A look to 2024

Indigogo

6 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Matt Bailey and Lachlan Lanskey both added to the squad for 2024.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead Bishop, Ryder, Bailey and Lanskey.

Up to 14 players confirmed now.

I think maybe 5 more retentions if we are lucky and 6 more new signings to take us to 25.

Oscar Thomas signs up for 2024. I'm okay with that if he's a squad player, covers a couple of positions and looked decent enough last season.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead Bishop, Ryder, Bailey, Lanskey and Thomas.

Up to 15 players confirmed now.

Thought I'd breakdown the current 15 announced by position to see what we might expect to come in over the next couple of weeks.

Full back -

Wing - Graham, DFJ, Downey

Centre - Sa'u, Ryder

Half - Miller, Bishop, Stead

Utility - Thomas

Hooker - Kesik

Prop - Parker, Hatton, Bailey

Back Row - Lynam, Lanskey

Loose - 

Full Back - I think we need to sign a full back. Thomas could quite easily play there but I would like to see an out and out FB come in. 

Wing -  options are good. DFJ and Charlie will be the starters with Downey covering them.

Centre - Will be filled by Sa'u and Ryder, a really powerful combination. I can't see that anyone else can play centre in the current 15 (maybe Graham at a push) so maybe a utility centre/winger could come in.

Half back - Miller, Bishop, Stead and Thomas are the options. With 4 options in the squad I can't see us adding anyone else in the halves.

Hooker - Kesik is predominantly a hooker but did play loose forward a lot last season, and even prop. With both Doyle and Gaylor leaving I'm expecting we bring in at least one hooker, possibly 2 depending on where Foster sees Kesik playing. Someone with pace to run from dummy half would be nice.

Prop - Only 3 announced in the 15 so far. We were short in this position for the whole of last season and with all the loans returning I think we need at least another 3. Obviously retaining Ioane would be huge, if we could do that and sign another couple of established props I'd say that our options were better than last season. 

Back row - We already have 2 good options in Lanskey and Lynam. Robson and Adebiyi are still officially contracted but I cant see both being retained. Hopefully one of those is retained and then we have good, solid options in the back row.

Loose - This is probably the hardest position to comment on. Trout, Kesik, Walker, Parker all played there last season and we never really had an out and out 13 playing there all the time. New signing Lanskey has also played this position. Personally I think Dan Parker looked good there and would like to see him have a run of games there but that would mean an additional prop being required.

To summarise, we have 15 currently confirmed and you'd guess we'd want to run with a squad of 25ish, meaning maybe 10 more to still to be announced. 

Full Back

Centre/Wing Utility

Hooker x 2

Prop x 3

Loose

That would be another 8 players to take us to 23, then maybe a couple of younger lads to come in to bolster the numbers. That's all guess work though and I've no idea who we are bringing in/retaining, though I think the signings so far have been good and well thought out.

Of the the 2023 squad there's still confirmation to come on Trout, Ioane, Adebiyi, Robson, Walker and Atkinson. It'd be nice to keep Trout, Ioane, Robson and/or Sid. Atkinson maybe stays as 4th choice back rower.

I think the squads shaping up nicely and I think we will be right up there challenging with Oldham if the signings carry on in the same ilk.

Let's see what this week brings!

Edited by Indigogo
  • Like 1

I think you're half right. In League 1 Oscar at Full Back would be like a cheat code. Lynam makes more sense as a prop in L1 but can cover back row. 

Bishop can cover 9. I liked Parker at 13 towards the end of last season. 

Don't really need a huge squad as no reserves team so lads will only get their chance if there's injuries and you can't carry players that aren't playing as they'll just get fed up and want to move on as we probably saw with Mudoti and KDD.

Josh Guzdek,a full back,has been released by Sheffield Eagles.He has played for Keighley  Cougars before.He isn't 30 yet, though.

I would worry about the lack of height and ability to defend high kicks with the backline that has been assembled - despite the one tall winger from Huddersfield. 

Not much of a winning,confidence culture there either.Despite some of the squad from 2022,the 2023 campaign wasn't the best for the Keighley returnees or lads from Whitehaven.

Not many games so a good start to 2024 will be essential.

Age factor may kick in - especially for play - offs at back end of the season.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, footlongsub said:

I think you're half right. In League 1 Oscar at Full Back would be like a cheat code. Lynam makes more sense as a prop in L1 but can cover back row. 

Bishop can cover 9. I liked Parker at 13 towards the end of last season. 

Don't really need a huge squad as no reserves team so lads will only get their chance if there's injuries and you can't carry players that aren't playing as they'll just get fed up and want to move on as we probably saw with Mudoti and KDD.

Lynam did play a lot at prop last season, think that was through necessity rather than anything else.

Wouldn't be keen on Bishop at 9 if he's still recovering from knee surgery. 

You need a squad of 25 minimum imo. You still need to be able to have competition within the squad. Injuries and suspensions are frequent in the sport, I don't so there being an issue with 25 or more in the squad. 

Mudoti and KDD left and went back to the amateur game and weren't of the required standard just yet. Young players who may come again though.

31 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Josh Guzdek,a full back,has been released by Sheffield Eagles.He has played for Keighley  Cougars before.He isn't 30 yet, though.

I would worry about the lack of height and ability to defend high kicks with the backline that has been assembled - despite the one tall winger from Huddersfield. 

Not much of a winning,confidence culture there either.Despite some of the squad from 2022,the 2023 campaign wasn't the best for the Keighley returnees or lads from Whitehaven.

Seen Josh Guzdek's name mentioned on a post on FB, but don't know anything other than that.

This squad will have to create their own winning culture. You don't inherit that from other teams.

We don't know how many games there will be yet. There's talks of loop fixtures meaning there would be 24 games. A good start is always welcome though. 

What age factor do you refer to? The 15 announced look to have a nice mix and blend of ages. 

7 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

He only lost his place at Sheffield because of a couple of shoulder injuries.

A few people saw him play at Doncaster where he was on loan and said that he was very good.

But in terms of age, he’s been kept out of the side by Q who’s nearly 39 and when he’s been out BJB who’s 35.

I hope Guz finds a good club.

11 hours ago, DaveyJalfrezi said:

He only lost his place at Sheffield because of a couple of shoulder injuries.

A few people saw him play at Doncaster where he was on loan and said that he was very good.

But in terms of age, he’s been kept out of the side by Q who’s nearly 39 and when he’s been out BJB who’s 35.

I hope Guz finds a good club.

I saw that he was on loan at Donny last season, helping them get promoted, he could quite easily be staying with them now they have attained championship rugby for 2024.

Ioane announced on a 2 year deal. An absolutely huge signing and I genuinely believe he will be the best prop in the league next season. 

16 in the squad now.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik.

10 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Ioane announced on a 2 year deal. An absolutely huge signing and I genuinely believe he will be the best prop in the league next season. 

16 in the squad now.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik.

great news and one I had really hoped for.

Looking good.

Has anything been said about Brad Walker. Quality player just looked really jaded towards the end of the season and who could blame him.

Trout I'm not sure about. Better at loose forward than prop doesn't run hard enough but if I had a choice for loose it would be Walker.

Must be difficult trying to put a good team together in Championship 1 unless your splashing the cash. 

Difference between paying good money to someone like Ioane to keep him at the club because you know what he brings to players with names who you hope do what you brought them in for.

21 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

Has anything been said about Brad Walker. Quality player just looked really jaded towards the end of the season and who could blame him.

Trout I'm not sure about. Better at loose forward than prop doesn't run hard enough but if I had a choice for loose it would be Walker.

Must be difficult trying to put a good team together in Championship 1 unless your splashing the cash. 

Difference between paying good money to someone like Ioane to keep him at the club because you know what he brings to players with names who you hope do what you brought them in for.

I dont think there's much chance of Brad Walker staying, he didn't look remotely bothered towards the end of the season. His best position was loose forward but defensively I thought he was lazy, I might be being harsh but I'd be happy to see him go. He was on big money too from what I understand. 

I think Trout looked good once he came back from injury and can play big minutes in back row, front row or loose. I'd love to keep him.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 08:10, Indigogo said:

16 in the squad now.

Ben Dean announce this morning. Young half back from Huddersfield. He's the 2nd young lad from the Giants so it looks like might have struck up a bit of a partnership with them.

Dean will likely be 4th/5th choice half back but will want to make an impression. Good Luck to the the lad.

17 players now.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik.

Hopefully a Full Back, 2 Hookers, 2 Props and a Back Rower to be confirmed, with a couple more young lads to make 25.

1 hour ago, Dovster said:

Does anyone know how many games will be played in League 1 next season as this will impact on the necessary depth of the squad. 

As it stands there is 16 fixtures but I believe the RFL are working on a number of options to increase this, think there's an announcement at the end of this month 

1 hour ago, Indigogo said:

As it stands there is 16 fixtures but I believe the RFL are working on a number of options to increase this, think there's an announcement at the end of this month 

Thanks. I heard that there was a meeting but not the outcome. It'll be interesting to see what is decided.

22 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Ben Dean announce this morning. Young half back from Huddersfield. He's the 2nd young lad from the Giants so it looks like might have struck up a bit of a partnership with them.

Dean will likely be 4th/5th choice half back but will want to make an impression. Good Luck to the the lad.

17 players now.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik.

Hopefully a Full Back, 2 Hookers, 2 Props and a Back Rower to be confirmed, with a couple more young lads to make 25.

Aaron Brown the next one to join up for 2024 (whatever that may look like!) An astute signing I think, plenty of Championship experience and can play in a few positions, namely Loose forward and back row. The announcement said he can play hooker too but I think that has been a rarity. We are up to 18 in the squad now!

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik, Brown.

We have a long way to go yet if we are to match last years squad size 😁. Was it 46 ? Hopefully a lot better balanced side. 

Sad news for Newcastle fans with today's announcement. I dont know any of them personally but I've recognised a good few faces over many years especially the big fellas who sings constantly at matches.

These are the people I feel sorry for because I know I would be devastated if this ever happened to us. It's better to have a team that can compete on a weekly basis rather than reach for the stars when in reality it's never going to happen. 

Championship 1 must be a nightmare for the RFL but they don't support it enough financially and logistically so they have made it very difficult for themselves and are now backed into a corner.

Edited by Mr Hicks

27 minutes ago, Buzzer90 said:

Not sure we could have got relegated at a worse time...

Christ knows what the league will look like next year.

Alternatively there might not be a better time. If there's a restructure who knows how that's going to look? There could be 2 divisions of 11 meaning Whitehaven, Swinton and Barrow are all relegated. That's something that's happened to us in the past. 

There could be a merge of the leagues which essentially means relegation didn't matter (other than IMG scoring)

Or, as you say, we might be stuck in a league with 7 other teams for the season with multiple loop fixtures or a made up cup competition to create more games.