Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky to host a double header of Super League

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Aug 23 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not going to be the last game at KR so it's not the worst thing in the world.

Ah, but that's not the point.

The Cas game is almost 120 years to the day since the first fixture at Knowsley Road, Saints have been marketing the game quite heavily for the last few months and it would seem many people are travelling from far and wide to attend. Any other game, any other season, it would not have been an issue but Sky are not the favorites at the moment on Redvee.

On top of which, I think it very wrong that Saints and Warrington are playing on different days. Surely the drama on the Friday night is who will come second with neither team knowing quite what the outcome will be. As it is, Saints will kick off knowing exactly what they need to do to clinch 2nd place, not a very "fairplay" situation.

#42 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (foozler @ Aug 23 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of which, I think it very wrong that Saints and Warrington are playing on different days. Surely the drama on the Friday night is who will come second with neither team knowing quite what the outcome will be. As it is, Saints will kick off knowing exactly what they need to do to clinch 2nd place, not a very "fairplay" situation.

Now I agree with you there. The fixtures for that weekend should be:

Saturday 4:30 (Battle for 4th-6th)
Hull vs Leeds
Catalans vs Huddersfield

Saturday 6:45 (battle for 2nd and 8th)
Harlequins vs Warrington
Saints vs Castleford
Crusaders vs Hull KR

Posted Image

#43 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

Grrrr Bl**dy Sky TV !!!!!
I spent half of last night on the phone trying to rearrange my own stag do so we can all get back to St.Helens for the match and the future Mrs Toppy is really pi$$ed off as she can't rearrange her hen party as they're all going away and its all paid for, so she's going to miss it !!!

Warrington must be really pi$$ed off as well as this gives Saints a real advantage in knowing exactly what they need to do to get 2nd.

#44 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Quins were originally down to play on Saturday, but the match was shifted by the police due to the RU season opening double header on Saturday at Twickenham. This is typical of Sky, who shifted our game at Catalans at short notice last season after the travelling supporters had already paid for flights and accomodation and then tried to shift the blame onto the clubs.

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 24 August 2010 - 09:16 AM.

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Aug 24 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quins were originally down to play on Saturday, but the match was shifted by the police due to the RU season opening double header on Saturday at Twickenham. This is typical of Sky, who shifted our game at Catalans at short notice last season after the travelling supporters had already paid for flights and accomodation and then tried to shift the blame onto the clubs.

Wait, what does the police moving a game due to safety concerns have to do with sky?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Aug 23 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I agree with you there. The fixtures for that weekend should be:

Saturday 4:30 (Battle for 4th-6th)
Hull vs Leeds
Catalans vs Huddersfield

Saturday 6:45 (battle for 2nd and 8th)
Harlequins vs Warrington
Saints vs Castleford
Crusaders vs Hull KR

Unfortunately your Saturday schedule wouldn't work because of the restrictions in Twickenham on the Saturday.

Personally I would have had the Quins, Saints & Crusaders games all at the same time on the Sunday with a 3pm kick off, actually make that all last round games kick off same time, same day. The way things stand, not only do Saints have an unfair advantage knowing exactly how many points they need to score for 2nd spot, Warrington have almost another 24 hours of recovery time. That might be acceptable during the regular season which is after all the preliminary competition, but I think this unacceptable in the knock out part of the competition.

Saints had plenty of success earlier in the season with a Sunday kick off, Warrington fans would stand a chance of getting to the game without taking a day off work and those Hull KR fans wanting to make the trip along the M62 would have an easier time of it. As things stand the Sky & RFL have needlessly managed to cheese off both Warrington & Saints fans, and guarantee yet another meagre attendance at Quins on the Friday. This from an organisation (the RFL) which says clubs must do more to increase their crowds!

#47 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (The Bobster @ Aug 23 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am now well and truly ****ed off with Sky.

I missed the Crusaders game at Weekend because I had booked into Soughton Hall on Saturday, for a meal and an overnight stay, a treat for my wife more than anything, with the intention of going to the game on Sunday.

My Mum and Dad both mad keen Saints supporters have now retired to Spain. My Dad went to his first game at Knowsley Road in 1946 and wanted to be at the last league game. They fly in from Spain on the 2nd to watch the game. The return flights are at 19:40 on Saturday and guess who has to take them to the Airport!

Flights changed to Sunday at a cost of 68.00!!!!

Posted Image

#48 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi

Thank you for your email.

You can have a refund if you email me your contact number I will ring you to arrange the refund.

Sky can change game days if they give you enough notice.

Regards Christine

This was my blunt response from Saints this morning.
No sorry you feel this way. No explanation on there part of what they could do or have tried to do to stop the switch
PR really needs reassessing at the club

More disappointed now sad.gif

Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#49 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Aug 24 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was my blunt response from Saints this morning.
No sorry you feel this way. No explanation on there part of what they could do or have tried to do to stop the switch
PR really needs reassessing at the club

More disappointed now sad.gif

I can understand your disappointment, I have always found Christine to be very helpful in my dealings with her.

What her email suggests is that between them the senior management at the club are either all on vacation at the moment or fast asleep on the job and no-one has told her what to say to people like yourself.

As soon as they got the news of the change of day, they should have decided on how best to communicate this to disappointed fans contacting people like Christine in the ticket office. There should be a pre-written email from any one of the CEO, Managing Director, Marketing Director or Commercial Director explaining how disappointed the club is for its' fans, that the decision was out of their control and they will do whatever they can reasonably do to help fans inconvenienced by the change.

I believe it's called PR and I'm afraid that it's something Saints are not so great at compared to say Leeds. After all, they (Saints) do have an email contact list they could use for this.

#50 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 24 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait, what does the police moving a game due to safety concerns have to do with sky?

See the Wellsy4Hullfc post!

#51 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 24 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Warrington and Saints games should be played on the same day at the same time as they're battling for the same place. Because Sky have moved the Saints game to a time that Quins can't play at home against Warrington, then this cannot happen.

At least Crusaders kick off at the same time as Castleford, which to be fair there is more at stake on that one.
Posted Image

#52 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 24 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grrrr Bl**dy Sky TV !!!!!
I spent half of last night on the phone trying to rearrange my own stag do so we can all get back to St.Helens for the match and the future Mrs Toppy is really pi$$ed off as she can't rearrange her hen party as they're all going away and its all paid for, so she's going to miss it !!!

Warrington must be really pi$$ed off as well as this gives Saints a real advantage in knowing exactly what they need to do to get 2nd.

Saints already know what they have to do - win by a shedload - regardless of when Wire play.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#53 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Black Country Wire @ Aug 24 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints already know what they have to do - win by a shedload - regardless of when Wire play.

.................... but it's not in the spirit of the game.

Does anyone else think this is utter b0ll0x????

#54 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 24 2010, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.................... but it's not in the spirit of the game.

Does anyone else think this is utter b0ll0x????

I do. I've said so. Sky hold our game (and that includes our fans) in such low esteem that I would rather the RFL told them what to do with their money. Yes, I know the consequences of such an action, I am just fed up with being bent over and shafted without a by your leave.

As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong), RL is paid far less by Sky than games with comparable TV viewing figures or live action spectators. As long as the game is prepared to be a doormat, it will be treated as a doormat.

Rant over. I feel better now. It's almost time for my medicine. wink.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#55 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 24 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do. I've said so. Sky hold our game (and that includes our fans) in such low esteem that I would rather the RFL told them what to do with their money. Yes, I know the consequences of such an action, I am just fed up with being bent over and shafted without a by your leave.

As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong), RL is paid far less by Sky than games with comparable TV viewing figures or live action spectators. As long as the game is prepared to be a doormat, it will be treated as a doormat.

Rant over. I feel better now. It's almost time for my medicine. wink.gif

One thing SKY is RL and the RFL are an admin office.

#56 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

PMJ, get rid of that ridiculously large signature picture!
Posted Image

#57 Leaguesaint

Leaguesaint
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Feel sad for Saintsbird but its great news for me.

I can't get over from the Isle of Man for Friday night games, but was coming over on the Saturday morning anyway to visit family. Now I can go to the game too. Thought my last visit to Knowsley Road was going to be seeing them lose to Wigan at Easter.

#58 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Aug 24 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PMJ, get rid of that ridiculously large signature picture!

It's done boss, sorry boss.

It was to support fair play for saturday.

May the best team win.

#59 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 24 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's done boss, sorry boss.

It was to support fair play for saturday.

May the best team win.

Don't worry mate, we will wink.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#60 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 24 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry mate, we will wink.gif

Mr C

If its a fair game and a fair result and you win, i will be pleased for all Rhinos, I had may fun last year, a win this year would be a bouns.

Regards

Mr P

PS the trophy is all ours biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users