Saint Helens - recommendations please

Feel like I've asked loads of these types of threads recently but they are always full of good advice so.....

1. We are staying Liverpool Rain Hill Premier inn so I will drive there and drop car about midday. Is there a bus to the stadium for the 3 miles or so? (My kids see it as a treat rather than the taxi!)

2. Any family friendly pub near ground for lunch people want to recommend? ( near being within sat a 20 minute or so walk). Conversely if we don't eat before (and eat stadium food) what is the best curry house for dinner later in Saint Helens?

3. Going to spend the next day in Liverpool before driving back. Spending most of the day there. Any recommendations for stuff to see/do? ( rest assured we will be packing stab vests) . Got kids of 12 and 10

I'll thank you all for a timely response 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Feel like I've asked loads of these types of threads recently but they are always full of good advice so.....

1. We are staying Liverpool Rain Hill Premier inn so I will drive there and drop car about midday. Is there a bus to the stadium for the 3 miles or so? (My kids see it as a treat rather than the taxi!)

2. Any family friendly pub near ground for lunch people want to recommend? ( near being within sat a 20 minute or so walk). Conversely if we don't eat before (and eat stadium food) what is the best curry house for dinner later in Saint Helens?

3. Going to spend the next day in Liverpool before driving back. Spending most of the day there. Any recommendations for stuff to see/do? ( rest assured we will be packing stab vests) . Got kids of 12 and 10

Carry on up the road to Warrington and I’ll give you some recommendations 😜

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Carry on up the road to Warrington and I’ll give you some recommendations 😜

I've personally been a few times over the years to Saints and Wire.....I'd say as towns they are equal ,😀

My kids first time to Saint Helens though.....they are looking forward most to seeing the Sipi Tau, the big Saint Helens head thing, the fact we will be eating out and the Premier Inn.....in that order. They probably won't pay much attention to the game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Think it’s the 10a bus you’ll want goes round the houses a bit. Goes to Liverpool on the return but as you are in Rainhill the train is the better option for that. You could get the train a couple of stops to Huyton then change from there to sthelens central. 

Best local pub to the ground is the cricketers but they don’t do much food bar pizzas and pies. A bit further out is the Turks head and Cowley Vaults who do good pub grub but is probably a good twenty minute walk out. Loads of curry houses to choose from round the train and bus station but I’d probably go to chans on north road for a Chinese. Which is actually the same end as the Turks and Cowley vaults. 

Liverpool one if you have to take the wife shopping.Where you’ll be able to see the Everton shop that they’ve cleverly named Everton 2 so the address is Everton 2 Liverpool one. Down to the water front where there’s loads to choose from plus Albert dock is always a good bet and if you’ve got time the Williamson tunnels and museums to see. If you were going on a Sunday I’d say  Baltic Market for an hour to get something to eat not sure how busy that will be on a Monday though. 

Edited by bobbruce
Realised you are going to Liverpool Monday not Sunday.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Think it’s the 10a bus you’ll want goes round the houses a bit. Goes to Liverpool on the return but as you are in Rainhill the train is the better option for that. You could get the train a couple of stops to Huyton then change from there to sthelens central. 

Best local pub to the ground is the cricketers but they don’t do much food bar pizzas and pies. A bit further out is the Turks head and Cowley Vaults who do good pub grub but is probably a good twenty minute walk out. Loads of curry houses to choose from round the train and bus station but I’d probably go to chains on north road for a Chinese. Which is actually the same end as the Turks and Cowley vaults. 

Liverpool one if you have to take the wife shopping.Where you’ll be able to see the Everton shop that they’ve cleverly named Everton 2 so the address is Everton 2 Liverpool one. Down to the water front where there’s loads to choose from plus Albert dock is always a good bet and if you’ve got time the Williamson tunnels and museums to see. As you are going on a Sunday I’d consider Baltic Market for an hour to get something to eat. 

Just to add to that seeing as you are staying in Rainhill the Blue Mango curry house is really good might be worth getting yourself back there after the match. 

54 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Best local pub to the ground is the cricketers but they don’t do much food bar pizzas and pies. A bit further out is the Turks head and Cowley Vaults who do good pub grub but is probably a good twenty minute walk out. Loads of curry houses to choose from round the train and bus station but I’d probably go to chans on north road for a Chinese. Which is actually the same end as the Turks and Cowley vaults. 

Liverpool one if you have to take the wife shopping.Where you’ll be able to see the Everton shop that they’ve cleverly named Everton 2 so the address is Everton 2 Liverpool one. Down to the water front where there’s loads to choose from plus Albert dock is always a good bet and if you’ve got time the Williamson tunnels and museums to see. If you were going on a Sunday I’d say  Baltic Market for an hour to get something to eat not sure how busy that will be on a Monday though. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Brilliant cheers Bob will look into the train. There will be no shopping but will go to the museum's! 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's one of the best cities in the UK, even assuming your kids have no interest in the wonderful architecture, or the Beatles or "pop music" (Beatles Story, "British Music Experience") or going to art galleries (Walker Gallery, Tate). Just get the bus or train to the Albert Dock and wander about. World Museum or Maritime Museum if it's raining. Ferry across the Mersey and back.  Way too much to do in a day. Mersey Tunnels, U-boat story, quirky quarter all good for kids of that age. No need for a stab vest either, particularly when you're coming from Luton 🙂

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Just about to book Cowley Vaults for an early lunch before match but it opens at 2om so going to have to be stadium food and Indian later (we don't like Chinese food but thanks for recommendation )

Kids are hoping for face painting at the ground so we want to get there early 

17 hours ago, JonM said:

It's one of the best cities in the UK, even assuming your kids have no interest in the wonderful architecture, or the Beatles or "pop music" (Beatles Story, "British Music Experience") or going to art galleries (Walker Gallery, Tate). Just get the bus or train to the Albert Dock and wander about. World Museum or Maritime Museum if it's raining. Ferry across the Mersey and back.  Way too much to do in a day. Mersey Tunnels, U-boat story, quirky quarter all good for kids of that age. No need for a stab vest either, particularly when you're coming from Luton 🙂

Going to do the ferry and the Albert Docks I think. Good reconditions thanks 

On 21/10/2023 at 13:14, bobbruce said:

We loved the Albert Docks and Liverpool museum ...great suggestion Bob thanks 

Kids were asking what is with all the padlocks on the chains....any ideas? 

Also this is where Richard and Judy was right?

Compress_20231024_081256_6070.jpg

• Like 1