NRL’s New Zealand strategy

Other than adding NZ2 to the competition at a future date what more could the NRL be doing in New Zealand in order to capitalise on and maximise even more the great crowds and media hype currently surrounding the warriors who are attracting great crowds not only Auckland but Christchurch, Hamilton and Napier?

I would suggest that the NRL should try to financially entice some of the 16 Australian based teams to take their “home” games against the warriors to cities and towns across the length and breadth of New Zealand other than Christchurch like wellington, Hamilton, Dunedin, Palmerston North, Napier and Tauranga etc.

Edited by going for the corner
  • Like 2

Manly took consecutive Warriors home games to Christchurch. Second time round, attendance was well down. Salutary warning against overreach. Local fans are aware that Aussie clubs have their own agenda.

Let the Warriors manage the momentum. They know the NZ market better than League Central. They don't try to milk the fans. Still offer great deals for families on matchday. While coining it on the corporate side. 

NRL have stuffed up, scheduling Warriors v Panthers as the Suncorp Magic round game for the second year in a row. Penrith haven't played in Auckland since 2019, before many of the current star names had broken out. Samoans in Auckland would be especially keen to see Luai and To'o in town for a big club game.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
punctuation
  • Like 1

Yes for some reason the NRL seem to like putting up the same clashes at Magic Round…its Manly v Broncos this year…i think thats three years in a row…..though you never tire of hammering the sea eagles.

I think a Magic Round could be successful in Auckland if priced right, but I don't see all the Australian teams agreeing to move it across the Tasman.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Manly took consecutive Warriors home games to Christchurch. Second time round, attendance was well down. Salutary warning against overreach. Local fans are aware that Aussie clubs have their own agenda.

Let the Warriors manage the momentum. They know the NZ market better than League Central. They don't try to milk the fans. Still offer great deals for families on matchday. While coining it on the corporate side. 

NRL have stuffed up, scheduling Warriors v Panthers as the Suncorp Magic round game for the second year in a row. Penrith haven't played in Auckland since 2019, before many of the current star names had broken out. Samoans in Auckland would be especially keen to see Luai and To'o in town for a big club game.

That’s why I mentioned spreading the games around to at least half a dozen cities/towns.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eal said:

I think a Magic Round could be successful in Auckland if priced right, but I don't see all the Australian teams agreeing to move it across the Tasman.

Depending on what the Olympic upgrades for Suncorp involve they could get their chance. They’ll have some competition though, even though I think they’d be the next best fit after Brisbane.

16 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Yes for some reason the NRL seem to like putting up the same clashes at Magic Round…its Manly v Broncos this year…i think thats three years in a row…..though you never tire of hammering the sea eagles.

I wouldn’t place a bet on Broncos doing that to the Sea Eagles this season, look a pretty well-balanced side with a sharp attack. Brooks should have made a move to a club where he could be a running #6 years ago. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Worzel said:

I wouldn’t place a bet on Broncos doing that to the Sea Eagles this season, look a pretty well-balanced side with a sharp attack. Brooks should have made a move to a club where he could be a running #6 years ago. 

Sea eagles are definitely this season’s dark horses.

6 minutes ago, Jparrish said:

Maybe a tad controversial, but I think a Eden Park should host the neutral leg of state of origin one year 

Already in talks according to this article.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/state-of-origin-2023-origin-to-be-played-in-new-zealand-2027-nrl-bosses-begin-negotiations-with-auckland-tourism-eden-park-news/news-story/633a25a0808df842e8a0e830e879ba0e