Jump to content

Recommended Posts


(I've started this thread today because of the events in Texas.)

On the 25th May 1787 the United States Constitutional Congress began at which the US Constitution was written.

4 years later the 2nd amendment to that document was ratified. That amendment is the right to bear arms which is the excuse all the American gun nuts hide behind whenever there is a mass shooting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

(I've started this thread today because of the events in Texas.)

On the 25th May 1787 the United States Constitutional Congress began at which the US Constitution was written.

4 years later the 2nd amendment to that document was ratified. That amendment is the right to bear arms which is the excuse all the American gun nuts hide behind whenever there is a mass shooting. 

Isn’t it in there as a right to bare/bear arms in an organised militias. That seems to be how it was intended almost a cheap way of the US having an army. Its so ingrained now in the US and people make so much money out of it it’s almost impossible to see a time when  guns would be banned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Isn’t it in there as a right to bare/bear arms in an organised militias. That seems to be how it was intended almost a cheap way of the US having an army. Its so ingrained now in the US and people make so much money out of it it’s almost impossible to see a time when  guns would be banned. 

That is essentially what it actually means, basically civilians are allowed to own a gun in case they need to be recruited into a militia to defend the US should it be invaded given that at the time it was ratified the British, Spanish and French Empires all bordered the US and they hadn't had long enough to establish a strong, professional army. However, given that in the modern day the US has the most powerful army in the world you would think the right to bear arms is redundant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another interesting one. On this day in 1521, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passed the Edict of Worms which outlawed the writings and teachings of Martin Luther in an attempt to curb the spread of protestantism in Europe. However if anything the edict strengthened the influence protestantism was having and spread Luther's ideas even further leading to the large divisions there is within Christianity even to this day. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh this is me … I have two today in history / on this day apps and I look at them every day . I’m a history nut but  still very interesting . First thing I usually check is WW2, and I see today is the day the battle of Dunkirk began 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Oh this is me … I have two today in history / on this day apps and I look at them every day . I’m a history nut but  still very interesting . First thing I usually check is WW2, and I see today is the day the battle of Dunkirk began 

Yeah there's a couple of history YouTube channels I subscribe to that post on this day stuff. That's where I got the Edict of Worms from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On this day in history two great monarchs were crowned. In 1805, Emperor Napoleon I was proclaimed King of Italy and crowned in Milan and in 1896 Tsar Nicholas II was crowned the last Tsar of Russia in Moscow. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

- Operation Dynamo , the evacuation of Dunkirk , begins 

- Dracula is published in 1897

- Nicholas II becomes the last Tsar , 1894

- Charles II and Louis XIV sign the secret treaty of Dover 1670

- King Edmund I is murdered ,946

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On this day in history two great American landmarks opened. 

In 1930 the Chrysler Building was opened in New York becoming the tallest building in the world. 

In 1937 the Golden Gate Bridge opened in San Francisco becoming the longest suspension bridge in the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few interesting ones today. 

On this day in 1453 Constantinople falls to the Ottomans after almost 2 months under siege bringing an end to the Byzantine Empire. 

On this day in 1953, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgey reached the summit of Everest becoming the first people known to have done so. 

On this day in 1982, the British won the Battle of Goose Green in the Falklands War. 😁😁😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Start of the Peasants Revolt … That lovely guy Henry VIII married Jane Seymour … Crete falls after a stunning airborne invasion , the first in history 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on this day 2021 - i was still sat in my work clothes trawling through the TRL forums- exactly at this time too

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

on this day 2021 - i was still sat in my work clothes trawling through the TRL forums- exactly at this time too

I’m scrolling through but I can’t find this on my ‘ On This Day ‘ app Johnny . Disgracefully 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m scrolling through but I can’t find this on my ‘ On This Day ‘ app Johnny . Disgracefully 

never had an app- or a smartfone- i refuse to comply to the brainwashing

Edited by graveyard johnny

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...