Lebanon RL Elect New Board

I wish them every success in growing the game in Lebanon.

I await with bated breath the results of their endeavours. 

• Like 1

Lebanon are the outstanding outlier of a "heritage" team that has genuinely created a domestic game.

The fact that they keep plugging away despite economic crisis, regional political crisis and (seemingly constant) domestic political crisis is amazing.

Yet the IRL in their infinite wisdom (or is that infinitesimally small wisdom?) continue to push the likes of Scotland and South Africa as "full members" when they are more like "zombie members" - the corpse suddenly re-animates and comes shambling back into life when World Cup qualification rolls around but then disappears into the netherworld for the next few years.

Actually thinking about it like that, it would make for a good H.P. Lovecraft story - "The Rugby League Horror".

On 24/10/2023 at 21:01, MidlandsJohn said:

Lebanon are the outstanding outlier of a "heritage" team that has genuinely created a domestic game.

The fact that they keep plugging away despite economic crisis, regional political crisis and (seemingly constant) domestic political crisis is amazing.

Yet the IRL in their infinite wisdom (or is that infinitesimally small wisdom?) continue to push the likes of Scotland and South Africa as "full members" when they are more like "zombie members" - the corpse suddenly re-animates and comes shambling back into life when World Cup qualification rolls around but then disappears into the netherworld for the next few years.

Actually thinking about it like that, it would make for a good H.P. Lovecraft story - "The Rugby League Horror".

I’m quite close with the captain of South Africa, we talk regularly. They way they NOW work with the domestic and heritage arms of the organisation across the Indian Ocean is admirable. Credit to them. It didn’t used to be that way!

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I’m quite close with the captain of South Africa, we talk regularly. They way they NOW work with the domestic and heritage arms of the organisation across the Indian Ocean is admirable. Credit to them. It didn’t used to be that way!

I was glad to see that they have matches organised for Pretoria as well as Sydney this year.

Lebanon should be moved into Europe and invited to take part in any European cup going forward. It would be nice to see Lebanon play England or France at home but I don't think that will be possible in the near future. France would be the best bet due to their large diaspora.

When Lebanon were allowed entry into the 2000 WC it was on the proviso that a domestic league was set up on the back of their participation.

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

When Lebanon were allowed entry into the 2000 WC it was on the proviso that a domestic league was set up on the back of their participation.

I recall that the domestic competition was struggling to get going again post COVID - what is the situation now?

On 24/10/2023 at 12:31, Damien said:

I wish them all the best too. It must be incredibly difficult to try and develop the sport domestically.

Obviously, it's not half as difficult as it is in England.