Bassetlaw Bulldogs ARLFC

More good news from East Markham-based Bassetlaw Bulldogs. The Nottinghamshire club's junior teams return to training this Saturday (24/2). Bulldogs tweet: "There’s a record number of kids already booked onto the session. We are expecting a crowd of nearly 70 kids. All ages and experience welcome to join the fun."

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, thanks for the plug!

Yes, we've worked really hard in the close season to recruit. We have a new Pups multi-skills group starting at the weekend, and have had a great response. We are back in schools now doing our work with after-school clubs, and only today, one local secondary school has agreed to modify their PE curriculum for the half-term so we can go and run some girls sessions in PE classes.

It's hard work, with much, much more yet to do, but we are steadily growing year in, year out.

Our Masters team is also up and running and we play Doncaster Toll Bar at home on 9th March to get the season going.

Not bad in 6 years, starting from absolutely nothing...

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2

On 22/02/2024 at 19:29, Northern Eel said:

Ah, thanks for the plug!

Yes, we've worked really hard in the close season to recruit. We have a new Pups multi-skills group starting at the weekend, and have had a great response. We are back in schools now doing our work with after-school clubs, and only today, one local secondary school has agreed to modify their PE curriculum for the half-term so we can go and run some girls sessions in PE classes.

It's hard work, with much, much more yet to do, but we are steadily growing year in, year out.

Our Masters team is also up and running and we play Doncaster Toll Bar at home on 9th March to get the season going.

Not bad in 6 years, starting from absolutely nothing...

I keep thinking about doing Masters again. I'm gold shorts now.

I've got a load of Masters kit going unused if you're interested. I'm only about 15 miles away.

• Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 hours ago, tim2 said:

I keep thinking about doing Masters again. I'm gold shorts now.

I've got a load of Masters kit going unused if you're interested. I'm only about 15 miles away.

Thank you. What gear do you have?

Come and have a run around. We’re always on the lookout for gold shorters. They’re invaluable in Masters. 

13 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Thank you. What gear do you have?

Come and have a run around. We’re always on the lookout for gold shorters. They’re invaluable in Masters. 

Shorts and tags of varying colour, and tags. I'll message you my email and number.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

What's the situation as regards local media in your part of the world? Are there any outlets where regular coverage could take you to another level, beyond word of mouth?

Joe Ashton and John Mann had quite high profiles as MP for the area. Aside from them, doubt whether I'd have heard of Bassetlaw until your club came along. 

It is limited to what we generate ourselves. Unfortunately, whilst the team is based in Bassetlaw, it crosses the consistency boundary into Newark. The Bassetlaw MP, Brendan Clarke-Smith is a Rhino's fan and often re-tweets our social media output, but Robert Jenrick, our actual MP is too posh for RL I think!

Here's our latest newspaper slot.

https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/bassetlaw-bulldogs-ready-for-new-rugby-league-season-4569980

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2024 at 19:17, Northern Eel said:

It is limited to what we generate ourselves. Unfortunately, whilst the team is based in Bassetlaw, it crosses the consistency boundary into Newark. The Bassetlaw MP, Brendan Clarke-Smith is a Rhino's fan and often re-tweets our social media output, but Robert Jenrick, our actual MP is too posh for RL I think!

Here's our latest newspaper slot.

https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/bassetlaw-bulldogs-ready-for-new-rugby-league-season-4569980

Maybe there'll be a new Bassetlaw MP soon. 95% chance in the latest polling.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 10:12, Hopping Mad said:

More good news from East Markham-based Bassetlaw Bulldogs. The Nottinghamshire club's junior teams return to training this Saturday (24/2). Bulldogs tweet: "There’s a record number of kids already booked onto the session. We are expecting a crowd of nearly 70 kids. All ages and experience welcome to join the fun."

• Like 2