Waste of Money?

SamG

Why is it a waste of money Sam??

If the Marketing of the 'competition' (as opposed to the club), sells the game and RL in the Northern Hemisphere to the wider British Public, raising it's profile, image and potentially gate receipts, will it not have been a success??

On this forum I've read many times about the value and necessity to market our competition and particularly our club!! This is exactly what the games management are doing and I don't see it as a waste of money. Particularly if it's not Fev's money they're wasting!!!!

It won't get me to watch it - but that's an entirely different argument.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I can see a value of marketing rugby league as a whole,but hey should be advertising the game as a whole, extolling the virtues of going down to support your local team.

If Leeds Rhinos cant sell enough tickets to fill a stadium in their own city, despite the amount of neutrals that may already be going, it should be up to them to advertise it as a club, not using RFL funds that should be for the good of all teams

It just really annoys me that so much money can be spent on advertising a one off game that means nothing, for a team that already has probably the biggest fan base in the country, for a game in their own back yard.

I can see a value of marketing rugby league as a whole,but hey should be advertising the game as a whole, extolling the virtues of going down to support your local team.

If Leeds Rhinos cant sell enough tickets to fill a stadium in their own city, despite the amount of neutrals that may already be going, it should be up to them to advertise it as a club, not using RFL funds that should be for the good of all teams

It just really annoys me that so much money can be spent on advertising a one off game that means nothing, for a team that already has probably the biggest fan base in the country, for a game in their own back yard.

I think its so rare you see rugby league advertised on tv, i would rather they spend the money on ventures like this then propping up welsh and london clubs.

UP THE ROVERS!

that's the part of the prize you get by winning the SL GF!! It's a show piece to a seasons opener like the charity cup final in footy! That's the gig. If wakey won the GF last year it would be them benefitting from the marketing.

It sells the game to the wider public giving RL exposure to the nation. That has got to by encouraging and may foster more enthusiasm for the game.

It's the RFL marketing a wider interest in RL by selling the competition! I don't necessarily agree that's a waste of money Sam. Particularly as it's not costing Fev owt s it's funded from the game - contributed to by those Leeds fans going to it!

Sadly, most folk in Fev aren't that bothered about Fev v Sheff regardless of how much marketing was put into the town. I saw someone in Sharlo with a Cas shirt on a few weeks ago. I could hardly have imagined that a few years ago!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

that's the part of the prize you get by winning the SL GF!! It's a show piece to a seasons opener like the charity cup final in footy! That's the gig. If wakey won the GF last year it would be them benefitting from the marketing.

It sells the game to the wider public giving RL exposure to the nation. That has got to by encouraging and may foster more enthusiasm for the game.

It's the RFL marketing a wider interest in RL by selling the competition! I don't necessarily agree that's a waste of money Sam. Particularly as it's not costing Fev owt s it's funded from the game - contributed to by those Leeds fans going to it!

Sadly, most folk in Fev aren't that bothered about Fev v Sheff regardless of how much marketing was put into the town. I saw someone in Sharlo with a Cas shirt on a few weeks ago. I could hardly have imagined that a few years ago!

Robin, regarding the C*s shirt in Sharlston, as with the wearing of the bhurka, I think they are just making a point.

Am i right in thinking the 1st ever game to be advertised on TV was Featherstone v Salford in the challege cup in 1973, another 1st for the Rovers and some 37 years ahead of our time

You are right Dave, we were the first. Also the first club to have shirt sponsorship and we also proposed Summer rugby many many years before Maurice Lindsay thought of it.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

While I agree with both sides of the argument, wouldn't it get greater exposure if matches were actually screened on ITV / BBC instead of $ky?

I know its all down to who pays the most, but the terrestrial channels cut down on some of the ###### they do screen, it would help pay for it.

The weak conform, the strong survive.