1895 Cup - Dewsbury

Indigogo

3 pre season games are done with and we now move on to the competitive games.

Presuming Pickersgill, Kesik and Thomas are fit and available, I think the team will be something like the below.

Pickersgill, Graham, Ryder, Sa'u, Walkley, Thomas, Miller, Maher, Kesik, Ioane, Robson, Lanskey, Parker

Bench: Schofield, Hatton, Brown, Lynam

Stead, Downey, Dean, Lambourne, Bailey, Harlow-Stephenson all miss out. Bishop and Foggin-Johnstone longer term absentees. 

Arguably you could have Dean in for Thomas, Downey in for Walkley and Stead on the bench for Lynam but I think that 17 is our strongest available.

What does everyone else think?

I'm still coming to terms with who is who on the playing front as in who the new players are.

We look strong in the forwards but our wingers look a bit lightweight to me with the exception of Graham. If one of the centres get injured and Graham moves to there I think our wingers look very inexperienced but as I dont know too much about the new signings I might be wrong.

Will be interesting to see how Oldham go against Halifax next week.

3 minutes ago, Mr Hicks said:

I'm still coming to terms with who is who on the playing front as in who the new players are.

The names are on the shirts... plus I did see the new 2024 squad details had been updated on the website which looks very professional! 

21 hours ago, Indigogo said:

3 pre season games are done with and we now move on to the competitive games.

Presuming Pickersgill, Kesik and Thomas are fit and available, I think the team will be something like the below.

Pickersgill, Graham, Ryder, Sa'u, Walkley, Thomas, Miller, Maher, Kesik, Ioane, Robson, Lanskey, Parker

Bench: Schofield, Hatton, Brown, Lynam

Stead, Downey, Dean, Lambourne, Bailey, Harlow-Stephenson all miss out. Bishop and Foggin-Johnstone longer term absentees. 

Arguably you could have Dean in for Thomas, Downey in for Walkley and Stead on the bench for Lynam but I think that 17 is our strongest available.

What does everyone else think?

It is difficult to make an assessment after the 3 friendly's but I wouldn't argue with your team selection.

It will be interesting to see if Foster agrees.

I am really looking forward to this weeks game. It will be interesting to see how we compare to the Rams.

Hopefully we will get a good attendance.

5 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

We look strong in the forwards but our wingers look a bit lightweight to me with the exception of Graham. If one of the centres get injured and Graham moves to there I think our wingers look very inexperienced but as I dont know too much about the new signings I might be wrong.

Will be interesting to see how Oldham go against Halifax next week.

We do lack cover in the centres but anyone we bring in will have to be comfortable being a squad player as they're unlikely to be in ahead of Sa'u and Ryder. It's a shame Josh Martin returned to Australia without playing. 

5 hours ago, footlongsub said:

The names are on the shirts... plus I did see the new 2024 squad details had been updated on the website which looks very professional! 

I noticed that too. They look good, as do the match day social media pictures for when someone scores. 

36 minutes ago, Dovster said:

It is difficult to make an assessment after the 3 friendly's but I wouldn't argue with your team selection.

It will be interesting to see if Foster agrees.

I am really looking forward to this weeks game. It will be interesting to see how we compare to the Rams.

Hopefully we will get a good attendance.

I'm looking forward to it as well. It should provide a good yard stick for where we are. 

Hopefully the weather is more favourable and a few more show up now the games are competitive.

Bishop should be a quality player in League 1 as he was near to man of match every game he played last year in the Championship for Haven. The big problem was getting him on the pitch on a regular basis with his serious injury problems. Hope he has an injury free season for you as he is a very good player.

1 hour ago, Churchill Drivers said:

Bishop should be a quality player in League 1 as he was near to man of match every game he played last year in the Championship for Haven. The big problem was getting him on the pitch on a regular basis with his serious injury problems. Hope he has an injury free season for you as he is a very good player.

Fingers crossed we can get him fit and see him on the pitch regularly. I think he's back in training this week and hoping to be ready to play in a few weeks. I've not seen him play in person but there's a couple of good videos of him on YouTube, he certainly looks exciting and should be a top player in League One.

18 hours ago, Churchill Drivers said:

Whitehaven didn't have a physio most of last year so with proper treatment and rehabilitation he might have a fighting chance.

A great performance and the result followed. We looked very well coached and everyone knew their jobs. Our pack looked big and strong again and we have a 4 better props in Ioane, Hatton, Maher and Schofield, than we had in Championship last season, their is a slight concern that there will be a drop off if in quality if and when injuries arrive but until then, happy days.

I thought the young half Ben Dean was impressive today and didn't look out of place. 

Dewsbury looked ordinary, but maybe cause that's we made them look that way.

• Like 1

Wgat a great performance.

I have to admit I was slightly suprised by the score, We played better than I expected and Dewsbury were very poor.

Hard to pick a player of the match as the whole team played well.

Hopefully Walkley isn't too badly injured. The attendance was disappointing only 839 I believe. Anyway bring on the bulls

1 hour ago, Dovster said:

Wgat a great performance.

I have to admit I was slightly suprised by the score, We played better than I expected and Dewsbury were very poor.

Hard to pick a player of the match as the whole team played well.

Hopefully Walkley isn't too badly injured. The attendance was disappointing only 839 I believe. Anyway bring on the bulls

I thought we had a good chance of winning heading into the game but expected it to be much closer on the scoreboard. Truth be told we could have won by more. 

The attendance was disappointing, I expected at least 1200. Hopefully people get on board quickly, there's a good bunch of players and coaching staff that deserve supporting imo.

11 hours ago, Indigogo said:

I thought we had a good chance of winning heading into the game but expected it to be much closer on the scoreboard. Truth be told we could have won by more. 

The attendance was disappointing, I expected at least 1200. Hopefully people get on board quickly, there's a good bunch of players and coaching staff that deserve supporting imo.

I agree. I suppose some fans will need to be won over again and it might take a while for some to forgive the mistakes of last season.

I think Miller showed how much we missed him last year.

Personally I'm feeling very positive for the season ahead and think Foster is doing a great job.

1 hour ago, Dovster said:

I agree. I suppose some fans will need to be won over again and it might take a while for some to forgive the mistakes of last season.

I think Miller showed how much we missed him last year.

Personally I'm feeling very positive for the season ahead and think Foster is doing a great job.

Yes I think that will be the case. Winning always helps and there should be a good deal more than that this season. 

Miller controlled the game off the back of a dominant pack. It was great to watch.

Foster is doing a great job so far imo. We look well coached we are slowly getting better as he says in his interview each week. Long may it continue.

• Like 1