A look to 2024

Indigogo

1 hour ago, Indigogo said:

Jack Miller signs for 2024 & 25. A top half back at this level and someone who loves playing for the club. Happy with this one.

I shouldn't comment,but,well,it's all a bit deja vu.

https://keighleycougars.uk/jack-miller-2023

His last contract meant nothing.

Can he create? Did having Murrell and Chisholm as half back partners make him look better than he is? Can he kick from his hands?

Nothing more than a support player.This signing, and the 30 yrs+ yrs olds, will mean another huge overhaul in the unlikely event of any success in 2024.

I am still trying to work out the changes to the spine of the side - especially for London,on Sunday gone.

That's my lot.I've left the country so won't comment anymore.

Very best wishes to the true Cougars supporters.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 hours ago, Dovster said:

I'm affraid I need to be won over.

He is definitely a good player though I'm not too impressed with the way he left last season.

It didn't look good for him or the club.

The way he left certainly left a sour taste, for everyone I think. 

I think he was poorly treated initially but at the same time would have liked it if he stayed and fought for his position. We had Gale and Chizzy at that time, both were fairly injury prone and missed a lot of games and of course both left with lots of games remaining. Jack would have probably played 20/22 games if he had stayed.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 08:21, Dovster said:

Overall I am very happy with the way the squad building is going for next season.

It's looking very good.

I would agree. I still think there might be a couple more to leave after Storey and Everett but I'm growing more confident of keeping  Ioane and Robson 🤞 

Still not sure on Adebiyi, Trout and Thomas. I think they're still negotiating with the club.

Some of the rumoured signings look good too, I think we will be very competitive in League one if they're true.

5 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I would agree. I still think there might be a couple more to leave after Storey and Everett but I'm growing more confident of keeping  Ioane and Robson 🤞 

Still not sure on Adebiyi, Trout and Thomas. I think they're still negotiating with the club.

Some of the rumoured signings look good too, I think we will be very competitive in League one if they're true.

Unless the decision is made to merge the two lower leagues in 2025, whereupon your owners might decide to save money on players contracts and buy some more tins of paint instead.

😎

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Unless the decision is made to merge the two lower leagues in 2025, whereupon your owners might decide to save money on players contracts and buy some more tins of paint instead.

😎

I'm not sure how this would work as the difference in standard between League 1 and the Championship is huge.

League 1 does need more investment from the RFL and more teams/matches but I don't think a merger is the answer.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when new signings will be announced. Be good to see the calibre of players we will attract. 

Although it is nice to see big names joining the team it would be nice to have a good mixture of youth and experience. We have been down the big name route and it didnt work so hopefully lessons have been learned.

Looks like Oldham are going down that route this season so by the looks of it there will be no certainties with the likes of Oldham, Hunslet and probably Newcasle looking at the top spot as well as us.

Edited by Mr Hicks
Spelling

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

Does anyone know when new signings will be announced. Be good to see the calibre of players we will attract. 

Although it is nice to see big names joining the team it would be nice to have a good mixture of youth and experience. We have been down the big name route and it didnt work so hopefully lessons have been learned.

Looks like Oldham are going down that route this season so by the looks of it there will be no certainties with the likes of Oldham, Hunslet and probably Newcasle looking at the top spot as well as us.

I think the new signings and any more retentions will be announced on a daily basis over the next couple of weeks.

In terms of new signings, I think that we will be looking at players who have championship experience and then some younger lads (such as Codey Downey) who are leaving SL academies and reserves. It'll have to be blend as we need a lot of new players and there's obviously a budget to be worked to.

Oldham are likely to be the biggest spenders if reports are to be believed. Midlands apparently are spending a bit too. Hunslet are always competitive in this league but have an inexperienced coach this time round. Will be interesting to see what Newcastle do, I think a few will leave and they may use their academy products.

On 28/09/2023 at 21:17, Indigogo said:

Charlie Graham is staying for 2024, it was announced at the presentation tonight. Great news.

Graham, DFJ, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Lynam signed up for next season now.

Codey Downey, young winger from Huddersfield joins. Don't know much about him but suspect he will be back up to Graham and DFJ, to start with at least.

Lewis Hatton announced today. I think he's a great signing. I've always been impressed with him when I've watched him against us.

Toby Everett and Robbie Storey both announced as leaving. Sad to see both go, I don't think either let us down on the field. I think Robbie in particular will have plenty of suitors.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam all confirmed for 2024. 

22 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Codey Downey, young winger from Huddersfield joins. Don't know much about him but suspect he will be back up to Graham and DFJ, to start with at least.

Lewis Hatton announced today. I think he's a great signing. I've always been impressed with him when I've watched him against us.

Toby Everett and Robbie Storey both announced as leaving. Sad to see both go, I don't think either let us down on the field. I think Robbie in particular will have plenty of suitors.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam all confirmed for 2024. 

Ben Stead retained for 2024. I'm led to believe he will be a squad player. Another half back to be announced in due course I believe.

Up to 10 confirmed for 2024.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam and Stead.

Does anyone know if Agoro left on his own accord or did the club not want him.

Not sure about the new half back regards injuries. Think he has played on around 15 games in 2 seasons. Fingers crossed that's all behind him. Looking forward to a good new centre signing. Storey was strong runner but weak in defence and never realised he had a winger outside him that he was allowed to pass too.

29 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

Not sure about the new half back regards injuries. Think he has played on around 15 games in 2 seasons. Fingers crossed that's all behind him.

Great player when first arrived but you're correct, only managed 15 games in 2 years, smashed & re-structed his knee which may see him never regain his best... BUT... if he does, he's a hell of a signing, especially in league 1

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

Not sure about the new half back regards injuries. Think he has played on around 15 games in 2 seasons. Fingers crossed that's all behind him. Looking forward to a good new centre signing. Storey was strong runner but weak in defence and never realised he had a winger outside him that he was allowed to pass too.

My understanding is that Oldham offered him a better contract than we were prepared to.

2 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

My understanding is Oldham offered him good terms and we didn't match them. We brought DFJ in a while ago so I think they've been agreed a good while.

Regarding the new half back, he looks a classy player who has had a bad injury over the last 2 seasons. Hopefully the latest surgery remedies that and he can come back stronger. Foster will know him from his time in the Queensland cup.

New centre is imminent I believe. Not sure when announcements will be made but I think they're already signed up.

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Great player when first arrived but you're correct, only managed 15 games in 2 years, smashed & re-structed his knee which may see him never regain his best... BUT... if he does, he's a hell of a signing, especially in league 1

Do you know what the latest surgery was for?

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Shattered his knee cap playing against St.Helens, needed to have it fully reconstructed. Only played a couple more games when he came back as sadly don't think he fully recovered

I knew he had that bad injury but that was back in 2022. Looks like he's had surgery again on the same knee recently, I was just wonderin if he just come back too soon or if it was something different?

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 11:23, Indigogo said:

Ben Stead retained for 2024. I'm led to believe he will be a squad player. Another half back to be announced in due course I believe.

Up to 10 confirmed for 2024.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam and Stead.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead and Bishop.

11 for 2024 now confirmed. More to come soon I hope.

38 minutes ago, Dovster said:

I see Adam Ryder has signed. A solid centre who played well the last time for us and also against us in the CC game this season. Should be a good signing.

Yes happy with that one. A direct replacement for Robbie Storey, you would imagine.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead Bishop and Ryder.

11 for 2024 now confirmed.

Looks like the back line will be as below with a FB to come in. Plenty of power in the centres and pace on the wings, I like the way it's shaping up.

DFJ - Ryder - Sa'u - Graham

• Like 1

Matt Bailey signed. Surely these aren't Matt Fosters signings. Were going backwards. 

Adam Ryder is a Championship 1 centre but not in the same league as the players Oldham are signing. 

I hope there is better to come or we will be looking at play offs rather than promotion. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

Matt Bailey signed. Surely these aren't Matt Fosters signings. Were going backwards. 

Adam Ryder is a Championship 1 centre but not in the same league as the players Oldham are signing. 

I hope there is better to come or we will be looking at play offs rather than promotion. 

No issue with Bailey signing as a squad player. I'd much rather someone with 150 games under their belt come into the team than a loanee or young lad with minimal experience. 

Would disagree on Ryder. A powerful centre that has played a lot of Championship rugby. 

I would imagine there's a couple more props to come in, couple of hookers, a full back, and then hopefully some retentions. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Yes happy with that one. A direct replacement for Robbie Storey, you would imagine.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead Bishop and Ryder.

11 for 2024 now confirmed.

Looks like the back line will be as below with a FB to come in. Plenty of power in the centres and pace on the wings, I like the way it's shaping up.

DFJ - Ryder - Sa'u - Graham

Matt Bailey and Lachlan Lanskey both added to the squad for 2024.

Graham, DFJ, Downey, Sa'u, Miller, Kesik, Parker, Hatton, Lynam, Stead Bishop, Ryder, Bailey and Lanskey.

Up to 14 players confirmed now.

I think maybe 5 more retentions if we are lucky and 6 more new signings to take us to 25.