Ireland rugby league (team, competition and potential)

hi folks ...want to start this up as I feel Ireland/Irish rugby league needs more attention and direction in where it's going .....would love to see a domestic /rep side in championship 1 ..is this a reality ????why not ...Ireland and its youngsters are brought up on a diet of Gaelic games and its roughness /toughness/hand eye coordination makes them in turn a great "prospect" or "potentially" a starting ground /nursery for the further development of rugby league and its quest to expand and sell the game to the masses ..feel you've an opinion on this subject ,,,share it here

An Cabhán abú!

I think one of the potential advantages you've listed is actually the biggest weakness for Ireland in terms of introducing rugby league. We already have a fast paced, physical game with deep roots in rural and working class communities - Gaelic Football. The "market" is captured so to speak.

Irish Rugby Union fans will never turn to league for the same reason they won't in England - the game's grassroots is still small, middle class and private schooled and the fair weather fans who will likely lose interest once Ireland start being rubbish again are primarily soccer/GAA fans first, who follow rugby only because Ireland are successful (something unlikely to be recreated by Ireland's RL team).

With all due respect to the people who work so hard to promote the game here, awareness of RL really is minimal and the country is saturated with sports. I often see Ireland grouped with Scotland and Wales as target countries for expansion but unfortunately I think Ireland must be one of the most difficult countries in the world in which to introduce a new sport. If the AFL can't generate much interest here with all it's links to the GAA, I'm very pessimistic about RL's chances.

An Cabhán abú!

I think one of the potential advantages you've listed is actually the biggest weakness for Ireland in terms of introducing rugby league. We already have a fast paced, physical game with deep roots in rural and working class communities - Gaelic Football. The "market" is captured so to speak.

Irish Rugby Union fans will never turn to league for the same reason they won't in England - the game's grassroots is still small, middle class and private schooled and the fair weather fans who will likely lose interest once Ireland start being rubbish again are primarily soccer/GAA fans first, who follow rugby only because Ireland are successful (something unlikely to be recreated by Ireland's RL team).

With all due respect to the people who work so hard to promote the game here, awareness of RL really is minimal and the country is saturated with sports. I often see Ireland grouped with Scotland and Wales as target countries for expansion but unfortunately I think Ireland must be one of the most difficult countries in the world in which to introduce a new sport. If the AFL can't generate much interest here with all it's links to the GAA, I'm very pessimistic about RL's chances.

Does GAA play over summer? That could be a factor in attracting players/interest.

Here's one for ya damp squib.....up to 20yrs ago ..no one played rugby league in Ireland..now there's an u19 North vs south origin competition...also schools in Drogheda Belfast and Dublin have played the game in last two years ..at the recent south origin trials there was 75 at it (I know I'm involved)...also vs France this year we nearly broke 2 k attendance vs France ...all significant milestones..also ...as rugby league is a summer game and domestic leagues are quite short but well organised union players are becoming more attracted to the sport ..(at our recent club training session we had 19 training )...All rugby league needs on Ireland is a page in the paper and a couple of words on the local radio station...which will beef up interest in clubs

Evil homer in Ireland gaa is top honcho ..but league can sneak in and gain foothold if directed right ...without a shadow of a doubt we could facilitate a champ 1 club..we'd definitely manage a 500/700 attendance each week ...but and I mean but ...we would need a suitable ground /facility ...

Farm duck my apologies ...yes we can easily sustain a champ 1 club ..we also have the talent to be more than a South Wales scorpions ..I could pick a domestic team now that would beat sw scorpions...from next year I hope to have set up an underage /development team to play English u19 and French u19 club sides to showcase our talent ..but we reall y need help ...and by help I don't mean thousands or millions in funding ,but more along the lines of games vs English teams to generate interest ...interest is the major stumbling block

Dublin's a big city - a Champ 1 club could easily exist and progress there with the right support. Limerick maybe too given the existing rugby base - there were a few thousand out for the WC match after all.

Agree with most of what has been said.

There are tons of Irish men that have the physicality, mentality and basic ball handling skills that are perfect for rugby league.

How to get more people playing the game is the tricky bit.

The GAA club season in most counties is from around April-Late August / Early September. So some sort of league comp from September-Feb/March would be the best bet imo.

Re: Semi-Pro team- I think that should wait for now, and build up the grass roots first.

Agree with most of what has been said.

There are tons of Irish men that have the physicality, mentality and basic ball handling skills that are perfect for rugby league.

How to get more people playing the game is the tricky bit.

The GAA club season in most counties is from around April-Late August / Early September. So some sort of league comp from September-Feb/March would be the best bet imo.

Re: Semi-Pro team- I think that should wait for now, and build up the grass roots first.

...the Moore input the better...what's the average funding needed for a champ1 team add the fact that we'd travel every 2nd week for games ..250k ....in and close to that I'd say ...ok so we'd need a breakdown of finances...sponsor of around 50k a year or couple of sponsors to in and around that amount...average attendance say 600 at 10 entry ..6k plus by 12=75......plus on day miscellaneous sales plus advertisement sponsorship -match day programs etc...we could realistically have a 120/150 k a year funding...now all we need is players ..check....venue.??????

Tallaght stadium is the perfect venue...or home....I'm sure the local council would be accommodating ?????or a rugby club with a suitable stadium /ground....we have the players all we need is a home and a dedicated bunch of workers

Anmhiabu - I hope you don't think I was trying to denigrate your efforts because I have nothing but admiration for people trying to spread the game. I am aware of the progress that has been made over the last few years and it is commendable (the groupon deal for the internationals was inspired - free publicity!)

However....

You asked for opinions on the potential for RL development in Ireland and in my view that potential is very limited compared to similar sized target countries like Scotland and Wales where soccer and RU are the only rivals. In contrast, Ireland has four major team ball sports. Soccer - the global behemoth; RU - the darling of the establishment, media and middle class; Gaelic Football and Hurling - national sports, deeply rooted in Irish history and culture. As I mentioned already, the AFL have failed to make any significant inroads into the Irish sporting landscape. This is in spite of a general awareness of the game among most Irish people, regular compromise rules international tests on FTA TV, numerous successful Irish converts to the code (including several legends of the game), semi-regular coverage in the media and a genuine professional pathway for GAA players. RL has none of these.

Targeting off-season RU players is no doubt an effective way of increasing participation in the short-term, but it will do nothing to increase awareness of RL among GAA players. In fact it creates the impression that RL is a sub-sport of RU, on a par with Rugby 7s. Also as mentioned above, the GAA season runs from around April to October, but many teams will start training in January or even earlier so in reality it's often a 10 month season. Last but not least, GAA clubs can often have a cult like grip on towns in Ireland, and they don't take kindly to new sports muscling in on their territory.

I'm sorry for the negativity but Rugby League has so few resources that I think we need to be brutally honest about the potential of the expansion areas we target.

Anmhiabu - I hope you don't think I was trying to denigrate your efforts because I have nothing but admiration for people trying to spread the game. I am aware of the progress that has been made over the last few years and it is commendable (the groupon deal for the internationals was inspired - free publicity!)

However....

You asked for opinions on the potential for RL development in Ireland and in my view that potential is very limited compared to similar sized target countries like Scotland and Wales where soccer and RU are the only rivals. In contrast, Ireland has four major team ball sports. Soccer - the global behemoth; RU - the darling of the establishment, media and middle class; Gaelic Football and Hurling - national sports, deeply rooted in Irish history and culture. As I mentioned already, the AFL have failed to make any significant inroads into the Irish sporting landscape. This is in spite of a general awareness of the game among most Irish people, regular compromise rules international tests on FTA TV, numerous successful Irish converts to the code (including several legends of the game), semi-regular coverage in the media and a genuine professional pathway for GAA players. RL has none of these.

Targeting off-season RU players is no doubt an effective way of increasing participation in the short-term, but it will do nothing to increase awareness of RL among GAA players. In fact it creates the impression that RL is a sub-sport of RU, on a par with Rugby 7s. Also as mentioned above, the GAA season runs from around April to October, but many teams will start training in January or even earlier so in reality it's often a 10 month season. Last but not least, GAA clubs can often have a cult like grip on towns in Ireland, and they don't take kindly to new sports muscling in on their territory.

I'm sorry for the negativity but Rugby League has so few resources that I think we need to be brutally honest about the potential of the expansion areas we target.

...not at all mate

God blesses lads getting any new team sport off the ground in the auld country would be a hard ask. 

I'm not sure English people can grasp how powerfully the GAA really are in Ireland. In various parts, a lot of rural parts of Ireland, it's Gaelic Football or Hurling only.. no other sports gets a look in. Every county (32 of them) have big central stadiums devoted to GAA in their county team. These 32 stadiums range from 15,000 to 60,000 then you still have Croke Park 82,500 at the top of the tree. Every parish (small village/town) has their own pitch, many with stands and these days gyms for all their teams. Cracking this market is impossible as its grained into the Irish peoples make up. I'm from a town or village whatever you would like to call it of 1,200 people and there's two teams from U8 right up to senior, everyone is involved.

I actually think the lads here are losing track of the recent work the IRFU have done for RU. It's actually much more than a middle class sport these days with working class lads from typical Irish towns of Navan, Sligo and Cavan to name a few playing the game in what are still heavy GAA areas but RU is now getting a look in. I picked up the Sligo Champion (local paper) a few months back and they had two full pages on RU which I couldn't get my head around, granted there was still 10 pages on GAA. I see a few family's from rough neighbourhoods are now involved in RU and if keeps them off the towns causing trouble than great, their less of a hassle to the local community.

RU has four fully professional teams which are all financially successful. Munster are in debt after building a 26,000 seater stadium but are paying it off now. Ulster redeveloped their stadium to 18,000 while Leinster are redeveloping their stadium to 25,000. Connacht are picking up too surprisingly. While the national team is the cash cow on top of everything. In that respect the game is sorted and now very well established.

Soccer is actually the poor relation which might surprise many on here. The Irish soccer top league play in poor stadiums in need of repair and don't have a foothold in many parts of Ireland. At one point after a few of the world cups in the 90s after Irish success I thought it would take over from the GAA but it simply doesn't have the same resources.

I don't think Ireland could even sustain a RL League 1 side as the season clashes with the end of the RU season and then start, middle and end of the GAA county and club season by which point the RU teams will have long gone back for pre-season training. It's got zero tradition in Ireland meaning your average joe simply won't turn up and watch, besides sponsors would not be so forthcoming with a sport they know nothing about.

Sorry to sound negative but I think the RFL would be wasting money by putting it into Ireland, I just cant for the life of me ever see it going anywhere. They would be much better getting more support in UK cities of Newcastle and Sheffield.

League man 123.....yep your dead right in what you said /typed in the above....but let's look at what's happening and not what/might happen.....two Sunday's ago in Ashbourne rfc...75 u19's turned up for league trails ...there was at least the same no of parents there...they came from mullingar/Carlow/Wicklow/Dundalk/tulloow/new bridge /Dublin/roscrea.....now here's the point I'm making ...which of them parents grew up on league??????...none of them ..all Irish born bred and reared ....bar two or three Nigerians (not exactly a league hotbed)..also the kids came from private schools and public schools,from union areas -soccer areas-football/hurling areas....this is our seed and our toe in the water...next year wen these lads look for clubs they will tell their friends about league and so on and so on....that's 75 new boys playing league...ITS ABOUT INTEREST.....20 years ago did you know that Ireland was a hotbed for surfing....no ...neither did I or 99% of the country ...now it's becoming a surfing Mecca ....the point is ...Rome wasn't built in a day brother

good to see someone with a passion for the sport. I was in Europe for 1st time last October and made it to the Ireland vs France game at Tallaght stadium noticed people wearing Irish rugby league under 19 jackets operating the ticket booth's and selling programs. crowd was 1,500 couple hundred of them were french supporters. Noticed a few people in the crowd wearing a variety of irish league jerseys and RFL Ceo Nigel Wood was in the crowd. Good game Irish came to play and were dominating the game till 60 minute mark the French woke up scored a couple of trys and looked like they were going to win until late try sealed the victory for Ireland. The match program had contact details of Irish league clubs, metioned the irish u19 sides games and Irish top side featued a couple of irish residents.

Hey kiwis ....wat was your experience of the game and in your opinion is the potential here for the game to make the next step so to speak....also the game vs France would of been finished by half time had the Irish kicker not been Aiming for the posts

some potential there crowd of 1,500 is a good start, standard was around nsw cup/champ 1 level. need promotion in newspapers radio etc, read a few papers in dublin no mention of game... really underground type of thing. good how Irish RL had included all clubs contact details & upcoming game against scotland in match program. 

My advice to 1st time travellers to dublin book accomodation in advance if your arriving in the weekend only place in Europe i had any problems rocking up and finding a place and expense as well 48 euro for a 4 bed dorm room & 78 euro breakfast included  in my own room in a pub the next night... 

some potential there crowd of 1,500 is a good start, standard was around nsw cup/champ 1 level. need promotion in newspapers radio etc, read a few papers in dublin no mention of game... really underground type of thing. good how Irish RL had included all clubs contact details & upcoming game against scotland in match program.

My advice to 1st time travellers to dublin book accomodation in advance if your arriving in the weekend only place in Europe i had any problems rocking up and finding a place and expense as well 48 euro for a 4 bed dorm room & 78 euro breakfast included in my own room in a pub the next night...

....cheers lad

I wish ireland rugby league thought of something like this (Mod note: http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/263798-malta-vs-belgium-coming-to-headingley-21st-june/ ) ...imagine the attention in local press in Ireland if we could be playing a game at headingly or the jjb.....the potential in Ireland is massive ...I am personally a witness to the great potential by being involved in the u19's selection process....it hurts my head to see the poor decisions constantly being made on our green shores

Archived