Whisky

• 2 months later...

Blast from the past.

Last night I was watching a TV show and something reminded me of an old whisky.

My Dad had a Scots mate who favoured "Stewarts Cream of the Barley"

On my 17th Birthday eve ( which happens to be Hogmanay) his son and I got very very drunk on the Cream of the Barley.

So drunk that I was put to bed with my Mother shouting at me " your not 18 until next year and you are going to work tomorrow" ( in those days New Years Day was a normal working day in Coventry)

My Uncle, her Brother came to my rescue. " He's not, I will look after him"

Next morning he duly arrived and took me out first footing around the mining village. Every one agreed that I needed the " Hair of the Dog" and as it was whisky that would be the sovereign remedy to fix me up. Consequently, by tea time I was as drunk as I had been the night before!

As it happens the next day was a Saturday. Unfortunately, Saturday mornings were part of my working week so I failed to light again!. I'm sure I would have been in trouble but I must have got away with it.

I see that Stewarts Cream of the Barley is no longer available and its a shame as I would like to try it for old time sake.

It certainly never put me off having a wee dram.

Note.

Thinking about the above I was thinking that I have posted this before on here. In fact I posted t a few years ago on this very thread. 

It's funny how one's memory plays tricks.

In the original post I stated it was Teachers that got me going. The more I think about it, it was Stewarts. I also stated it was my 16th birthday. It wasn't, it was my 17th birthday eve.

Apologies from a doddery old man.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

I had a look at my local Sainsbury's whisky selection this afternoon, and they are doing some big discounts for Nectar card holders.

I'm not saying the claimed "full" prices are exactly what they were before the promotion, but the discounts are very real indeed, with big name single malt prices slashed to the high £20s/low £30s.

So I am now back home, looking at a bottle of Laphroaig Oak Select that I bought £12 cheaper than list price.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 15:33, Futtocks said:

I had a look at my local Sainsbury's whisky selection this afternoon, and they are doing some big discounts for Nectar card holders.

I'm not saying the claimed "full" prices are exactly what they were before the promotion, but the discounts are very real indeed, with big name single malt prices slashed to the high £20s/low £30s.

So I am now back home, looking at a bottle of Laphroaig Oak Select that I bought £12 cheaper than list price.

I just went back and got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair too - not such a big discount as the Laphroaig, but still a worthwhile amount off.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Going for a change of pace from the peaty Lagavulin 16 year old.

Just having a wee dram of Glenmorangie 18 year old with a large ice ball.

Honeyed classic Speyside taste to help steer me through the darker months.

Bought it a while ago and it has increased in price but I don’t buy to collect, but to enjoy.

(Sorry if I’m tempting anyone going through a dry January but my Christmas involved lots of driving duties so I missed out during the festive season.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just back from Sainsbury's with a bottle of Penderyn, a Welsh single malt that's probably closest to a Speyside in taste. The regular price was £40, but the Nectar price was £27. Nice!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson