Storing Your Programme collection

I was thinking about this, because my 2,500 programmes are mostly in ikea cardboard boxes in the spare room. They are not easy for access and take up a fair bit of space. I'd like to do something different but Im not sure what.

Ive seen photos of very impressive collections on this football site...

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

with bookcases full of binders and special plastic wallets for storage.

How do you store you collection?

What would you like to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Staples do a great selection of coloured binders and the inserts are all different sizes A4, A5 etc so you can pick and mix.

I did try ordering bespoke binders at £22 each!!!! but after 5 months they still hadn't been made so spent a fraction of that at Staples on a few binders for my Liverpool City collection.

With difficulty!

A few years ago I had a cupboard made with strengthened shelves to house my collection.  I had it measured out to fit the boxes that stored my collection at the time, but as the collection has now out grown the cupboard it has spilled into other places! (In hindsight I wish I had not been too precise with my measurements and allowed room for growth.)

I use a combination of plastic boxes (Really useful storage box brand – in different sizes) and cardboard boxes originally bought from Muji and Paperchase.  I keep some of the rarer and older items in display folders – make sure the plastic is archive friendly – on a book shelf.

At one stage I had thought about moving all the programmes into display folders but they do take up far more space than storage boxes.

I also have photographs within ring binders so I can easily add photos and keep them in some kind of date order.  Older photos from newspapers are kept in postal tubes.

Stats, newspaper reports, newspaper cuttings etc. are currently kept in plastic sleeves (one per season) in a series of Muji boxes but I have thinking of moving these into ring binders – my preferred brand is ‘ergogrip’ which comes with a ‘unique looking mechanism’ which means that the wallets don’t fall out every time you open the binder!

I also have a number of shirts which are folded up and stored in my wardrobe and a collection of ties which are currently in a shoe box.

I have had one or two items framed – mainly to preserve them – as I have no wall space to actually display them, so they are currently behind the cupboard.

A bit of a mish-mash and it is not perfect but in the close to forty years I have been collecting I have found there is no perfect storage solution – although I am still looking!

With difficulty!

A few years ago I had a cupboard made with strengthened shelves to house my collection.  I had it measured out to fit the boxes that stored my collection at the time, but as the collection has now out grown the cupboard it has spilled into other places! (In hindsight I wish I had not been too precise with my measurements and allowed room for growth.)

I use a combination of plastic boxes (Really useful storage box brand – in different sizes) and cardboard boxes originally bought from Muji and Paperchase.  I keep some of the rarer and older items in display folders – make sure the plastic is archive friendly – on a book shelf.

At one stage I had thought about moving all the programmes into display folders but they do take up far more space than storage boxes.

I also have photographs within ring binders so I can easily add photos and keep them in some kind of date order.  Older photos from newspapers are kept in postal tubes.

Stats, newspaper reports, newspaper cuttings etc. are currently kept in plastic sleeves (one per season) in a series of Muji boxes but I have thinking of moving these into ring binders – my preferred brand is ‘ergogrip’ which comes with a ‘unique looking mechanism’ which means that the wallets don’t fall out every time you open the binder!

I also have a number of shirts which are folded up and stored in my wardrobe and a collection of ties which are currently in a shoe box.

I have had one or two items framed – mainly to preserve them – as I have no wall space to actually display them, so they are currently behind the cupboard.

A bit of a mish-mash and it is not perfect but in the close to forty years I have been collecting I have found there is no perfect storage solution – although I am still looking!

Have you thought of calling a halt o it ??? I did in 1993 simply because of storage not to mention price of the then curret programmes , if you store one seasons worth of programmes now in the same space you can store 10 seasons worth of 1940 & 1950's not to mention 1960.s and 1970's . . . However in the 1980's thats when they started to get daft

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Have you thought of calling a halt o it ??? I did in 1993 simply because of storage not to mention price of the then curret programmes , if you store one seasons worth of programmes now in the same space you can store 10 seasons worth of 1940 & 1950's not to mention 1960.s and 1970's . . . However in the 1980's thats when they started to get daft

My club is now actually defunct so there will never be any new programmes but I continue to fill the gaps from previous seasons. 

I also act as the unofficial club historian and archivisit and write a monthly newsletter about the club in which I use items from my collection. 

I still go to a game a week - I watch different teams around the county/country and I still pick up a programme from these games. I have thought many times about stopping buying from these games and disposing of these 'non-core' programmes but it doesn't feel right!

Hi Tim , do you work for the secret service or MI5/MI6 as you dont give us any clue as to what team you are talking about ???? , not to mention that 139 people who have looked at your profile ( after only 9 post's ) are unable to tell what gender you are , how old you are, where you live ( which town, i dont need your house number . . . lol . . )

Its amazing that 139 people have viewd your profile after only 9 post's, ive not seen the first 8 but they must have been very interesting indeed.......... ;) 

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Hi Tim , do you work for the secret service or MI5/MI6 as you dont give us any clue as to what team you are talking about ???? , not to mention that 139 people who have looked at your profile ( after only 9 post's ) are unable to tell what gender you are , how old you are, where you live ( which town, i dont need your house number . . . lol . . )

Its amazing that 139 people have viewd your profile after only 9 post's, ive not seen the first 8 but they must have been very interesting indeed.......... ;)

I’ve no idea who Tim is.   :scratchhead:

However I introduced myself  :hi:in http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/265755-what-exactly-do-you-collect/page-2

Archived