Toulouse ground finally begins renovation

16 hours ago, langpark said:

A real shame, all that time and money for a 4000-capacity stadium, what's the point!?

If they are serious about playing in Super League and hosting international matches etc, it should have been a 10k minimum.

You have to take to account that the city council own these facilities not just for TOXIII and rugby league even though they have have played there for going on eighty years. This is the European model where the municpality build the stadia and then hire it out. Toulouse to me have got it right with stadiums of different sizes. Dragons same in Perpignan - where the council invested €7 million for the new stand behind the posts. But this particular facility with bars/restaurantand boutique has  enabled Catalans to grow substantially its turn over.

*In January the local soccer team from Canet will use Brutus for a French Cup tie. The decision to agree this -  is the council's ultimately.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, Mattrhino said:

But what did Catalan/St.Esteeve get in Elite 1 ? Wasn't much more.

I still think we should put Toulouse in SL with this new facility with a view to expand. What is better a brand new 5,000 stadium or a crumbling shed that fits 9,000 like Cas or Wakey.

At least it holds and fills 9000... Cant believe you actually believe what you typed

On 12/15/2017 at 7:41 AM, Mattrhino said:

I don't think some temporary tribunes would be too hard to put in to boost capacity.

Yes, they would. Look at the plans posted earlier in the thread, to bring it close to standard they would need a 6,000 capacity stand in the small area between the western end of the ground and the Avenue des Minimes. No way a temporary stand would be able to do that and I doubt even a permanent structure of acceptable size would fit in there. If TO make it to Super League they will not be playing at Arnaune, hopefully they do it by 2019 which would make this a very expensive renovation project for Toulouse Broncos.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎15 at 5:26 PM, Leyther_Matt said:

Surely they'd expect much better than that with a return to Minimes given a 2,154 average in 2017 playing at Blagnac, which presumably puts off a few potential fans given it's a bus journey out of city centre rather than tram or subway?

In the future, IF they access the Super League with the live TV coverage and the legions of -Hull KR- fans... YES. but right now, I would say that all the people who come do not necessarly live inside Toulouse, so the car would be needed for them anyway. but YES, it will be an advantage in the future to be right inside the city.

I did not know that the average was 2154, that is much better that what I thought.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2017 at 2:56 PM, audois said:

You got the feel that the local objectors wanted a quiet life and were against any real increase in capacity for the ground. Some had hoped for double what is now expected. I'm not quite sure of the status of Stade Ernest Wallon but Arnaune, Colomieres XV (11,000) and The Stadium (33,000) are I believe municipal faciilities. All of these grounds have staged rugby league games in recent times. This available/flexibility is decisive IMO to any TOXIII application to join the SL. Worth remembering the issues the Dragons faced too in year one back in 2006; they played Hull FC and Salford in Narbonne in front of 4,000 and less than that against Saints at Canet Village.

stade-toulousain1.jpg

Stade_Michel-Bendichou.jpg

StadiumToulouse3.JPG

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived