Photo
- - - - -

How may grounds have you been to which are of near 21st century standard?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

Just a bit of a twist on the old "how many grounds have you been to?" topics we've had in the past.

How many grounds in the northern hemisphere have you been to to watch rugby league which have a panoramic view of the playing field from at least one sideline stand, and which have decent toilet facilities (extensive urinals and sit down closed cubicles for men, and multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for women)?

I have been to most of those:

KC in Hull
DW in Wigan
Galpharm in Huddersfield
Gilbert Brutus in Perpignan
Ernest Wallon in Toulouse
Elland Road in Leeds
The Stoop in London
Twickenham in London
Wembley in London
Murrayfield in Edinburgh
Milllenium in Cardiff

The fact is that all of these other than Gilbert Brutus are dual use or triple use (football, rugby union, rugby league), with Wembley being multi use and Tickenham being primarily rugby union and Elland Road primarily soccer.

So of all the Super League clubs stadia only Gilbert Brutus is a dedicated rugby league stadium with modern facilities appropriate for the 21st century. It will be joined by the new St Helens stadium in 2012.

How many have a decent restaurant or seated cafes, as well as a large bars?

None for the general fan (DW and Galpharm have modern restaurant facilities for the special elite), Wembley and Twickenham for members, but Gilbert Brutus in 2011 and St Helens in 2012 will have modern restaurant and bars for all premium seated fans.

Alll of this shows how backward rugby league is in looking after their fans' convenience. Bravo only to Les Catalans and St Helens. Gentle pat on the back to Wigan, Hull FC, Huddersfield, Warrington and Harlequins. Shame on the rest.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

yawn
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yawn

Took the word right out of my mouth...........
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a bit of a twist on the old "how many grounds have you been to?" topics we've had in the past.

How many grounds in the northern hemisphere have you been to to watch rugby league which have a panoramic view from at least one sideline stand, and which have decent toilet facilities ((extensive urinals and sit down closed cubicles for men)?

I have been to most of those:

KC in Hull
DW in Wigan
Galpharm in Huddersfield
Gilbert Brutus in Perpignan
Ernest Wallon in Toulouse
Elland Road in Leeds
The Stoop in London
Twickenham in London
Wembley in London
Murrayfield in Edinburgh
Milllenium in Cardiff

The fact is that all of these other than Gilbert Brutus are dual use or triple use (football, rugby union, rugby league), with Wembley being multi use and Tickenham being primarily rugby union and Elland Road primarily soccer.

So of all the Super League clubs stadia only Gilbert Brutus is a dedicated rugby league stadium with modern facilities appropriate for the 21st century. It will be joined by the new St Helens stadium in 2012.

How many have a decent restaurant or seated cafes, as well as a large bars?

None for the general fan (DW and Galpharm have modern restaurant facilities for the special elite), Wembley and Twickenham for members, but Gilbert Brutus in 2011 and St Helens in 2012 will have modern restaurant and bars for all premium seated fans.

Alll of ths shows how backward rugby league is in looking after their fans' convenience. Bravo only to Les Catalans and St Helens. Shame on the rest.

You are Angela Powers and I claim my 5

#5 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Good to see the fans of Championship clubs --- present and future -- are so willing to yawn up. I guess that is why they will always be mere Championship club fans.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 31 July 2010 - 08:21 PM.

_____

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Jul 31 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took the word right out of my mouth...........

You are MeatLoaf and I claim my 5.

(How many 5 claims can we make in one thread?!)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

What this thread establishes is that Les Catalans and St Helens are the cutting edge clubs of 21st century quality for the consumer--- i.e. the rugby league fan.

_____

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

Most of the grounds you have been to do not hold regular rugby league games.

#9 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

I've been to the Rungrado May Day Stadium, and that my friend is what you call a damn stadium!

Watching rugby league with a sell-out crowd there on a Friday night is as good as it gets.

#10 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of the grounds you have been to do not hold regular rugby league games.

DW, KC and Galpharm do (they also hold other sports' events), and Gilbert Brutus does.

_____

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DW, KC and Galpharm do (they also hold other sports' events), and Gilbert Brutus does.

If you notice I said MOST not ALL

#12 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Panoramic view?
Roll me one will you....

Basic answer to your question,4.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#13 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you notice I said MOST not ALL

Fair point. But it reinforces the point of my original posting. Only Catalans and St Helens will soon be taking care of their fans in a modern and civilised manner. Perhaps Salford will join them with Barton in 2012 (I hope so).

Edited by ParisSurtout, 31 July 2010 - 08:45 PM.

_____

#14 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jul 31 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Panoramic view?
Roll me one will you....

I am referring to a panoramic view of the playing field. TV telecasters demand this for their viewers, and the more discerning fans have a right to demand it as well.

_____

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair point. But it reinforces the point of my original posting. Only Catalans and St Helens will soon be taking care of their fans in a modern and civilised manner. Perhaps Salford will join them with Barton in 2012 (I hope so).

So you'd rather judge a game for it's facilities rather than the product on the field, bad stadia and getting soaked are what Rugby League is all about, not prawn sandwiches and cafes.

#16 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you'd rather judge a game for it's facilities rather than the product on the field, bad stadia and getting soaked are what Rugby League is all about, not prawn sandwiches and cafes.

We already have a great product on the field. We need to have the fan facilities that so many Australians take for granted.

Nobody wants to get soaked, especially women and children. That is why the RFL is demanding a covered stadium as one criterion for SL license qualification

Edited by ParisSurtout, 31 July 2010 - 08:56 PM.

_____

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We already have a great product on the field. We need to have the fan facilities that so many Australians take for granted.

Nobody wants to get soaked, especially women and children. That is why the RFL is demanding a covered stadium as one criterion for SL license qualification

So why is it when I see the NRL on tv, most of the speccies look like drowned rats during a game, all wearing ponchos?

#18 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why is it when I see the NRL on tv, most of the speccies look like drowned rats during a game, all wearing ponchos?

Cos all their stadia bar the big Sydney multi stadia are ###### uncovered hovels

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#19 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 31 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cos all their stadia bar the big Sydney multi stadia are ###### uncovered hovels

So what is PS banging on about?

#20 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am referring to a panoramic view of the playing field. TV telecasters demand this for their viewers, and the more discerning fans have a right to demand it as well.

So define what your "panoramic" view is?

If it's a full unobstructed view of the entire playing area, no stantions (really big spelling query on that) in the way, or a nice view of the sky like new panoramic windscreens (yeah, they'll be safe if you roll the car...).

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users