2021 World Cup Eligible Nations

Whilst I know we haven't yet reached the 2017 World Cup, with some qualifiers yet to be played, for me one of the most encouraging signs for the growth of the code internationally is how many new nations will be in the mix when we start talking about 2021.

For a sport which struggled to fill 16 spots in 2000 (creating heritage teams like Lebanon), for the latest RLWC, 25 nations were in the mix for the 14 spots on offer. Each with some sort of domestic setup.

Looking ahead, based upon the progress already made in so many nations, that number is set to drastically increase.

Using just countries that already have domestic structures / games in place and are on track to satisfy the qualification requirements for a World Cup, I could name another 19 nations in the mix.

Whilst of course some will drop out, others won't develop as quickly and of course just like Spain, someone will come from nowhere, it is very encouraging and somethingto be excited about.

I've added the nations I feel will be in the mix for 2021 with a * indicating that they are now eligible for the first time.

Europe

Czech Republic *

Denmark *

England

France

Greece

Hungary *

Ireland

Italy

Lativa

Malta

Norway *

Poland *

Russia

Scotland

Serbia

Spain

Sweden *

Ukraine

Wales

Asia

Hong Kong *

Japan *

Philippines *

Thailand *

Pacific

Australia

Cook Islands

Fiji

New Zealand

Papua New Guinea

Samoa

Solomon Islands *

Tonga

Vanuatu *

Americas

Argentina *

Brazil *

Canada

Jamaica

Mexico *

United States

Middle East-Africa

Burundi *

Ghana *

Nigeria *

Lebanon

Sierra Leone *

South Africa

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

From what I recall, I'd say Chile are more likely than Brazil at this stage

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Belgium and Netherlands? Both have small domestic leagues, starting this year in the case of Belgium.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived