just can't guarantee them SL rugby next season at this stage.

Then we have a chunk of players well into the veteran stage who last played in SL more than two years ago and are now a fair bit older than when released (Koppy, Ferres, Fergie, Moors), plus others who are part-time players with good jobs (Welham, Lockwood). We then have a chunk of players who are really good Championship players and fan favourites but have never really been seen as full-time SL players (Cooper, Davies, Hardcastle etc).

Not trying to be unduly pessimistic and we should perhaps just enjoy the current great spell but just pointing out how much work will need to be done in a short period of time recruiting a SL-ready squad if we do get promoted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's the biggest mood-dampener about our unbeaten run. Harrison has reportedly already signed for Warrington for next season, another rumour suggests Leeds are talking to Gale, and Halton is supposedly attracting attention too.

If we make it to SL, how many of our current squad are going to be realistic options? We could easily lose our four most obvious up-and-coming stars, we just can't guarantee them SL rugby next season at this stage.

Then we have a chunk of players well into the veteran stage who last played in SL more than two years ago and are now a fair bit older than when released (Koppy, Ferres, Fergie, Moors), plus others who are part-time players with good jobs (Welham, Lockwood). We then have a chunk of players who are really good Championship players and fan favourites but have never really been seen as full-time SL players (Cooper, Davies, Hardcastle etc).

Not trying to be unduly pessimistic and we should perhaps just enjoy the current great spell but just pointing out how much work will need to be done in a short period of time recruiting a SL-ready squad if we do get promoted.

Totally agree  PH  it's all about the championship and the team we have now what happens in the future is just that the future and it will take care of it's self

OR as a wise man once said

                                          Que sera, sera

                                          Whatever will be, will be
                                          We're  going to WEMBERLEY

                                          Que sera, sera

                                          

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Any Championship team promoted to S.L. will only have a 15% chance of staying up.Leigh are a similar club to us and despite Beaumont's backing can't manage to stay up.What do supporters want S.L and getting beat every week not having regular Sunday games or a top three Championship team with part time players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

  Any Championship team promoted to S.L. will only have a 15% chance of staying up.Leigh are a similar club to us and despite Beaumont's backing can't manage to stay up.What do supporters want S.L and getting beat every week not having regular Sunday games or a top three Championship team with part time players.

Personally S I couldn't care less all I want is that my grandkids can bring their grandkids to watch FEV in whatever league were in

Having said that with the new sky deal coming in having a pop at SL may be the only way for clubs to receive RFL funding 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best idea would be to make the SL and Championship  one league. The other clubs could come in when they reach the standard and the League could then be increased. All Lancashire clubs play each other as would the Yorkshire clubs,  Extra fixtures added for clubs outside the two counties plus extra fixtures between Y and L clubs  say four games. Opponents based on League positions. Cumberland clubs to be shown as Lancashire in the fixtures. Monies in to be divided between all clubs, with hand outs to League two clubs. New negotiations with better sponsors to be organised by a combined RL and SL.   Top eight play off.  No promotion or relegation. Go back to the old days. I know not many will agree but it would cut out a lot of problems and arguments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Best idea would be to make the SL and Championship  one league. The other clubs could come in when they reach the standard and the League could then be increased. All Lancashire clubs play each other as would the Yorkshire clubs,  Extra fixtures added for clubs outside the two counties plus extra fixtures between Y and L clubs  say four games. Opponents based on League positions. Cumberland clubs to be shown as Lancashire in the fixtures. Monies in to be divided between all clubs, with hand outs to League two clubs. New negotiations with better sponsors to be organised by a combined RL and SL.   Top eight play off.  No promotion or relegation. Go back to the old days. I know not many will agree but it would cut out a lot of problems and arguments.

Or how about three leagues of equal standing. That would make 12 teams in each league. That would be 22 games in each league. There could be a top two play off from each league making 6 teams, after the first round there would be three teams plus the best loser from the first round. The four teams could then play off for the champions. The combined RL and SL could negotiate a new sponsor deal and clubs in the now lower order would get better gates playing the stronger clubs and would improve. The RL cup could be played from the 36 clubs on a knock out basis . A better idea I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...