Licensing - Will the RFL Change the Goalposts?

chrisl1

On Radio Manchester's Rugby League Extra programme yesterday there was an interview with Nigel Wood. He was asked whether it would be one up and one down in respect of licensing and whether this could be changed. His reply was that there were "no plans to change it. (mumble mumble) At the end of the day we all live in a world where things change but we have no plans to change it." Given that we are only months away form the start of the licensing process you would have thought that he would have been more definitive in his reply. It's about 45.30 into the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p009s...tra_09_09_2010/

Edited by chrisl1

On Radio Manchester's Rugby League Extra programme yesterday there was an interview with Nigel Wood. He was asked whether it would be one up and one down in respect of licensing and whether this could be changed. His reply was that there were "no plans to change it. (mumble mumble) At the end of the day we all live in a world where things change but we have no plans to change it." Given that we are only months away form the start of the licensing process you would have thought that he would have been more definitive in his reply. It's about 45.30 into the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p009s...tra_09_09_2010/

It should be set in stone by now. It should be available for anyone to examine (I know some of it is).

His uncertainty was probably due to a few things. Firstly, any Championship club which wishes to do so may apply for a SL licence and one of them (everyone assumes it will be Widnes) will be granted a licence in March. So far, so easy - one up, one down. Now it gets murky. All SL clubs and any Championship clubs who wish to do so, may apply for a licence in April and the best 13 will be given a licence in May (I think it's May). This would still likely produce one up, one down, but not necessarily. At this point, the rfl could decide to give, say, Halifax, a licence and demote a second SL club. Then it gets really unclear. Any club outside the Championship (I think they mean in France!) can be invited to play in SL with a licence. A third SL club demoted?

So, is it one up and one down? Probably, but nobody knows.

AFAIK! ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

It should be set in stone by now. It should be available for anyone to examine (I know some of it is).

His uncertainty was probably due to a few things. Firstly, any Championship club which wishes to do so may apply for a SL licence and one of them (everyone assumes it will be Widnes) will be granted a licence in March. So far, so easy - one up, one down. Now it gets murky. All SL clubs and any Championship clubs who wish to do so, may apply for a licence in April and the best 13 will be given a licence in May (I think it's May). This would still likely produce one up, one down, but not necessarily. At this point, the rfl could decide to give, say, Halifax, a licence and demote a second SL club. Then it gets really unclear. Any club outside the Championship (I think they mean in France!) can be invited to play in SL with a licence. A third SL club demoted?

So, is it one up and one down? Probably, but nobody knows.

AFAIK! ;)

Confusing but correct. The things that are known are

1. One of the Championship clubs who meet the criteria laid down a couple of weeks ago will be awarded a license next March

2. There will be 14 SL clubs in 2012. That means only 13 additional clubs will be awarded a license.

3. These 13 could come from existing SL clubs, CC clubs who fail to get the automatic slot or new clubs with enough money who get enough "license points".

I think. Reality is that 99% chance it will be Widnes instead of one of the existing vulnerable SL clubs. Toulouse are the joker in the pack, but I think they would have had a better chance if Quins had gone belly up or Crusaders had failed.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

His reticence may be based on the fact that the process hasn't been completed and the fL may have to take into account the fact that one or more clubs may be about to go #### up which could affect the whole process.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

His reticence may be based on the fact that the process hasn't been completed and the fL may have to take into account the fact that one or more clubs may be about to go #### up which could affect the whole process.

The process should be set in stone irrespective of what happens to individual clubs. What happens to a club should not do anything othet than possibly alter the grading it receives. You either have fixed conditions of entry or you don't.

Edited by StevieM13