Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2010 squad numbers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FEV-KT87

FEV-KT87
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

1. Hardman
2. Saxton
3. Smeaton
4. Welham
5. Steel
6. Briggs
7. Kain
8. Morrison
9. Finn
10. Dickens
11. Dale
12. Grayshon
13. Field
14. Allan
15. Parker/Nandye
16. Manning
17. Tonks
18. Spears
19. Divorty
20. Lynch
21. Coady
22. Lee
23. Sheriffe
24. Marabe
25. Swift
26. Hardaker
27. Dobek
28. Carr
29. Williamson

some pleasant suprises in there Dobek gettin rewards for his hard work but Zak Hardaker at 26 suprises me a big vote of confidence for him....BIG things to come from him?
YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

29 players is a big squad. Last year we started out with just 23, although players were added throughout the season.

Of the 29 players, 15 played last season and 14 are new names. Such a big turnover of players seems the norm nowadays.

Surprising to think that of the 15 players who are repeating from last season, 10 players have changed their shirt number and only FIVE players have the same shirt number as they had last year.

I have to admit Im not much of a fan of squad numbers, it all seems a bit pointless tbh.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#3 Birchy

Birchy
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jan 23 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
29 players is a big squad. Last year we started out with just 23, although players were added throughout the season.

Of the 29 players, 15 played last season and 14 are new names. Such a big turnover of players seems the norm nowadays.

Surprising to think that of the 15 players who are repeating from last season, 10 players have changed their shirt number and only FIVE players have the same shirt number as they had last year.

I have to admit Im not much of a fan of squad numbers, it all seems a bit pointless tbh.

I think it seems sensible...a lot of new players and player squeezing into weird positions last year. this is the first real 'powel' squad. I expectd a big shuffle

UP THE ROVERS!

#4 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

I honestly do not think squad numbers are necessary in the Championship. Clubs have to go to the expense of putting names on shirts and have to purchase more playing shirts than are required. It is nothing to do with traditionalist, but if we want to bring new supporters into the game, how do we explain which numbers represent a position? A simple 1 - 13 plus subs is all I need.
To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#5 stuart56

stuart56
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jan 23 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One statistic you missed Mark which I think is important. The starting 13 only have 4 players who didn't feature last year. Lots of newcomers but also a lot of faith in the heart of last years team.
< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

#6 Rob Hemmi

Rob Hemmi
  • Coach
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

Some compitition from 9 to 25 eh?! Struggling to see who he'd leave out, dale, manning, graysion, spearsy, divorty, Allen, field, all top players! Good headache like biggrin.gif
Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

#7 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

we haven't had this luxury in years.
Hobbsy struggled to motivate some players in his squad. He couldn't drop anyone out of the team because there were few, if any, in the reserves to make the step up. i.e. little or no competition for places so some players could have the mornge on or put in half @rsed performances knowing their place in the team was assured!

Now, the club have assembled a good squad with a depth greater than i can remember in recent years! Keeps the mind focussed methinks.

Edited by Robin Evans, 24 January 2010 - 09:57 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Jan 23 2010, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree entirely, squad numbers are only required if the players' names are on the shirts (unless of course you get a new set done for every game). It must be a nightmare for stats! also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users