2023 - Team & Squad

Indigogo

Presuming that we make no further signings, what do you think our team will look like come the first game against Fev (Only 8 weeks away now!) 🙂

I think we will look something like below, taking into account that out of the new signings Doyle will be suspended and Roby recovering from injury.

FB - Lewis Young
Right Wing - Mo Agoro
Right Centre - Nathan Roebuck
Left Centre - Ben Crooks (New Signing)
Left Wing - Charlie Graham
Stand Off: Dane Chisolm
Scrum Half: Jack Miller
Prop: Toby Everett (New Signing)
Hooker: Billy Gaylor
Prop: Mark Ioane (New Signing)
Second Row: Ellis Robson (New Signing)
Second Row: Kyle Trout
Loose: Brad Walker (New Signing)

Interchanges:

Sadiq Adebiyi (New Signing)
Aaron Levy
Dan Parker
Brendan Santi

That could leave us light at hooker without Doyle so Kyle Kesik or Harvey Spence may come into the 17 for the start of the season until Doyle is back. Once he's available I think he will be our starting 9 with Gaylor coming off the bench. Saying that, Brad Walker played hooker on occasions for Wakey so that could be an option.

With the above 17 that leaves the rest of as below:

Kieran Dyer-Dixon
Kyle Kesik
Josh Lynam
Lewis Roby (New Signing) (Injured for start of the season)
Thomas Doyle (New Signing) (Suspended for 3 games)
Harvey Spence
Alix Stevenson
Anesu Mudoti
Robbie Storey (New Signing)
Jake Webster (Player/Coach)

It will be interesting to see how much game time Jake gets considering he is now a a player/coach and also has an off the field role. Kieran Dyer-Dixon is a young lad and i could see him being loaned out again if we did make additional signings, however as it stands i don't think we have the numbers, a couple of injuries/suspensions and i feel we could be caught a little short. Personally i'd like to see some cover/competition in the halves and another Prop but i can't see who we could bring in and it may be a case of going with the personal we have and possibly looking at loans as and when required.

It will be interesting to see how Rhys goes as there are a lot of player interchangeable in the forwards and i'm sure the actual match day squad will be different to what i've suggested!

I think the team you suggested seems logcal to me and wont be too far away.

I think we should have a competitive squad but your right that we dont have too much depth in certain positions.

As with most clubs this season, success (or not) could well be determined by injuries.

Personally I cant wait for the season to start - bring it on!

We will certainly be competitive and will be fit and ready come the start of season. It's just a bit of a worry on the squad size, if Dyer-Dixon is unlikely to play and Webster takes more of a coaching roll, that only leaves a 25 man squad.

I do think we might dip into the loan market if required and I've heard Junior Sa'u has a possibility of returning once he's finished his season in America. In fairness, we did sign Chizzy, Sa'u, Trout, Everett and Pettybourne after the season had started last year, so if the right player does become available i'm sure we will act.

Edited by Indigogo

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Indigogo said:

We certainly will. He obviously starts, so the question is, who misses out?

Not too sure on our best starting 13 now. However we definitely needed some cover as I expect injuries/suspensions to take their toll this season. Rhys did play Dane Chisolm off the bench a little last season.

He did play Dane from the bench a couple of times but only when Muzza was starting in the halves and then moving to 13. I can't see any of Jack, Dane or Luke playing at 13 so not sure that would be an option. Truth of the matter is, you don't bring Luke Gale in on the money he's likely to be on to not play, so he starts. It's up to Rhys to decide who starts with him and if he rotates them or if one becomes more of a squad player. I just hope this doesn't mean either of the Jack or Dane wish to leave, but that's competitive sport for you. Personally I think there will be enough games to go around for the 3, injuries and suspensions are likely to occur and I hope this year we have a decent cup run in both cup comps.

I think keeping everybody happy will test Rhys this season. Competition for places can bring out the best in a player if managed well. As you say there should be enough games for all, Also by using our half backs wisely we can keep them fresh through out the longer season. A cup run would be nice.

You need a strong squad in the Championship and like you said we need healthy competition. In League one there was literally 10 games a season that were competitive which afforded us the luxury of not risking players when not 100% fit and rotating the forwards frequently.

Fev and Toulouse obvious favourites but i still wouldn't have them down as unbeatable and think they will drop points throughout the season. It's going to be so competitive, we have a tough start to the season as well so need to hit the ground running.

5 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Fev and Toulouse obvious favourites but i still wouldn't have them down as unbeatable and think they will drop points throughout the season. It's going to be so competitive, we have a tough start to the season as well so need to hit the ground running.

You will find a big difference in this season to last season,completely different teams. I think you will stay up though,you've put a decent a squad together.

7 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

You will find a big difference in this season to last season,completely different teams. I think you will stay up though,you've put a decent a squad together.

Staying up is the absolute bare minimum with the squad we've put together and money spent. There's a lot of SL and Top End championship players been signed in the last 6 months, and if we miss out on playoffs I think it'll be seen as a failure from everyone at the club. It's obviously going to be much more difficult than last season but the clubs ambitions are clear to see.

• Like 1

Just now, Indigogo said:

Staying up is the absolute bare minimum with the squad we've put together and money spent. There's a lot of SL and Top End championship players been signed in the last 6 months, and if we miss out on playoffs I think it'll be seen as a failure from everyone at the club. It's obviously going to be much more difficult than last season but the clubs ambitions are clear to see.

And it's nice to see Keighley doing well after putting in all the hard work.

23 hours ago, Indigogo said:

He did play Dane from the bench a couple of times but only when Muzza was starting in the halves and then moving to 13. I can't see any of Jack, Dane or Luke playing at 13 so not sure that would be an option. Truth of the matter is, you don't bring Luke Gale in on the money he's likely to be on to not play, so he starts. It's up to Rhys to decide who starts with him and if he rotates them or if one becomes more of a squad player. I just hope this doesn't mean either of the Jack or Dane wish to leave, but that's competitive sport for you. Personally I think there will be enough games to go around for the 3, injuries and suspensions are likely to occur and I hope this year we have a decent cup run in both cup comps.

At the time of the announcement of the signing of Luke Gale,he hadn't trained with his teammates.

Interesting to read that just over 12 months ago,Jake Connor,was praising the leadership qualities of Luke Gale - as Hull FC signed him.

The captaincy issue comes into play.

I also think playing through the cold months,on muddy surfaces before the pitches dry out,may require 2 different sides,and possibly a different half back pairing.

It should be interesting.Keeping the same spine from last years squad may be an advantage in our first home game V Featherstone. 

Their new coaching team,and signings,all have to gell despite only recently coming together.

Not too fussed about the cup games,at the moment.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

At the time of the announcement of the signing of Luke Gale,he hadn't trained with his teammates.

Interesting to read that just over 12 months ago,Jake Connor,was praising the leadership qualities of Luke Gale - as Hull FC signed him.

I also think playing through the cold months,on muddy surfaces before the pitches dry out,may require 2 different sides,and possibly a different half back pairing.

It should be interesting.Keeping the same spine from last years squad may be an advantage in our first home game V Featherstone. 

Their new coaching team,and signings,all have to gell despite only recently coming together.

Not too fussed about the cup games,at the moment.

No I understand Monday was his first training session with us, another tonight I think. 

I'm glad we've got some experience in after losing Muzza, Buster, Pettybourne and Sa'u. 

Interesting point you make about the pitches but I can't see Gale being signed to play half a season. How do you see the half back pairing looking?

Fair point about Fev, new coaching set up and signings could be a slight advantage for us. Time will tell!

47 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Not too fussed about the cup games,at the 

In my experience of watching RL and football the worst first games are the ones against newly promoted  teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigogo said:

No I understand Monday was his first training session with us, another tonight I think. 

I'm glad we've got some experience in after losing Muzza, Buster, Pettybourne and Sa'u. 

Interesting point you make about the pitches but I can't see Gale being signed to play half a season. How do you see the half back pairing looking?

Fair point about Fev, new coaching set up and signings could be a slight advantage for us. Time will tell!

I think Miller & Chisholm hold the shirts.I think they'll keep them,initially.

Listening to Craig Harrison on that You Tube link,and mentioning number 3 in relation to Gale was also interesting.

I shall be pleased to have some news about captaincy, squad numbers,info about the new acquisitions. I may even request the stats during the 2023 season;again.

Looking forward to it...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think Miller & Chisholm hold the shirts.I think they'll keep them,initially.

Listening to Craig Harrison on that You Tube link,and mentioning number 3 in relation to Gale was also interesting.

I shall be pleased to have some news about captaincy, squad numbers,info about the new acquisitions. I may even request the stats during the 2023 season;again.

Looking forward to it...

Gale might have gone to a NRL or SL team as a number 3 but he won't be joining us with the money we are paying him, for him not to start, it would be ludicrous.

Yep I'm eagerly awaiting the squad numbers and other info about the new signings. Most other clubs seem to have announced all these details. On a side note, I really wish the club would put some content out on the social about the new signings, pre season, build up to the new season. We play the favourites for the title in 7 weeks and theres been absolutely nothing 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Does anyone know what the situation is withJumior S'au? as I was told he is still training with us last night.

He's done pre season with us and is now heading back to the US to play Union for DC Glory. I've heard whispers he might come back to us once their season is done, would be a similar time as to when he joined this season.