Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tim Sheens says he would pick Gareth Ellis in the Australian team.

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Gixxer @ Sep 3 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're quite an ignorant ###### aren't you. Actually some of us are interested in what the Aussies think and know that some Aussies do have an interest in SL - like the millions of expats domiciled there. Unlike some UK amateur commentators who watch with envy from the sidelines and wish SL was as good. There are only two teams in SL that could ever be matched with the Aussies, Wigan and Warrington. Most other teams pale into insignificance besides the Aussies.

24 posts from you and you know me so well. wink.gif laugh.gif

Paris dribbles male genitals all the time, if it's your dad, get some kleenex and tug together.

You'll see in time, same old same old + IF's, But's and Maybe's

One thing ..... How can may opinion be ignorant???

#22 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 4 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until last year the only English player whom most Australian fans recognised was Adrian Morley.

I think that says more about aussies than the standard of English players.

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 4 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have summed up the issues well:

(1) 1976JWPwires is an ignorant ######,

(2) some people on here are interested in the reputation of English players in Australia.

Until last year the only English player whom most Australian fans recognised was Adrian Morley. Now we can add Ellis and Burgess to the mix. Before too long I hope there will be others. It is very good for enhancing the interest in the international game, and we need to promote more English players trying their hand in the NRL.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Summed the issue up well, what issue, your a c@ck.

Your all about 3 words :- IF BUT MAYBE.

Who gives a toss what the Aussie think of ENGLISH players?? (whatever colour they are wacko.gif as your other thread)

Maybe you and a hand full of others, so why i am ignorant.

What the Aussies think, do you really think it matters????? or England will produce superstar coz we have to beat the aussie.....ffs we have been trying to match them for hoooooooooooowwwwwww loooooonnnnggggggggg

Look at below

I think french RL is a joke, do they care what i think or say???

i think leeds are to$$ers, do they care??

i think wigan are 5hit houses

i think some warrington fans are ####

i think bradford need kicking out of SL

i think its funny is widnes don't get SL status.

opinions / thoughts / quotes................. does anyone care what i say or think ?????

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 04 September 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Wiltshire Rhino @ Sep 4 2010, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that says more about aussies than the standard of English players.

You beat me to it WR. A reflection of general Australian ignorance about the wider world beyond Sydney and Brisbane.

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 4 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You beat me to it WR. A reflection of general Australian ignorance about the wider world beyond Sydney and Brisbane.

If Super League can only sell itself to one commercial channel that puts 1 game to air at 12:30am on a Monday Morning (same time as the Challenge Cup Final) why is it Australian ignorance? That TV deal was trumpeted as a big success for the English game in Oz, it lasted on Sunday afternoons for around 5 weeks before the NRL game was shown before being taken off altogether then moved to past midnight Sunday.

The NRL gets 3 games a week on TV either live or slight delay and all games are shown on Foxtel, most live.
Why would Aussies be looking at what is happening in England, when all most see is retirees moving over here for a pension.

Surely its up to the English League to sell its product and produce a product that will attract interest.
Most Australians will not know much about Badminton, should they?
How much do you know about the "A League" from Australia?

Edited by AndyCapp, 04 September 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#26 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 4 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Super League can only sell itself to one commercial channel that puts 1 game to air at 12:30am on a Monday Morning (same time as the Challenge Cup Final) why is it Australian ignorance? That TV deal was trumpeted as a big success for the English game in Oz, it lasted on Sunday afternoons for around 5 weeks before the NRL game was shown before being taken off altogether then moved to past midnight Sunday.

The NRL gets 3 games a week on TV either live or slight delay and all games are shown on Foxtel, most live.
Why would Aussies be looking at what is happening in England, when all most see is retirees moving over here for a pension.

Surely its up to the English League to sell its product and produce a product that will attract interest.
Most Australians will not know much about Badminton, should they?
How much do you know about the "A League" from Australia?

Then that proves the point that the majority of Aussies are only interested in the NRL not rugby league as a whole. Don't they have any means of recording a TV signal in Australia? Don't they have the internet in Australia? Games in Australia happen when I'm in bed or at work yet I am familiar with their top players? Does that make me an anorak or just someone who is actually interested in the game rather than one competition? The ignorance used to be compounded when the Australian commentators would usually refer to GB as England. At least we've taken that option away from them.

Edited by deluded pom?, 04 September 2010 - 10:59 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 4 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then that proves the point that the majority of Aussies are only interested in the NRL not rugby league as a whole. Don't they have the internet in Australia? Games in Australia happen when I'm in bed or at work yet I am familiar with their top players? Does that make me an anorak or just someone who is actually interested in the game rather than one competition? The ignorance used to be compounded when the Australian commentators would usually refer to GB as England. At least we've taken that option away from them.

Maybe Australians get all they want from the game locally?

Do people that follow the Premier League have a wide knowledge of Australia A League Soccer/Football?

Do American Basketball followers know much about Basketball Leagues in other countries?
Etc Etc....

The Australians see the NRL as the premier game and do not get any coverage of the English game on TV or the Newspapers, should they be searching the Net to find out more about our game?
Which site streamed the Challenge Cup to Australia?

SL has positioned itself through lack of marketing and development as a secondary game that imports 1/3 of its players from the Southern Hemisphere of mediocre talent or over the odds wages. Why should the Aussies be scouring the Net to see what is going on?
All they see is a team that has only contested one Final series against them in recent memory only to be flogged by 30 points.

#28 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

During the telecast of West Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans, the commentators referred to Mark Flanagan as "the Englishman Mark Flanagan."

So Australians are interested in who are English players in the NRL.

If the Super League was shown at a reasonable hour in Australia, more Australians would be familiar with English rugby league players.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#29 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

The Australian newspaper Sun-Herald has named Sam Burgess and Gareth Ellis in its 2010 Team of the Year:

http://www.smh.com.a...0904-14v1l.html

_____

#30 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

The comment by Tim Sheens was probably made by him as a compliment. From the mouth of Phil Gould it comes over as incredibly condescending. It's almost as if we should be thankful that we have a player who, in their opinion, is good enough to grace the Australian team. Unfortunately for the Aussies, wishing that an Englishman could play for them shows up the fact that their supposed strength in depth isn't as good as they say it is.

#31 Gixxer

Gixxer
  • Coach
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 4 2010, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
24 posts from you and you know me so well. wink.gif laugh.gif

Paris dribbles male genitals all the time, if it's your dad, get some kleenex and tug together.

You'll see in time, same old same old + IF's, But's and Maybe's

One thing ..... How can may opinion be ignorant???

Oh, so because your a prolific contributor your more reasoned than anyone else!! all 3000+ posts of yours are probably in the same vein. I really don't need to 'know' you to know your just an abusive bully. Your attitude to this other guy stinks, It just so happens he is entitled to his opinion without being told by you that no-one else is interested in what he thinks or writes. Just because his view is superior to yours (and probably his intelligence too) your throwing a hissy fit. Grow up and get real.
Incidentally I have never met/spoke/communicated with Paris. You really should take some elocution lessons your grasp of nouns/pronouns/adjectives and split infinitives leaves a lot to be desired
2/10 must try harder

#32 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Gixxer @ Sep 4 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, so because your a prolific contributor your more reasoned than anyone else!! all 3000+ posts of yours are probably in the same vein. I really don't need to 'know' you to know your just an abusive bully. Your attitude to this other guy stinks, It just so happens he is entitled to his opinion without being told by you that no-one else is interested in what he thinks or writes. Just because his view is superior to yours (and probably his intelligence too) your throwing a hissy fit. Grow up and get real.
Incidentally I have never met/spoke/communicated with Paris. You really should take some elocution lessons your grasp of nouns/pronouns/adjectives and split infinitives leaves a lot to be desired
2/10 must try harder

Correct on every point, laugh.gif (including never having met/spoken/coomunicated with me).

_____

#33 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Gixxer @ Sep 4 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2/10 must try harder

you know me so well was taking the proverbial you silly person. (you haven't a clue how much rubbish paris posts)

BULLY.............. get real, far far from a Bully

His view is superior....... well put it on the Aussie forum for the w..kfeast to continue.

i don't need elocution lessons mate ( i do have dyslexia, so with no spell check i do struggle)

My attitude towards Paris stinks laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I respect everybodys opinions on here excpect his, its total and utter ###### in most of his posts.

IF, but or maybe................ I think he read to many enid blyton books as a kid. ohmy.gif

#34 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 5 2010, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct on every point, laugh.gif (including never having met/spoken/coomunicated with me).

Racist Paris has a mate.

#35 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 4 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Australian newspaper Sun-Herald has named Sam Burgess and Gareth Ellis in its 2010 Team of the Year:

http://www.smh.com.a...0904-14v1l.html

The fact that the Sun-Herald included both Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess in its NRL team of the year (17 players)shows that the high evaluation of these two English forwards goes far beyond Tim Sheens and Phil Gould.

_____

#36 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 5 2010, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that the Sun-Herald included both Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess in its NRL team of the year (17 players)shows that the high evaluation of these two English forwards goes far beyond Tim Sheens and Phil Gould.

Who cares?

Does the fact that some Aussie newspaper rates these two make England more likely to win the 4N?

Gould talks even more sh!te than you, and that's saying something.

Anyhow, I really didn't think racists would be tolerated on here.

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 4 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Australians get all they want from the game locally?

Do people that follow the Premier League have a wide knowledge of Australia A League Soccer/Football?

Do American Basketball followers know much about Basketball Leagues in other countries?
Etc Etc....

The Australians see the NRL as the premier game and do not get any coverage of the English game on TV or the Newspapers, should they be searching the Net to find out more about our game?
Which site streamed the Challenge Cup to Australia?

SL has positioned itself through lack of marketing and development as a secondary game that imports 1/3 of its players from the Southern Hemisphere of mediocre talent or over the odds wages. Why should the Aussies be scouring the Net to see what is going on?
All they see is a team that has only contested one Final series against them in recent memory only to be flogged by 30 points.

You've just pointed out that the NRL is the premier rugby league in the world. It's one of only two fully pro comps in the world. I'd expect the Aussies to at least have a passing interest in it. Plenty of Premiership football fans know about the Italian/German/Spanish league and their top players. It's not that difficult to find out info in this day and age IF you want to. You also pointed out that the SLE coverage was taken off after about five weeks. Is that because of the apathetic attitude of the average Australian rugby league fan who didn't bother to watch? By your own logic are the Aussies really well clued up on New Zealand domestic rugby league? After all they are the WC holders and have won the 3N and have also taken the Aussies close in a few finals recently. We'll agree to disagree on this one or we'll get nowhere.

Edited by deluded pom?, 05 September 2010 - 07:45 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 5 2010, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've just pointed out that the NRL is the premier rugby league in the world. It's one of only two fully pro comps in the world. I'd expect the Aussies to at least have a passing interest in it. Plenty of Premiership football fans know about the Italian/German/Spanish league and their top players. It's not that difficult to find out info in this day and age IF you want to. You also pointed out that the SLE coverage was taken off after about five weeks. Is that because of the apathetic attitude of the average Australian rugby league fan who didn't bother to watch? By your own logic are the Aussies really well clued up on New Zealand domestic rugby league? After all they are the WC holders and have won the 3N and have also taken the Aussies close in a few finals recently. We'll agree to disagree on this one or we'll get nowhere.

Maybe the channel that showed the SL games made a commercial decision that there was no interest? why was there no interest? You tell me.

Can you tell me about the Kiwi domestic League? How many players are selected from that League to play for New Zealand?

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 5 2010, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'll agree to disagree on this one or we'll get nowhere.

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

By my logic Aussies are comfortable with their local game and do not feel the need to see what England is doing.
Are they wrong?
There are couple of points to consider.
Young Australian fans know little about SL as there is no coverage of that League in Oz and they are saturated by the local game that they consider to be the pinnacle of the game (unlike the Premier League compared to Spain or Italy) different to your examples.
A better example would be an English Premier League fan knowing what is happening in Norway's League.
Lesser comps look up to the best at the Sport as the bench mark. The best do not really give a Rats whats below them.

Older NRL fans have never forgotten what happened in the SL Wars in Oz.
The decision by GB at that time will always stick in the neck of most Aussies.

Edited by AndyCapp, 05 September 2010 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users