A look to 2024

Indigogo

3 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

We have a long way to go yet if we are to match last years squad size 😁. Was it 46 ? Hopefully a lot better balanced side. 

Sad news for Newcastle fans with today's announcement. I dont know any of them personally but I've recognised a good few faces over many years especially the big fellas who sings constantly at matches.

These are the people I feel sorry for because I know I would be devastated if this ever happened to us. It's better to have a team that can compete on a weekly basis rather than reach for the stars when in reality it's never going to happen. 

Championship 1 must be a nightmare for the RFL but they don't support it enough financially and logistically so they have made it very difficult for themselves and are now backed into a corner.

Jeez, let's hope we dont get anywhere near 36 never mind 46 😂

7 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Aaron Brown the next one to join up for 2024 (whatever that may look like!) An astute signing I think, plenty of Championship experience and can play in a few positions, namely Loose forward and back row. The announcement said he can play hooker too but I think that has been a rarity. We are up to 18 in the squad now!

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Kesik, Brown.

2 in one day, they're spoiling us now.

With Ellis being confirmed, which I think is great business, that probably means Adebiyi leaves the club. 

Up to 19.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Couple of props, hooker, maybe another full back, and we are pretty much done. Just hope we have a competitive and meaningful league to play in.

On 13/10/2023 at 16:32, Indigogo said:

2 in one day, they're spoiling us now.

With Ellis being confirmed, which I think is great business, that probably means Adebiyi leaves the club. 

Up to 19.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton,, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Couple of props, hooker, maybe another full back, and we are pretty much done. Just hope we have a competitive and meaningful league to play in.

Jordan Schofield signs from Wakefield. He looks a big unit and already has experience of the Championship after playing with Dewsbury in 2022. He then went back to Wakefield reserves and was the player of the year in 2023 and made one appearance in SL in the final game of the season.

20 players now signed up.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Edited by Indigogo

9 minutes ago, Dovster said:

The team is looking good.

We just need the uncertainty of next seasons format sorting.

I would agree. I still think we need 1 more prop, Hooker (maybe 2), Full back and Centre cover.

Hopefully find out more about the league format this week, there is a RFL meeting Thursday.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, footlongsub said:

Kezi and Brown at Hooker for me, no probs and Oscar is a great option at FB with Stead as cover.

Brown has played loose forward and back row most of his career, if he is to come in and play 9 then we need someone else to come in and play 13. I was hoping for a young, dynamic 9 who can come off the bench and inject some pace in from dummy half. I've no problem with Thomas playing full back but I'm not a fan of Stead as cover. I'd prefer we sign a recognised FB and have Thomas as cover.

We've still only got 20 signed up so there will be more to come in, in my opinion that needs to be FB, hooker x 2, prop and centre. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2023 at 11:07, Indigogo said:

Jordan Schofield signs from Wakefield. He looks a big unit and already has experience of the Championship after playing with Dewsbury in 2022. He then went back to Wakefield reserves and was the player of the year in 2023 and made one appearance in SL in the final game of the season.

20 players now signed up.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Will Maher announced on a season long loan from Halifax. On the face of it, it looks a good deal for us but Fax fans seem to be quite happy he's leaving, so maybe there's been issues. That said, he's 28 later this week and has ample SL experience, so surely he's a good addition to a L1 squad. 

Up to 21 in total for 2024.

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

17 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Will Maher announced on a season long loan from Halifax. On the face of it, it looks a good deal for us but Fax fans seem to be quite happy he's leaving, so maybe there's been issues. That said, he's 28 later this week and has ample SL experience, so surely he's a good addition to a L1 squad. 

Thomas, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Sounds as though he has a good deal of experience. Hopefully we can get the best out of him. Should be very good for L1 (If in fact we are in L1!!). The squad seems to be coming together nicely.

1 hour ago, footlongsub said:

I like Will. It only seems to be Finny that doesn't rate him. Give him an environment to thrive in and you never know. 

Fax fans seem to be happy he's gone. Hopefully there was something amiss at Fax and we can get the best out of him. You don't play 80 SL games if you don't have something about you. 

Behind the scenes it looks like Matt Foster is assembling the back room staff he wants. Paul Royston comes in to head up S&C. Lewis Hattons wife comes in as Physio.

Separately, Adam Mitchell has left Dewsbury and looking at comments on Facebook he might be joining us as assistant.

Looks like Matt will have trusted people in place for when pre season starts later this month. I think Matt is back from Australia in December, so it's important that the set up is right before he returns.

53 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Behind the scenes it looks like Matt Foster is assembling the back room staff he wants. Paul Royston comes in to head up S&C. Lewis Hattons wife comes in as Physio.

Separately, Adam Mitchell has left Dewsbury and looking at comments on Facebook he might be joining us as assistant.

Looks like Matt will have trusted people in place for when pre season starts later this month. I think Matt is back from Australia in December, so it's important that the set up is right before he returns.

Matt Foster does seem to be making good decisions. Very pleased with his contribution since he re-joined us.

59 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Matt Foster does seem to be making good decisions. Very pleased with his contribution since he re-joined us.

Yep would agree with. Few more finishing (4 or 5 players) touches to the playing squad and we are nearly there. We need to know the league format now 😂

• Like 1

On 31/10/2023 at 14:03, Indigogo said:

Young Billy Walkley joins us from Salford on a one year deal. Looks like he can play most positions on the backline but is predominantly a full back, which is what we needed. I've seen a few comments online to say he was well regarded at Salford and some fans were sad to see him leave. Fingers crossed we can give him an opportunity and he takes it. 

That takes up to 22. Be nice to get a hooker or 2 and maybe one more versatile forward and we'd be looking good. 

Thomas, Walkely, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

2 hours ago, Indigogo said:

Young Billy Walkley joins us from Salford on a one year deal. Looks like he can play most positions on the backline but is predominantly a full back, which is what we needed. I've seen a few comments online to say he was well regarded at Salford and some fans were sad to see him leave. Fingers crossed we can give him an opportunity and he takes it. 

That takes up to 22. Be nice to get a hooker or 2 and maybe one more versatile forward and we'd be looking good. 

Thomas, Walkely, DFJ, Graham, Downey, Sa'u, Ryder, Bishop, Miller, Stead, Dean, Parker, Ioane, Bailey, Hatton, Schofield, Maher, Lynam, Lanskey, Robson, Kesik, Brown.

Not someone I've heard of. Not sure of his experience although he should be well coached.

Big boots to fill at FB

Does anyone think realistically that our pack is big enough. Looks very lightweight to me even with a few more editions. You have to look at who you start with and then who you bring on to replace them. Think Ioane will have to do big minutes as we have nobody else that's anywhere near what he brings. Parker strong in Championship 1 but looked ordinary in the Championship. 

So short of props and by the looks of things now were starting to sign utility players. Top 4 definitely this season (only 8 teams) but will have to rely on play offs to go up which as we have all seen many times it's a lottery and boils down to how you play on the day.

Think Oldham will do what we did 2 seasons ago and go unbeaten 

On 01/11/2023 at 14:15, footlongsub said:

I like Will. It only seems to be Finny that doesn't rate him. Give him an environment to thrive in and you never know. 

He brought him in to Dewsbury on loan last season and played him in every game so he must rate him at C1 level.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

Does anyone think realistically that our pack is big enough. Looks very lightweight to me even with a few more editions. You have to look at who you start with and then who you bring on to replace them. Think Ioane will have to do big minutes as we have nobody else that's anywhere near what he brings. Parker strong in Championship 1 but looked ordinary in the Championship. 

So short of props and by the looks of things now were starting to sign utility players. Top 4 definitely this season (only 8 teams) but will have to rely on play offs to go up which as we have all seen many times it's a lottery and boils down to how you play on the day.

Think Oldham will do what we did 2 seasons ago and go unbeaten 

How do you think we are short on props and how many would you like?

Ioane, Hatton, Maher, Schofield, Parker and Bailey are all props. Lynam can play there too. I'd be surprised if we did bring another one in, unless it's a young lad from an academy maybe. There's also the chance Kyle Trout re-signs. That's more than we ever had last season.

3 of them mentioned above have never even played for the club, so let's maybe give them a chance before writing them off.

What's the issue with signing utility players? It's always useful to have a a few players that can play various positions. I think it's fairly standard and if anything coaches see it as a positive. 

Oldham have brought in plenty of signings. How impressive they turn out is yet to be seen, a lot are the wrong side of 30 and have had injury issues. I'm happy for them to be massive favourites, takes pressure off us and makes them the team everyone wants to beat. Personally, I think we will be right up there with them.

Not 100% sure how the IMG thing works with social media posts but I just looked on the Bradford Facebook page and they post more things in one day than we do all week.

I find Facebook so lacking in what's happening at the club. Usually one or two post when a signing is announced but apart from that very few things posted.

On 02/11/2023 at 20:42, Dovster said:

Not someone I've heard of. Not sure of his experience although he should be well coached.

Big boots to fill at FB

A product of the Welsh junior system. Came through as a half back but has matured into a full back or winger. Quick and fit as a fiddle. Half ok kicking game.

Above all else absolutely keen to learn and improve. He’s a top lad, look after him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

A product of the Welsh junior system. Came through as a half back but has matured into a full back or winger. Quick and fit as a fiddle. Half ok kicking game.

Above all else absolutely keen to learn and improve. He’s a top lad, look after him.

Can't wait to see how the likes of Walkley, Downey, Dean and Schofield go.

• Like 1