A look to 2024

Indigogo

A lot to still be decided this season and the uncertainty of which division we will be playing in must be impacting on retentions and recruitment.

Contracted for 2024

Junior Sa'u, Dee Foggin Johnstone, Lewis Young, Thomas Doyle, Brad Walker, Sadiq Adebiyi, Ellis Robson, Mark Ioane, Robbie Storey, Alix Stevenson, Lloyd Roby, Dan Parker. 

Out of contract at end of 2023

Mo Agoro, Charlie Graham, Harvey Spence, Ben Stead, Oscar Thomas, Jake Sweeting, Kyle Trout, Toby Everett, Kyle Kesik, Josh Lynam, Aiden Scully, Luca Atkinson, Billy Gaylor.

Loans ending

Kieran Rush, Jack Bibby, Matty Laidlaw, Joe Gibbons, Tom Nicholson-Watton

Even though contracted for 2024 I'm expecting Brad Walker, Thomas Doyle (Both rumoured to be joining Wakey) Lewis Young (Rumours he's going to Australia) Sadiq Adebiyi and Lloyd Roby all to leave. I'm hopeful we can keep hold of the remainder of those contracted.

Of those out of contract, I've heard that Mo Agoro is leaving and joining Oldham. I've also heard Spence could be leaving to go to Australia. I don't know if anyone else leaving for certain but of those out of contract it would be good if we could keep Graham, Trout, Kesik, Thomas, Lynam and Everett. The remainder I would be happy for them to move on. 

Obviously all of the loanees would return to their parent clubs at the end of the season. I've no idea if there's any chance of us signing any either permanently or on loan next season. I've been particularly impressed with Bibby and Nicholson-Watton and would welcome them back. Rush has been good too but I think a more experienced half back pairing would be beneficial next season.

If the above was somewhere close to being correct we'd have Sa'u, DFJ, Ioane, Robson, Storey, Stevenson, Parker, Graham, Trout, Kesik, Thomas, Lynam and Everett. 

That would be 12 current players staying with the club for next season, with DFJ already being announced for next season. This would mean we'd probably need to recruit another 13 to 15 to have a competitive squad. Whilst that's probably a higher turnover in players than you'd like, it does hopefully give Matt Foster scope to bring in players that will fit his systems and way of playing.

I have heard and read rumours that Jack Miller is coming back to the club and that we've signed Jarrod Sammut for next season. If both true that would likely be our half back pairing.

We would have some key spine positions to fill at Full back, Hooker and Loose Forward. We could also do with some prop forwards as 3 of the 5 loans were props. I'm hoping Foster has some connections and the funds available to bring some Aussies over! The club did tease of some exciting signings to come, so fingers crossed. 

Away from the squad, it's been announced today by Hunslet that Dean Muir will be their head coach for 2024. A great move for Dean, but does obviously mean another shuffle around in the coaching group for us next season. Again, maybe Foster brings someone he knows in to work with him.

Also, the main stand was supposed to be demolished after the last home game of the season. I'm presuming due to the lack of updates from the club, that we dont have the go ahead from Bradford Council in terms of planning. I can't see it happening this year if we don't get permission soon. Logistically there must be loads to sort out and you can't do that without having planning first. I hope I'm wrong but it would make the most sense. 

Edited by Indigogo
Typo

4 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Thank You Indi. I think that appears to be a very thorough, fair and honest assesment of where we are at.

I would also keep Agoro.

No probs! I have concerns that some of the other contracted players may also leave and if we don't retain some of those that are out of contract, we are moving into the realms of a completely new squad. I know we are discussing terms with Trout, Graham, Kesik, Lynam and Everett, but nothing has been agreed as far as I know. 

I would have also kept Agoro, I think he's had a really good offer from Oldham that we weren't willing to match, so fair play to him. Oldham seem to be recruiting well for next season with rumours of other champ players going their way.

10 hours ago, Indigogo said:

No probs! I have concerns that some of the other contracted players may also leave and if we don't retain some of those that are out of contract, we are moving into the realms of a completely new squad. I know we are discussing terms with Trout, Graham, Kesik, Lynam and Everett, but nothing has been agreed as far as I know. 

I would have also kept Agoro, I think he's had a really good offer from Oldham that we weren't willing to match, so fair play to him. Oldham seem to be recruiting well for next season with rumours of other champ players going their way.

As you say It is difficult to negotiate contracts until you know which league you are playing in. Some players may stick with the club on reduced terms in League 1 and others won't.

4 hours ago, Dovster said:

As you say It is difficult to negotiate contracts until you know which league you are playing in. Some players may stick with the club on reduced terms in League 1 and others won't.

Extremely difficult. Especially for the players we've signed this year. I can't imagine Robson, Ioane, Storey etc would want to play in League one. Fingers crossed we avoid the drop and then act quickly to retain and sign players. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the unthinkable has happened and we are back in L1 for 2024. I've mentioned it on another post that this will obviously impact on retention and recruitment, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Sa'u, Kesik and Foggin-Johnstone the only names announced for 2024. 

I think there will be a handful more that will stay from the current squad, but not sure on names. Other than that it'll be all new players, so I'd expect around 20 new signings if we are to have a squad of 25/26. It's an off season that Matt, Jake and Steve need to get right. The club had promised "Exciting Signings" - let hope this runs true.

3 hours ago, Dovster said:

Yes I can imagine that the vultures will be circling.

Although I'm disappointed with the way this season as gone - we do live to fight another day.

We certainly do, and it's not all doom and gloom. Hopefully Matt has the scope to bring in his own players. There's a re-build required and we need to get it right. Whilst the wage bill will be reduced i still think we will be one of the bigger spenders in League 1 and probably be able to out spend some of the lower end champ clubs (Dewsbury, Swinton, Haven, Barrow etc)

With the IMG protocols there's no point in clubs spending as much on players now and i'll think that will drive the cost of players down and make them more attainable in L1.

it should be an interesting off season!

Confirmed by the club that the following 8 players are leaving.

Lewis Young and Harvey Spence are both going to Australia.

Billy Gaylor joining another L1 side.

Jake Sweeting has joined Midlands.

Tommy Doyle has a Super League Contract. Be interesting to see where he goes, and good luck to him, I really think he can be SL level.

Alix Stephenson is taking time away from the game.

Lloyd Roby hasn't been kept on.

Mo Agoro leaving and reportedly joining Oldham.

I suspect there will more to leave and presume talks are on going with other players (Parker, Everett, Ioane, Adebiyi, Storey, Lynam, Trout, Graham, Thomas). I'd like to keep all of them but don't think that's possible whilst in L1. I think we might retain Ioane, Parker, Storey, Lynam, Everett & Thomas.

Other players such as Ben Stead, Luca Atkinson, Keenen Tomlinson, Aiden Scully can leave for me. I can't see them featuring much however I can see that we need squad players, so it may be that these are retained.

Brad Walker is contracted but the rumour is he's been paid off to leave. Be interesting to see where he goes, he's highly thought of but his performances this year have been highly disappointing especially for the money he was supposedly on.

Rumours are we've at least 10-12 new signings, with more being worked on, but I don't know of any names at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Dovster said:

It really is going to be a new look squad. It will probably need some time to gel.

Hopefully we'll have a few pre-season games to help.

It definitely is going to be new look squad, wouldn't be surprised if there was between 15 to 20 new faces (some completely new and some returning to the club!)

Matt Foster is flying back to Australia today and returning in December. By that time I think pre-season will already be underway so it will be interesting to see who will be on Matt's coaching team and taking pre season. Matt has a background in strength & conditioning and fitness, so I think they'll be a real emphasis on this within the new squad. (not that i think we were unfit at any point this season, but we did have a unusually high number of hamstring injuries)

I know Rhys Lovergrove wasn't a fan of pre-season friendlies, I don't think many Aussie coaches are. I do think they'll be more required this time round though!

An amalgamation of the Championship and League 1 competitions will be proposed next month following calls for just one league below Super League from next season. Rugby League Live can reveal that proposals will be put forward at the next council meeting on October 4th.

15 minutes ago, POR said:

An amalgamation of the Championship and League 1 competitions will be proposed next month following calls for just one league below Super League from next season. Rugby League Live can reveal that proposals will be put forward at the next council meeting on October 4th.

Very interesting and would cushion the blow of relegation fairly quickly 😂

18 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I suspect there will more to leave and presume talks are on going with other players (Parker, Everett, Ioane, Adebiyi, Storey, Lynam, Trout, Graham, Thomas). I'd like to keep all of them but don't think that's possible whilst in L1. I think we might retain Ioane, Parker, Storey, Lynam, Everett & Thomas.

Storey is definitely another leaver, not sure why he's not been announced along with these 8. Heard a few weeks ago that Ioane and Adebiyi were both staying but not sure if relegation has changed anything there.

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

It would certainly get the votes from the L1 teams. Not too sure about the top Ch teams though.

It will be interesting to see how this would work with 23 teams!

That's true D league 1 have tried to get this over the line before BUT it was always voted down by the championship  clubs and I'm sorry to say this proposal will probably go the same way

• Like 1

15 hours ago, POR said:

What happens with central funding? The championship teams get much more than league 1 clubs don't they?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

Storey is definitely another leaver, not sure why he's not been announced along with these 8. Heard a few weeks ago that Ioane and Adebiyi were both staying but not sure if relegation has changed anything there.

Yes I believe Storey is leaving as well looking at social media comments. I'm expecting Adebiyi, Trout, Walker, Everett, Graham, Storey, Scully and Atkinson to leave.

I have a suspicion that Ioane, Robson, Lynam, Thomas and maybe Stead will stay next season. Those coupled with Parker, Kesik and Sa'u already being announce will leave us with 8 players retained. We've already announced DFJ - so that would leave us with 9 players. As expected a big recruitment drive is required and with 15 (maybe more depending on squad size and if we will/wont use loan/DR next season) - I would expect a base of 25 is probably where we want to be then maybe use loans/DR/new signings as well.

• Like 1

I have been told oyu have signed Lewis Hatton who played for Widnes last year and Swinton before that 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway