Marathon man Gary McKee joined by rugby legend Kevin Sinfield

JMB

*Gary McKee joined by rugby legend Kevin Sinfield*

A Cumbrian man was joined by a sporting legend on his 354th marathon of the year. 

Gary McKee, 53, from Cleator Moor was delighted to be joined by rugby stalwart, Kevin Sinfield today (20th December).

Gary who is commonly referred to as Marathon Man, has been running a marathon a day since 1st January 2022. 

McKee has raised over £350,000 so far this year for his two chosen charities; Macmillan Cancer Support and Hospice At Home West Cumbria.

Kevin Sinfield is the defence coach for the England national rugby union team, a former professional rugby league player, captain and director of rugby for the Leeds Rhinos. 

Sinfield is also well known for his fundraising feats most recently running 7 ultra marathons in 7 days for charities associated with Motor Neurone Disease. 

Speaking of Gary’s achievements and challenge Kevin said: “ INSERT KEVIN COMMENT …

With 10 marathons to go, Gary said: “I’m proud of what we’ve achieved over the last year. I’ve seen people believe in themselves and run full marathon distances with me, something they thought they’d never do and that’s simply fantastic. 

“Watching the JustGiving page go up each day has been inspiring and seeing the amount of people supporting me has been incredible. Having Kevin with me today has been great, we share a lot of common interests and it’s been great to catch up with a likeminded chap.  

Gary, who has supported Macmillan for over 18 years, he continued: “The reason I’m doing this is that I’m lucky enough to be able to take on a physical challenge of this scale, and every day I think about all the people going through cancer treatment who face their own physical and emotional challenges.

“If I can support people going through cancer and other life-limiting illnesses while inspiring people to get out there and fundraise themselves, then every marathon I do every day is worth the effort.”

Gary was inspired to start fundraising for Macmillan after his father was diagnosed with cancer in 1997; his father died from an unrelated illness in 2003. He turned to running as a positive way of keeping his father's memory alive while helping millions of people suffering from cancer. He has been hugely inspirational to those who follow him.

He added: “If I’ve learned anything this year it is that time is precious and the important things in life aren’t things the important things are our friends and family.

“It’s either one day or it’s day one, the choice is yours. Be brave, take the first step and only look back to see how far you have came.”

GARY mC AND kEVIN sINFIELD PHOTO.jpg

• Like 5

On 20/12/2022 at 18:18, JMB said:
*Gary McKee joined by rugby legend Kevin Sinfield*

A Cumbrian man was joined by a sporting legend on his 354th marathon of the year. 

Gary McKee, 53, from Cleator Moor was delighted to be joined by rugby stalwart, Kevin Sinfield today (20th December).

Gary who is commonly referred to as Marathon Man, has been running a marathon a day since 1st January 2022. 

McKee has raised over £350,000 so far this year for his two chosen charities; Macmillan Cancer Support and Hospice At Home West Cumbria.

Kevin Sinfield is the defence coach for the England national rugby union team, a former professional rugby league player, captain and director of rugby for the Leeds Rhinos. 

Sinfield is also well known for his fundraising feats most recently running 7 ultra marathons in 7 days for charities associated with Motor Neurone Disease. 

Speaking of Gary’s achievements and challenge Kevin said: “ INSERT KEVIN COMMENT …

With 10 marathons to go, Gary said: “I’m proud of what we’ve achieved over the last year. I’ve seen people believe in themselves and run full marathon distances with me, something they thought they’d never do and that’s simply fantastic. 

“Watching the JustGiving page go up each day has been inspiring and seeing the amount of people supporting me has been incredible. Having Kevin with me today has been great, we share a lot of common interests and it’s been great to catch up with a likeminded chap.  

Gary, who has supported Macmillan for over 18 years, he continued: “The reason I’m doing this is that I’m lucky enough to be able to take on a physical challenge of this scale, and every day I think about all the people going through cancer treatment who face their own physical and emotional challenges.

“If I can support people going through cancer and other life-limiting illnesses while inspiring people to get out there and fundraise themselves, then every marathon I do every day is worth the effort.”

Gary was inspired to start fundraising for Macmillan after his father was diagnosed with cancer in 1997; his father died from an unrelated illness in 2003. He turned to running as a positive way of keeping his father's memory alive while helping millions of people suffering from cancer. He has been hugely inspirational to those who follow him.

He added: “If I’ve learned anything this year it is that time is precious and the important things in life aren’t things the important things are our friends and family.

“It’s either one day or it’s day one, the choice is yours. Be brave, take the first step and only look back to see how far you have came.”

GARY mC AND kEVIN sINFIELD PHOTO.jpg

Please give your support, 

• 2 weeks later...

What a great day for our very own Marathon Man Gary McKee, he hit his total earlier on today of raising 1 MILLION POUND, what a fantastic achievement.

A big thank you to everyone who helped and donated. 

sinfield and gaz 2.jpg

Edited by JMB

19 hours ago, dkw said:

Incredible effort, absolute machine.

Who was the guy on the video that topped it up to a million?

Lad at work says they called him Sharee and met from when he ran in London when Mo Farrer stood him up. 

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

23 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Lad at work says they called him Sharee and met from when he ran in London when Mo Farrer stood him up. 

Sharee got Intouch with Gary before the London run through Strava, and he was one of the guys who helped set up the London run if I'm not mistaken, and Gary and the team stopped at Sharees apartment in London the day before the run.

I had the privilege of meeting him on Saturday, and what a humble guy he is. 

• Like 2