League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Do we deserve to be in the National Papers?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Sep 18 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a simplistic argument and one that I dislike. Whilst the first RUWC was 'tinpot' it quickly caught on because there were a good core of sides that were competitive and could have hopes of winning it. Rugby League has never had this, we have 3 competitive sides and another 3/4 credible sides at a push.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a more regular and thought out World Cup but it's not as simple as put one on and it will work. Our problems run far deeper.

A good core competitive? Usual suspects normally winning ala RLWC.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#82 Brooky1

Brooky1
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

Does rugby league deserve more coverage in the national papers? Not on the evidence of the poorly attended games seen in this weekends 2 play off matches. If the play offs can not generate interest in rugby league towns then why on earth would peter in bodmin want to read about it. Perhaps the only point of interest to other sports fans would be the headscratching play off structure which would probably give them a bit of laugh.
18000 fans for 2 play off games is garbage. Compare that to the 25000 average crowd of norwich city for 3rd division football last season. How could any rugby league journo realistically ask his editor for more room in his paper.

#83 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

Perhaps the first thing to say is that the question is on its way to being a historical one any way. The printed media is on its way down the toilet at this point in history. Extinction beckons. RL should be thinking more about how it gets its face on the media of the future.
The current situation is, probably, based on the idea that a lie told often enough becomes the truth. I doubt that anyone really knows how many people will read a report on an RU game versus an RL game or indeed how many are actually interested. It is a perception that people will read the former more than the latter whereas people will probably read what ever you put in. If the RU/RL coverage in, say, The Independent were inverted to 1 column of the former and 4 pages of the latter then it would change the sales figure hardly at all. It would affect advertising very little I think. The Independent just hear the same lie as has always been told and hear it as the truth.
I think it takes a big incident (The Sun/Hillsborough/Merseyside) to make a big difference in sales of printed media these days and replacing Leicester v Wasps with Wigan v Hull KR just isn't that big an incident.

RL will outlast The Guardian, may be the last issue will include the thought that more RL coverage would have been a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users