The NHS Strike

Cameron promised a 7 day NHS.  But he doesn't want to pay any extra for it.  The NHS has been starved of money under Cameron.  The doctors have had enough.  Many of them have already bailed for foreign shores.  Hunt should be sacked, then government can back down gracefully.  The NHS is in a mess.  This government has caused the mess.  Cameron has admitted that he had no idea what Lansley's "reforms" would mean.  But they've painted themselves into a corner.  Can anyone imagine a government so stupid as to alienate educated, sophisticated, graduates so much that they're prepared to go on all out strike.  This strike is political, it's been made so by the Tories.

The NHS was already on a 7 day basis. How has the NHS been starved of money? The budget for 2015/2016 was 116 billion, this is planned to rise to 133 Billion for 1920/21 half of that increase is planned for next financial. As for doctors already bailing out to foreign shores that has been happening for a few decades. People can talk all they want about reform and money but the biggest problem with the NHS is the UK population and that problem is likely to get worse. Like it or not whilst not being perfect the NHS is not in a mess, it is usually declared so by people wishing to make a political point.

Having said that I agree Hunt should go due to his behaviour having been appalling and arrogant.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liam Fox appears to have been doing some backtracking on the Daily Politics, the contract and dispute is not to give a full '7 day' NHS as many believe, as he says it doesn't cover elective care?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed Jeremy Hunt setting of for work on his bike this mornings news, I wish there had been a Taxi driver, who's son or daughter was a Doctor had just been down the road....

Whooo, Splat, "Sorry, Mate, Dint see ya"

I will call the ambulance, tomorrow.

After working for nearly 30 years in Theatres in the NHS & Private sectors, I have every sympathy with the Drs. They work long hours, they don't earn anywhere near £100k as someone on here posted, more like as a FY1, the most Junior, £24K, plus they have to pay back their student loans, find somewhere to live, eat, and travel to their 48 hour a week job, (that even the Labour government was trying to extend, Thank F for the EU who blocked it), try that in London. And as for wages, only once you become a consultant do you earn anywhere near £80k, depending on which part of the UK you live, but depending on where you live, and what kind of speciality you are in you could earn upwards of £300k+, however, they pay income tax of 50% on income of over £50k.

I knew an anaesthetist who refused to pay her Income Tax & was jailed (OK, 2 weeks), and she now just works in the private sector because of her conviction she is unemployable in the NHS. She is quite happy doing 4 days a week, and has a bank account in Cayman Islands, and one at Coutts (£1m deposit to open one) in the UK.

How many people on here has worked on Christmas Day/Night/New years eve night/Your childs birthday/ Been refused a holiday with you partner because you work together & that would leave the department short/ had a phone call from the nursery to ask when are you picking your child up, because we're closing & your partner is also still stuck in theatre?

Easter/Bank Holidays/Rugby League cup finals when you'd already bought the tickets?

Funerals?

I have on all of the above, at some stage, as do most Doctors.

Now BACK OFF

In related news homeopathic doctors have added their full support with an all out strike based on the fact that one of them who has since left the profession went on strike a couple of years ago.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived