overseas quota

tms

With the signing of JF now we 10 who started playing  rugby down under so the main forum is awash  with hysteria about FEV having so many  I pointed some had british passports but they were adamant that didn't count anymore  So discounting our non fed Samoans what is the actual status of our antipodean contingent

20 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Is there a quota in the championship?

No, only SL.

I think having checked the RFL Operational Rules the 7-player limit in SL is actually described as non-Federation trained rather than overseas players, though I'm ready to be corrected on that, so having a British passport might not exempt you from the quota - I'm not sure about that though.

I'm pretty sure that the old Kolpak rules which used to mean players from PNG/Samoa etc were not classed as non-Fed were ditched a couple of years ago.

53 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No, only SL.

I think having checked the RFL Operational Rules the 7-player limit in SL is actually described as non-Federation trained rather than overseas players, though I'm ready to be corrected on that, so having a British passport might not exempt you from the quota - I'm not sure about that though.

I'm pretty sure that the old Kolpak rules which used to mean players from PNG/Samoa etc were not classed as non-Fed were ditched a couple of years ago.

Just to add that for a player to qualify as 'Federation Trained' they must have played in the ERLF for 3 seasons post 'U21' so I think most of our overseas players would be OK anyway. 

Pretty sure passports only become relevant with respect to visa requirements now although The RFL have the right to declare any player as 'Federation Trained'

On 20/04/2022 at 11:57, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Pretty sure passports only become relevant with respect to visa requirements now although The RFL have the right to declare any player as 'Federation Trained'

When did passport rule change because according to TRL's Overseas Quota – A Beginner’s Guide in 2019 An Overseas Player is someone who does not hold a European passport or is not a national from a Kolpak Nation 

Archived