St James park

Tosh

However rich the Saudis/Newcastle United might be the football club can’t just spend it’s way to success due to the financial fair play rules in football.  This means football clubs must maximise revenue so getting facility fees for big events is important.

Man U will keep renting Old Trafford for the Grand Final.  Tottenham Hotspur has long term agreements with the NFL and Saracens Rugby Union.  Obviously various Stadia host concerts too (sold out Sam Fender double header next summer at St James).

The 2023 Magic Weekend has been agreed by the current regime and not by Mike Ashley.  I am also aware Newcastle Council are desperate to continue to support non-Newcastle United big ticket events at St James.  We’ve had Olympic 2012 football,  Union WC 2015 now League WC too.

Olympics and World Cups only come around every so often and assuming Magic Weekend is done after 2024 - the path is clear for England Rugby League to establish St James as a regular home.

The RFL have to keep up momentum after this event and get England games firmly in the calendar for mid and post next season.

Announcing Magic Weekend 2023 following the England Samoa match at St James was shrewd and hopefully local attendance will grow next season.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

However rich the Saudis/Newcastle United might be the football club can’t just spend it’s way to success due to the financial fair play rules in football.  This means football clubs must maximise revenue so getting facility fees for big events is important.

Man U will keep renting Old Trafford for the Grand Final.  Tottenham Hotspur has long term agreements with the NFL and Saracens Rugby Union.  Obviously various Stadia host concerts too (sold out Sam Fender double header next summer at St James).

The 2023 Magic Weekend has been agreed by the current regime and not by Mike Ashley.  I am also aware Newcastle Council are desperate to continue to support non-Newcastle United big ticket events at St James.  We’ve had Olympic 2012 football,  Union WC 2015 now League WC too.

Olympics and World Cups only come around every so often and assuming Magic Weekend is done after 2024 - the path is clear for England Rugby League to establish St James as a regular home.

The RFL have to keep up momentum after this event and get England games firmly in the calendar for mid and post next season.

Announcing Magic Weekend 2023 following the England Samoa match at St James was shrewd and hopefully local attendance will grow next season.  

Its become pretty evident that England internationals are a better sell to the people of newcastle and the wider north east region as opposed to magic weekend.

On 17/10/2022 at 05:08, Phil W said:

They have played a couple of games pre-Covid but they didn't end up being financially viable.

Both games attracted over 30k I believe and were dubbed “The big one.”

I would have thought that 30k was phenomenal for a single premiership RU match?

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Both games attracted over 30k I believe and were dubbed “The big one.”

I would have thought that 30k was phenomenal for a single premiership RU match?

They were double headers to an extent preceded by Newcastle University v Northumbria University with hordes of heavily reduced student tickets.  I’m not sure how profitable the events would have been and they aren’t trying to do it again post COVID.