Give Perth WA the real thing

On 06/08/2023 at 17:50, The Daddy said:

HBF has a poor atmosphere. Not good for TV viewership. Optus stadium yes, it's an awesome stadium. I believe it was voted the best looking stadium in the world, but might be too big for regular season games 

I would have thought that there is a good chance that the Perth franchise could immediately become the best supported rugby club of either code in the world.

Putting an NRL team in Perth is surely the no brainer of no brainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

I would have thought that there is a good chance that the Perth franchise could immediately become the best supported rugby club of either code in the world.

No sure about becoming the best supported rugby club of either code in the world but giving Perth the 18th franchise is like you say the no brainer of no brainers.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 13:12, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Would Victoria benefit from a second team? Surely a big derby match would be the next step to really building a strong foothold there?

Is there a rugby league following that good the Storm in disdain that could be tapped into?

Let’s wait and test that theory after the sustained success the Storm have realised under Bellamy is no longer present and the club steers its way through a few years of average performances. 

Personally, I don’t think Melbourne could host a second NRL team any time soon, nor should it be a priority over many more new expansion destinations.

On 08/08/2023 at 13:48, BladeHearts said:

Maybe drink some of the low unit stuff for a while 😂 

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Let’s wait and test that theory after the sustained success the Storm have realised under Bellamy is no longer present and the club steers its way through a few years of average performances. 

Personally, I don’t think Melbourne could host a second NRL team any time soon, nor should it be a priority over many more new expansion destinations.

If it’s right that the NRL are eventually looking to settle on 20 teams in the next 10 years or so giving you only 3 places available you’d like to think that it’s Perth, NZ2 and another south east region Queensland team.

I always find it odd that Adelaide gets no mention at all when it comes to expansion. The Rams drew over 10,000 per game their first season! I know it is an AFL town and not nearly as large as Perth, but surely it deserves at least a cursory glance?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eal said:

I always find it odd that Adelaide gets no mention at all when it comes to expansion. The Rams drew over 10,000 per game their first season! I know it is an AFL town and not nearly as large as Perth, but surely it deserves at least a cursory glance?

Better options and limited places.

On 07/08/2023 at 02:57, Adelaide Tiger said:

Wasn’t a team from Perth once mooted as potential entrants into Super League along with a possible team from South Africa when SL was first proposed.  Or have I been eating too much cheese before bedtime?

I saw that in The Sun newspaper back in 1994.

18 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

If it’s right that the NRL are eventually looking to settle on 20 teams in the next 10 years or so giving you only 3 places available you’d like to think that it’s Perth, NZ2 and another south east region Queensland team.

I don't want to wait 10 years I want to see another 1988 and 1995 and see Perth, New Zealand 2 alongside another QLD team all join together alongside West Tigers de merging and dropping down to NSW Cup and taking the license to Central Coast.

2 hours ago, EggFace said:

I don't want to wait 10 years I want to see another 1988 and 1995 and see Perth, New Zealand 2 alongside another QLD team all join together alongside West Tigers de merging and dropping down to NSW Cup and taking the license to Central Coast.

Well the devolution of Wests Tigers may be a good idea, but if it were to happen you will find one of them remains in the NRL. I don’t think either club want the de merger. Centre of excellence and large romantic crowds out of the Tigers, while huge financial Leagues club backing and an exploding population in the western corridor compliments the Magpies.

The North Sydney Bears to CC is a very obvious fit which I am amazed the Bears don’t focus their attention on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well the devolution of Wests Tigers may be a good idea, but if it were to happen you will find one of them remains in the NRL. I don’t think either club want the de merger. Centre of excellence and large romantic crowds out of the Tigers, while huge financial Leagues club backing and an exploding population in the western corridor compliments the Magpies.

The North Sydney Bears to CC is a very obvious fit which I am amazed the Bears don’t focus their attention on. 

CC is to small for its own NRL team now. The time was 25 years ago not now. The NRL isn't going to waste a spot for an area already close to 10 other NRL clubs

9 hours ago, Dirkgee said:

CC is to small for its own NRL team now. The time was 25 years ago not now. The NRL isn't going to waste a spot for an area already close to 10 other NRL clubs

I disagree it is too small. Perth is bigger and likely so is NZII, but it’s probably the next biggest of any serious location.

The CC is a RL nursery with a great stadium, with historical allegiance to the Bears.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 06:48, BladeHearts said:

What an earth are you on about. Go to sleep. 

The North Sydney Bears need to return in some form. They have the money and fan support and are willing to go anywhere, including Perth. Basing them in Perth would mean they have home support at both games in Perth and the numerous game they would play in Sydney.

50 minutes ago, eal said:

The North Sydney Bears need to return in some form. They have the money and fan support and are willing to go anywhere, including Perth. Basing them in Perth would mean they have home support at both games in Perth and the numerous game they would play in Sydney.

No they don't 'need to return'. The game has moved on since they left and there's more than enough Sydney teams

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I disagree it is too small. Perth is bigger and likely so is NZII, but it’s probably the next biggest of any serious location.

The CC is a RL nursery with a great stadium, with historical allegiance to the Bears.

Definitely a missed opportunity on the central coast for me firstly with the delayed stadium completion for the north Sydney bears and then the failed northern eagles manly&norths merger club.

22 hours ago, EggFace said:

Never going to happen unfortunately due to player depth issues.

3 hours ago, eal said:

The bears have become a bit of joke and punchline with NRL fans of late due to them willing to partner up with anyone and everyone.

It is a travesty the Bears were ever kicked out. Ironically the merger with Manly doomed them, they would have been better being kicked out altogether like Souths - it would have led to a galvanized protest movement from their fans, instead they had nothing to protest as they were supposedly still in existence as the Northern Eagles.

For what it's worth, I grew up a Bears fan. Switched to the Roosters when they disappeared. Not sure what i would do now if they ever came back. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eal said:

It is a travesty the Bears were ever kicked out. Ironically the merger with Manly doomed them, they would have been better being kicked out altogether like Souths - it would have led to a galvanized protest movement from their fans, instead they had nothing to protest as they were supposedly still in existence as the Northern Eagles.

For what it's worth, I grew up a Bears fan. Switched to the Roosters when they disappeared. Not sure what i would do now if they ever came back. 

The bears were my team also and should never have been kicked out.

It’s also a shame that the north Sydney Oval hasn’t been upgraded as it’s a beautiful boutique suburban ground.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eal said:

They won’t be in Perth. That’s a certainty.

• Like 1