At least one Super League club to lose licence in 2011

Finally, I will raise a glass of bubbles when Widnes retain their deserved place at the top table next year. The criteria look perfectly designed for them.

Amen to that !

I will have a few Ciders when ( hopefully ) it is announced. I hope they televise the decision again, although i hated the outcome last time.

Also, i'm sure the Wire, Wigan and Saints Clubs will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of 2,000 Widnes fans making the trek to their Stadiums, instead of 100 Crusaders / London / Catalans fans.

Edited by Bomb Jack

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quins and Crusaders can count themselves really lucky that they serve a wider purpose to the game. Crusaders could be a focal point for the excellent development work being done elsewhere and could in time help support a Welsh national side. If Wales win the Euro cup thing this year, then they could go into the 4 Nations with a fair few genuine Welsh players next year. Who knows where RL in Wales could be in 5 years time.

Quins serve 2 useful purposes. They could act as a focal point and catalyst for some essential junior development away from the heartlands and they give us a southern presence, however tenuous.

The only basis on which clubs should be "invited" in is if they can acquire their own TV deal or show that they can pay for themselves. We have enough on our hands supporting Wales and the Quins.

I have written this 1000 times, but the instant we have more than 14 clubs with decent facilities this ridiculous anti-sporting franchise system must go. I can see it serving a purpose to get clubs to get their act together, but once that has been achieved we must go back to p and r or risk losing once great clubs who could be great again!!!

Finally, I will raise a glass of bubbles when Widnes retain their deserved place at the top table next year. The criteria look perfectly designed for them.

I agree about Wakey and Castleford, they just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which in essence sounds as ludicrous as it actually is.

They perform better than 3 current Super League sides but one looks likely to lose it's place purely because of geography and 'potential.'

Salford should count themselves extremely lucky, they have continually failed as a Super League club yet purely because of the promise of a new stadium in an RL struggling area they will lose out. Personally if it was up to me I would replace Salford and let them reapply when they actually have the new stadium if it such a certainty.

I don't think Toulouse can apply. Reading that statement it suggests to me that anybody currently in the Championship can only apply if they meet the above criteria. To give the RFL credit they cleared that up earlier in the year, they wouldn't risk the furore of including Toulouse after that.

I thought that also as soon as i read it......

I only hate it because I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but if I was an outsider I'd say it made Widnes look a shoe in.

The fact that they have put attendances that only Widnes meet says everything. It is a bit odd though because what is to stop Halifax or Barrow letting people in for free for their remaining games just to try and get it above that figure?

The RFL have been making guarantees for a long time about a Championship club coming up, they can't suddenly start adding extra stipulations to make sure one doesn't come up. If they weren't serious about a club coming up I suspect that they would have waited until announcements time.

Cant they? Looks like the already have done. The RFL previously said to apply you had to win the NRC or appear in the GF - now its that AND meet the things already posted.

Wakey and Bradford out.

Fax and Barrow in.

actually if halifax get in and then go on a run like huddersfield are having they would get bigger crowds by far than giants

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Cant they? Looks like the already have done. The RFL previously said to apply you had to win the NRC or appear in the GF - now its that AND meet the things already posted.

That's what I'm saying, they cannot add it on unless they are bringing a club up otherwise they surely open themselves up to legal action. You can't give clubs criteria a month before they can do something about it.

Out of interest Widnes' turnover last year was

Quins and Crusaders can count themselves really lucky that they serve a wider purpose to the game.

As do Salford, with the BBC move there

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

As do Salford, with the BBC move there

As I've said before, I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. Rugby League has clubs all over the greater manchester area, not least the biggest name in the british game, so what if one is on the doorstep of five live. They'll either warm to us or they wont, Salford wont make one iota of difference.

That's what I'm saying, they cannot add it on unless they are bringing a club up otherwise they surely open themselves up to legal action. You can't give clubs criteria a month before they can do something about it.

Out of interest Widnes' turnover last year was

Why? We have a club in London and the BBC virtually ignore them and everyone else. Why would they be bothered about Salford?

Considering they are a stones throw away from arguably the world's biggest sports club they will ignore them much the same as the people of Salford do.

Doubt it.

They never got over 5k in Super League despite finishing 3rd one year I think.

1996: Halifax 22-20 Bradford, Attendance: 7,187

1997: Halifax 26-30 Bradford, Attendance: 6,252

1998: Halifax 25-12 Bradford, Attendance: 8,566

1999: Halifax 20-34 Bradford, Attendance: 9,342

2000: Halifax 18-28 Bradford, Attendance: 9,827

2000: Halifax 20-20 Bradford, Attendance: 8,106

2000: Halifax 18-25 Bardford, Attendance: 8,244

2001: Halifax 18-68 Bradford, Attendance: 6,129

2001: Halifax 28-52 Bradford, Attendance: 8,393

2002: Halifax 8-25 Bradford, Attendance: 6,017

Halifax for mine offer bigger potential crowds than either Widnes or Barrow.

I know that I've just picked the Bradford games at Thrum Hall, The Shay but some of those crowd figures are amazing and IMHO could be matched once again with a successful Super League side.

1996: Halifax 22-20 Bradford, Attendance: 7,187

1997: Halifax 26-30 Bradford, Attendance: 6,252

1998: Halifax 25-12 Bradford, Attendance: 8,566

1999: Halifax 20-34 Bradford, Attendance: 9,342

2000: Halifax 18-28 Bradford, Attendance: 9,827

2000: Halifax 20-20 Bradford, Attendance: 8,106

2000: Halifax 18-25 Bardford, Attendance: 8,244

2001: Halifax 18-68 Bradford, Attendance: 6,129

2001: Halifax 28-52 Bradford, Attendance: 8,393

2002: Halifax 8-25 Bradford, Attendance: 6,017

Halifax for mine offer bigger potential crowds than either Widnes or Barrow.

I know that I've just picked the Bradford games at Thrum Hall, The Shay but some of those crowd figures are amazing and IMHO could be matched once again with a successful Super League side.

Taking only the Bradford crowd? During the super league era?

A bit....stupid isn't it?

Taking only the Bradford crowd? During the super league era?

A bit....stupid isn't it?

I'm just showing you all the potential that they have as a Super League club.

I'm just showing you all the potential that they have as a Super League club.

No you're not, you're using one of their traditional biggest crowds with no context or reference to their average, or their comparitive average in the championship, or any other factors.

I mean, Widnes could cherry pick our fixtures against Wire or Saints. Leigh could do the same with Wigan. Proves nothing. Our previous super league average, which takes into account games against the likes of Harlequins and Huddersfield who traditionally brought few fans to us, was bigger than a few of those crowds. That's our average. That's about as much as Halifax are ever going to get in super league.

I can't help but feel you are trolling by being deliberately misleading. It's not even well guarded, you're making yourself look stupid.

Halifax R.L.F.C.

2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003

Yearly Statistics

Year Name Pos Pld W L D F A Avg. Att. Pts

2003 Tetley's Rugby Super League IIX 12 28 1 27 0 372 1223 2,977 0

2002 Tetley's Bitter Super League VII 9 28 8 20 0 558 856 4,080 16

2001 Tetley's Bitter Super League VI 9 28 9 19 0 630 819 4,824 18

2000 Tetley's Bitter Super League V 8 28 11 16 1 664 703 5,714 23

Widnes Vikings

2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005

Yearly Statistics

2005 engage Super League X 11 28 6 21 1 598 1048 6,794 13

2004 Tetley's Rugby Super League IX 11 28 7 21 0 466 80 6,153 14

2003 Tetley's Rugby Super League IIX 9 28 12 15 1 640 727 6,511 25

2002 Tetley's Bitter Super League VII 7 28 14 13 1 590 716 6,510 29

Hurts me to say Mick, but Widnes offer lots more, not just a little bit, loads more

look at the average crowds.....massive difference

then the last bit is the pts in the league.......Fax one year sweet FA....we don't need any more YORKSHIRE clubs and the above is a MASSIVE reason why IMHO

No problem. Actually, I've been thinking and Salford also struggle on the Junior Development front as well. In fact, that's three boxes we either don't tick at all (attendance figures), haven't ticked yet (ground) or don't tick convincingly (Junior Development).

You'd be spot on they have overseen a dramatic fall in participation over the last decade Eccles who when I was a lad had 3 adult teams and juniors almost all the way down to U11's have now only got 1.5 teams even new teams that Salford set up are going to the wall with one adult team and one junior team that they created failing after less than 3 years

No you're not, you're using one of their traditional biggest crowds with no context or reference to their average, or their comparitive average in the championship, or any other factors.

I mean, Widnes could cherry pick our fixtures against Wire or Saints. Leigh could do the same with Wigan. Proves nothing. Our previous super league average, which takes into account games against the likes of Harlequins and Huddersfield who traditionally brought few fans to us, was bigger than a few of those crowds. That's our average. That's about as much as Halifax are ever going to get in super league.

I can't help but feel you are trolling by being deliberately misleading. It's not even well guarded, you're making yourself look stupid.

If you look at my reply it was to the silly answer that Halifax never got over 5,000 for a game back in 1998 when they did finish third.

They had over 8000 for the Bradford game and over 6000 for the visits of Hull Sharks and Wigan Warriors.

Halifax R.L.F.C.

2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003

Yearly Statistics

2003 Tetley's Rugby Super League IIX 12 28 1 27 0 372 1223 2,977 0

2002 Tetley's Bitter Super League VII 9 28 8 20 0 558 856 4,080 16

2001 Tetley's Bitter Super League VI 9 28 9 19 0 630 819 4,824 18

2000 Tetley's Bitter Super League V 8 28 11 16 1 664 703 5,714 23

Widnes Vikings

2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005

Yearly Statistics

2005 engage Super League X 11 28 6 21 1 598 1048 6,794 13

2004 Tetley's Rugby Super League IX 11 28 7 21 0 466 80 6,153 14

2003 Tetley's Rugby Super League IIX 9 28 12 15 1 640 727 6,511 25

2002 Tetley's Bitter Super League VII 7 28 14 13 1 590 716 6,510 29

Hurts me to say Mick, but Widnes offer lots more, not just a little bit, loads more

look at the average crowds.....massive difference

then the last bit is the pts in the league.......Fax one year sweet FA....we don't need any more YORKSHIRE clubs and the above is a MASSIVE reason why IMHO

Jesus wept I'm not pushing for Halifax to get into Super League Paul.

I was just replying to the post from Maximus Decimus when he said that "they never got over 5k in Super League despite finishing 3rd one year"

I hope Widnes do get in for 2012, there is too many clubs in West Yorkshire and I think Castleford or Wakefield will get the chop.